Author Topic: Road Trip: 2013 Buick Enclave, Banff, Alberta  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Road Trip: 2013 Buick Enclave, Banff, Alberta
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:30:54 am »

Tom packs his family into the Enclave for an Alberta Road Trip to one of Canada's most majestic National Parks: Banff.

Read More...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Road Trip: 2013 Buick Enclave, Banff, Alberta
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:27:46 am »
Neat review. I stayed at that hotel for three weeks last year coming up with as built drawings for their mechanical system. Wish I knew that I stayed at the greatest sock sliding venue. Lol.

I love this car, but not at that brand new price. I'll take a four year old model for $21k instead. :)

Offline dewey9315

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:03:19 am »
One of the best looking CUV's out there in my opinion. Curious what mileage would be if you could stuff a 5.3L V8 into it..... ;D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:17:27 am »
Nice article Tom.  Not to bust your chops, but Calgary is east of Vancouver.

Did you drive down last weekend?  I was coming back from Banff on Sunday and it was a blizzard.  Got to Calgary and it was even worse.  I managed just fine my FWD Protege with Nokian Hakka 7s on it, although it was pretty scary on Stoney trail.  Visibility was 0 and there was already a good 10-15 cm of snow on the ground.  I would say your fuel economy is not bad given the size and load.  I managed a trip average of 7.7 (my car is rated at 7.2 on highway) on an old school 4 cylinder that came out in the early 90s and was only slightly changed over the years.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:11:50 am »
I was going to comment on the West of Vancouver bit, but since someone has already pointed that out ^^, I'll just point out that the article suggests that Tom was more impressed by the sushi than the Enclave since this is the first review I've ever seen of sushi on Autos.ca.

It's also interesting that Tom consistently points out how massive, bloated, fat, whatever, this vehicle is, though he quickly reminds the reader that it doesn't feel that way...so, if it doesn't feel that way, why keep bringing it up unless it stuck in your mind of feeling like a beast?

It also sounds like the Enclave suffers from what I consider to be insufficient power - again, 290hp is not a small amount, and I am not calling it insufficient to MOVE the thing, but to lug around such mass, a more powerful engine may be more efficient.  Or a diesel, mayhaps?

The one reason I think I've ever overlook my GM hatred and look at a Buick is their new cabins...over and over again we hear about how solid, unrattly (I like making up words sometimes), and quiet they are.  It's certainly something to consider when depicting luxury.

$60k doesn't seem ridiculous compared to the Merc GL, or even at a ~$13k premium over a loaded Traverse or Acadia...but yet, I could never bring myself to spend that kind of cash on a Buick.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:35:29 am »
Nice report.  Reminded me of how much I dislike the Banff townsite.

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:51:00 am »
The Enclave is a compelling choice for nice upper middle-class families in nice neighbourhoods who do nice things and want a nice large family hauler...especially if they take car-trip vacations. Well featured, well-refined, super comfy and a total marshmallow on the road. It was made for Banff.

I bet it could be had for closer to 50k at certain times of the year vs the as-tested price of 60k.

I think I'd take the Ford Flex for style reasons.

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 11:05:57 am »
Don't take this thing on even a rough gravel road.  Friend has one and those 20" wheels and low profile tires turned into 2 flats on a shale gravel road. 

Remember the outcry over the Ford Expedition when it came out? What a massive useless beast it was?  How dangerous it was to everything on the road?

This thing is within a hair of the same dimensions as the first Expedition.  How times change.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 12:13:52 pm »
It still looks to big and bloated.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »
Don't take this thing on even a rough gravel road.  Friend has one and those 20" wheels and low profile tires turned into 2 flats on a shale gravel road. 

Remember the outcry over the Ford Expedition when it came out? What a massive useless beast it was?  How dangerous it was to everything on the road?

This thing is within a hair of the same dimensions as the first Expedition.  How times change.

The Expedition is about 500kg heavier, and casts a bigger shadow. The Excursion is the one that really ticked people off and it weighed in at better than 3300kg, 1000kg heavier than the Enclave.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 12:33:04 pm »
Some things don't change.  This Buick is a really nice soft rolly polly floater just like the Buicks of my dad's day.  He'd be 95 this year. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 03:14:44 pm »
Some things don't change.  This Buick is a really nice soft rolly polly floater just like the Buicks of my dad's day.  He'd be 95 this year.
good things for this segment, and what did you expect? FRS levels of cornering grip and a V10? It hauls family around well and in comfort. Want razor sharp driving dynamics, you are looking at the wrong segment buddy. That being said, I would never buy this behemoth. Wagons do just fine thanks.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 03:20:23 pm »

And thats their target audience, people that cant afford a Toyota Avalon but still want to ride on a morphine cloud.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 03:27:37 pm »
There are 5 or 6 of them in the few blocks around my house. I don't think any of the drivers would be older than 50.

The demographics of the Enclave put the median buyer in their mid 40s IIRC.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 10:21:57 pm »
In the mountains, the Enclave handled any curves I threw at it, even at high speeds.

Just curious about where there are sufficiently sharp corners taken near the speed limit on the highways between Edmonton and Banff that would challenge the handling of any car.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline mrori

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 11:14:32 pm »

And thats their target audience, people that cant afford a Toyota Avalon but still want to ride on a morphine cloud.

That is not their target anymore. 
Please check prices before you make a statment like this.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 11:55:51 pm »
Well written, entertaining review. Makes me want to go to Banff again. The big Buick gets a pretty fair shake, I think.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 12:57:34 pm »
good things for this segment, and what did you expect? FRS levels of cornering grip and a V10? It hauls family around well and in comfort. Want razor sharp driving dynamics, you are looking at the wrong segment buddy. That being said, I would never buy this behemoth. Wagons do just fine thanks.

I wasn't expecting it to have the cornering grip of anything near a V10.  I'm saying the vehicle is big and soft suspended with not so great driving dynamics like the Buiks of old.    Wagons, like my Golf, do just fine for me too thanks.

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 06:57:17 am »
what the hell were you reading?