Author Topic: Best used 4x4 for under 10k?  (Read 32746 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Best used 4x4 for under 10k?
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 12:12:50 pm »
What exactly do you need it for? When someone says 4*4 I think of skid plates, locking diffs, and winches. AWD makes me think of Audi Quattros. How many people do you carry? Cargo? Dirtbikes? Hunting?

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 12:14:39 pm »
As a service advisor, we used to rub our hands with glee when we saw a Grand Cherokee drive in because we knew the bill would be at least a grand. That's why they were called "Grand" Cherokees!
Or was it that you pushed unnecessary work on naive, unsuspecting customers?  :P

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 12:50:45 pm »
Well,I don't know about HO but none of the service advisors had to push work on me....there was always plenty that needed to be done!
 I was always the one describing the problems that needed repair. ("the power windows don't work,the front end's clunking,the rear diff's whining,the front end's clunking,the wipers don't work,the front end's clunking,the rear wiper doesn't work,the front end's clunking,the alternator's overcharging,the front end's clunking"....did I mention it had a lot of front end troubles ;D ::) )

The smartest thing I ever did was insist on a 4 year warranty being included to match the term of the lease!
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

jeremyb

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 04:31:15 pm »
I wouldn't even think of buying a Jeep.  Just looking at carsurvey.org is enough to put me off for life.

To answer the question why I need one, I live in NB, on a hill.  The plow doesn;t always get to me in time for me to get out of my street, so I need the 4 wheels to move to simply get me out of my driveway in snow/ice.  I'd actually much rather have a small economical car, but there isn't much choice, so I am expecting to have to buy an SUV. This past winter I had a '94 Chevy Astro AWD which was awesome in the snow.  But it has problems that are uneconomical to fix, so I'm thinking I need to get something else. 

Appreciate all the advice/suggestions guys - thanks! 

p.s. I've just found out I can't get credit, so I've started a new thread - best 4x4 for under $3k!!!!

Honda Owner

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 08:24:17 pm »
Well,I don't know about HO but none of the service advisors had to push work on me....there was always plenty that needed to be done!

Very true. First brakes, they always need brakes and rotors, too. Next to go is the transfer case input seal, specifically designed to fail first because it is the hardest one to replace. Add some hear/air blend doors, a smidgen of track bar and ball joints, fuel pump and for desert a diff rebuild.

A fine automobile if there was was one. Actually, before 1999 they were not too bad.

I wouldn't even think of buying a Jeep

We used to joke JEEP means, Just Empty Every Pocket

Wpg_gal

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 08:40:17 pm »
I'm another one that would suggest the Pathfinder.  I've had my '98 LE for 3.5 years and other then change the oil we've had to do nothing to it.  The 4x4 is great for our Manitoba winters, great even on  icy roads.  Some cons are: not alot of cargo room, not alot of head room (I'm 6'tall and have to watch how I get into it!), they are LOUD on the hwy (wind noise), and they do blow around alot.  BUT for a vehicle of any kinda that can go this long without something major going wrong is a pretty good one in my books!!

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 11:27:27 pm »
Older Jeep Cherokees are holding up well, esp say 94-2001.  Often get 300K km on the inline 6.  The 4-speed Auto is Aisin sourced (not ChryCo) and the 5-speed is very solid.

God no! And that is speaking as a Chrysler service guy. The engines and trannies stand up but nothing else does ....

What else is there?  The transfer cases are all simple and reliable.  AC and power windows don't last forever regardless of the make.   

Honda Owner

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 01:41:15 pm »
What else is there?  The transfer cases are all simple and reliable.

It is not so much the parts, which are actually outrageously expensive for things like ball joints and track bars. It is the book labour charges.

He or She who buys a Jeep be warned: It means Just Empty Every Pocket. Heed this warning or pay. And you will pay, especially at the gas pumps and then everywhere else. I know of what I speak.

I'm another one that would suggest the Pathfinder.  I've had my '98 LE for 3.5 years and other then change the oil we've had to do nothing to it

This will NOT be an owner's experience in a Jeep. The Pathfinder is an an excellent vehicle. I would not hesitate to recommend one to anyone.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 05:59:41 pm »
My anecdotal experience talking to JGC owners is that while the engines and drivelines aren't too bad, it's mostly everything that's attached to the them.  Front end parts fail frequently, AC systems are in need of constant repair, emissions related items are headaches, and so on.

When you consider the MSRP of a late 90's Jeep GC, they should be priced higher than they are.  They were  a fairly high end SUV when new.  Pathfinders are priced higher, but I bet it's because they're much better in terms of operating costs.  Toyota 4-Runners are priced higher yet, and I'm not sure if they're worth the premium over a Pathfinder.  When I see what my neighbours paid for a 2001 Pathfinder about 5 years ago, and the superb reliability and low operating costs they've had, I don't see why they don't hold their value better, but oh, well, that's fine for those of us that buy used.

jts

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 03:38:48 pm »
I've had great experiences with Tahoes. I recommend you look at Tahoes/Yukons or Suburbans if you need something that big.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 11:38:30 pm »
I'll add a vote for the second-generation Pathfinder.  I think the '99 1/2 model was the second-generation body with an engine that used regular fuel.  Soon after that they had a larger engine that required premium.

The versions with All-Mode (awd) will be better for winter highway use than the simpler 4wd versions that can't use 4wd on bare pavement.

I believe some or all of the QX4's had distance sensing radar/cruise control, one of the first vehicles to have that.  Would be nice to have.

4-Runners of the same era are prone to rusting, have a narrow cabin and high floor, a higher center of gravity, and ridiculous used prices.  imho they are inferior to the Pathfincer, but cost more.

Probably none of the new generation Grand Vitaras are under $10,000 yet.  Maybe a base version with high mileage. 
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 11:41:13 pm »
I'll add a vote for the second-generation Pathfinder.  I think the '99 1/2 model was the second-generation body with an engine that used regular fuel.  Soon after that they had a larger engine that required premium.

The versions with All-Mode (awd) will be better for winter highway use than the simpler 4wd versions that can't use 4wd on bare pavement.

I believe some or all of the QX4's had distance sensing radar/cruise control, one of the first vehicles to have that.  Would be nice to have.

4-Runners of the same era are prone to rusting, have a narrow cabin and high floor, a higher center of gravity, and ridiculous used prices.  imho they are inferior to the Pathfincer, but cost more.

Probably none of the new generation Grand Vitaras are under $10,000 yet.  Maybe a base version with high mileage. 

I dunno...the Pathfinder/QX4 until 2001 was pretty pathetic power-wise.  It could not get out of it's own way...it was REALLY underpowered.  165HP IIRC.  In 2001 they got a bump to 240 IIRC.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 11:39:39 am »

The more things change the more they stay the same. That statement could be applied to the latest generation 4Runner.

Roddy

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 09:42:26 pm »
Hi - need a 4x4 or AWD for under $10,000.  Priority is reliability balanced with value for money - in fact, nothing else matters.  What is your recommendation?

Thank you!

If reliability is your priority:

4 runners
pathfinds
outbacks
Rav 4
CRV

are the best choices but good used examples don't come too cheap.