Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Scion FR-S  (Read 17874 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Scion FR-S
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:05:44 am »

One of the most hyped vehicles in recent memory may actually live up to it.

Read More...

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
Re: First Drive: 2013 Scion FR-S
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 05:40:59 am »
This little car would absolutely shine from Revelstoke to Banff, that is  the kind of road this little car would love. I love the light weight o this car and the balance it seems to have. You really don't need huge power and it is more often than not a waste of money. This car must go well indeed with its flat four. Very cool, too, and with Japanese reliability. Subaru is now rated #1 in quality.

I am waiting to test drive one.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:11:19 am »
If they had put the engine in the back they could have called it the Scion 912.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:16:37 am »
"I included" How about correcting this to "myself included".  Time for the editor to caffine up.

What a difference in the cruising rpm from automatic to manual.  I'd have to say this is almost punishing as it seems the cabin is noisy anyway.   Obviously the longest trip the planners had anticipated for the manual is a trip to the track.

So it appears from all of the glowing reviews, this joint Subaru/Toyota effort is a real winner no matter which nameplate it bears.   Nice to see someone hit one out of the park at a reasonable price point.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:20:24 am »
It looks like this car will put Scion on the map in Canada

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:21:21 am »
I recently read an article on Road and Track that compared the Subaru BRZ with the MX-5 and Genesis Coupe.  In all the performance tests the Genesis beat both, but the subjective stuff was won by the BRZ and in the end the BRZ won the competition.  Now I agree with the two cars that they compared the BRZ to but I would have also added the Mustang V6 due to the price being basically the same and it's the best V6 muscle car right now.  I'm thinking the Mustang would have made things a bit harder to pick the BRZ but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if they still ended up with the same conclusion.

I wonder if these FR-S and BRZ will spawn any other vehicle for Subaru or Toyota.  I'm sure a Impressa or a Corola would work pretty well with those power trains.  I also wouldn't be against there being a small 4 door RWD sedan based off this vehicle.  Personally I think the Subaru BRZ seems like a bit better package but for sure I wouldn't question someone paying a bit less for the Scion. 

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 08:20:24 am »
There is a lot of excitement around this car that I don't fully understand.

"Those hung up on 0-60 times and horsepower numbers won’t ‘get’ this car and most likely, won’t physically get this car. However, there is a demographic of enthusiasts out there this car will instantly relate too; there is a reason why cars like the Nissan 240SX, Toyota Corolla AE86 and Mazda Miata have cult like followings."

These words in the article made me question why James went for 400+HP in his S2000 when 240 was obviously enough?  ::)
The car looks good. From the article, it also sounds and feels good AND will easily take mods. Why then install a roll cage but not bump the HP?

Wonder what the insurance will be like given "it begs to be driven hard"

Overall, great effort from two solid car makers.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 08:34:50 am »

These words in the article made me question why James went for 400+HP in his S2000 when 240 was obviously enough?  ::)
The car looks good. From the article, it also sounds and feels good AND will easily take mods. Why then install a roll cage but not bump the HP?

Don't get me wrong, any car can use more hp and this one should easily handle it, but as it stands it is all about perfect balance between power/weight and handling.  Snowman seems to enjoy driving his 240 hp S2000 as much as his 360 hp TT-RS.

As for James, I can't speak for him but what he did was build a race car.  He needs that power to compete.  Ask him how streetable the car is now (if it were even street legal anymore) ;)

After driving this car I was convinced to buy the 1990 Miata in my other thread due to the pure driving pleasure of it.

Unless you have the skill of a James and can squeeze every ounce of performance from a 400+ hp race car, cars like these offer the most driving pleasure, and entertaining track experience, for a novice driver.*

* Novice driver = someone who doesn't posses a racing/competition license and/or has not taken several driving schools or had dozens of hours behind the wheel at a racetrack...in other words, me.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:42:57 am »
No picture of the centreline marker at the windshield base being the coolest exterior feature?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 08:58:39 am »
No picture of the centreline marker at the windshield base being the coolest exterior feature?

Uh yeah...opps

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 09:18:37 am »
"I included" How about correcting this to "myself included".  Time for the editor to caffeine up.

Fixed it for you, but what an unfortunate typo for the Grammar Police!

Not much I can add to the fray - I, like everyone else, am really looking forward to test-driving this thing. The one surprising thing I keep reading is how good the auto trans. is, and how it still offers a rewarding driving experience. Will look forward to finding out first-hand.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 09:49:09 am »

It always surprises me when people say they don't understand why we are excited about a lightweight, affordable, awesome handling sports coupe. This is literally the only compact RWD coupe on the market for under $30k.

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 09:57:16 am »
Is there a practical difference between this and the Subaru? Some one pointed out a price difference...is that it?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 09:59:02 am »
Is there a practical difference between this and the Subaru? Some one pointed out a price difference...is that it?

Price difference in conjunction with content difference (Subaru gets more goodies).  Also, styling slightly different

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 09:59:15 am »
There is a lot of excitement around this car and for very good reason IMHO.  Personally, I am looking very forward to test driving this car......whenever that might be.  While some complain that it is only putting out 200 hp, I would much rather have a well balanced car pushing out 200 hp than something soft and sloppy that has 300 hp.  I think this car will sell quite well. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 10:06:35 am »
Man, what a sweet ride.  Happy days for enthusiasts indeed. 

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 10:11:45 am »
"Those hung up on 0-60 times and horsepower numbers won’t ‘get’ this car and most likely, won’t physically get this car. However, there is a demographic of enthusiasts out there this car will instantly relate too; there is a reason why cars like the Nissan 240SX, Toyota Corolla AE86 and Mazda Miata have cult like followings."

I am in this cult! Very glad to see this on the market. There are a lot of options out there for people who like big power, big tires, and the brute-force capabilities that are not really exploitable on the street. Not so many like this one, which are more about the feel rather than the all out capability.

Next problem is to figure out how to convince myself that I need it...

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 10:15:46 am »
This is literally the only compact RWD coupe on the market for under $30k.

This statement alone cancels your entire post.
Try this link
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6838
There are AT LEAST 2 OTHERS. MX-5 great top down fun, and the Genesis provides more HP. I know I know it's not all about HP. But on the road, won't you feel, shall I say, a bit inferior and short changed eating Genesis' dust with its 270?HP

I AM one of those Mike referred to as 'not getting it'
It doesn't offer the freedom and fun of top down motoring the MX-5 does. And it's not up to snuff when it comes to HP.
That leaves it as a competent track tool which is all good. The centre of gravity is even lower than the 911!!! Yey!!! Exactly how many of the 2,000 projected units will ever see the track?
Just asking...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 10:25:33 am »
This is literally the only compact RWD coupe on the market for under $30k.

This statement alone cancels your entire post.
Try this link
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6838
There are AT LEAST 2 OTHERS. MX-5 great top down fun, and the Genesis provides more HP. I know I know it's not all about HP. But on the road, won't you feel, shall I say, a bit inferior and short changed eating Genesis' dust with its 270?HP

I AM one of those Mike referred to as 'not getting it'
It doesn't offer the freedom and fun of top down motoring the MX-5 does. And it's not up to snuff when it comes to HP.
That leaves it as a competent track tool which is all good. The centre of gravity is even lower than the 911!!! Yey!!! Exactly how many of the 2,000 projected units will ever see the track?
Just asking...

My S2000 isn't up to snuff either in terms of today's HP either.  It's not all about HP.  My S2000 can have it's doors blown off by a ton of vehicles on the road today......probably even by a V6 Camry.  But I love the S2000 because it handles so damn well, has a world class transmission, and a redline that leaves me with a perma grin.  You've posted a few times that your bimmer provides you with certain feel and driving dynamics that you love........same could be said with this car. 

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 10:31:37 am »
Small, light, agile...I would love to get my hands on one of these!   :love:
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson