Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Highline  (Read 8802 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Highline
« on: August 08, 2014, 06:28:36 am »

Clean lines and a solid hybrid powertrain elevate this Jetta above its brethren.

Read More...

Offline gtolusso

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2002 BMW 325xiT
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Highline
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 08:21:55 am »
I've been driving a 2013 Jetta Hybrid Comfortline (one trim level down from the one reviewed here) since this past May.  I would pretty much echo the reviewers comments on all fronts.  What impresses me most about the car is its overall smoothness.  The switchover from gas to electric power and back is done without drama or the shuddering that plagues even some high end auto start/stop systems like the one on the current BMW 328i.  As the reviewer notes, the car also suits multiple driving styles.  I prefer the "egg between your foot and the pedal" approach and have been rewarded with average fuel consumption (according to the useful on-board monitor) of 5.6 litres/100 km.  The only real difference between a regular Jetta and the Hybrid is the regenerative braking system.  If you adopt the "egg" approach, you'll notice little difference, but if you're used to stomping the pedal, the system can be grabby and lurchy.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 09:00:19 am »
Absolutely pointless car in VW nomenclature considering the both: most frugal and reliable of all Jettas - the venerable TDI!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:12:35 am »
I'll echo the age-old question: And then reason one buys this over a Jetta TDI is......?
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:15:15 am »
I'll echo the age-old question: And then reason one buys this over a Jetta TDI is......?

Most of their driving is done in the city.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 09:47:40 am »
"Sure, it’s a big step up from the $14,990 base Jetta to this one at $35,300 but it comes with an equivalent step up in terms of features and driving experience – not to mention green credibility."    ;D ;D

Understatement of the day/week/month! Much better, rather, to buy the base model of an expensive vehicle than the expensive model of a base vehicle.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:48:58 am »
6.8 l/100 km doesn't justify the price premium for me.  My 14 Passat TSI is showing average fuel consumption to be 7.2.   The best I got was 5.2 all highway at 90 to 100 km/hr on a secondary road.  The worst was 8.4 in mostly city driving.  Both are better than the ratings.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 09:53:21 am »
As a TDI driver I was very surprised by how much I liked the Jetta Turbo Hybrid. Not much compromise from the battery pack packaging and it drives pretty well, aside from the brake pedal feel which I kind of got used to. In 85% elevated speed highway driving I even achieved the same mileage (5.7L/100kms over 1,200 kms) as a Jetta TDI DSG, atlhough I was more conscious of my driving style in the Hybrid becasue the gizmos encourage you to be. If a city dweller, I'd think hard about this car.

To turn on the fog lights pull out the headlight knob. No idea what the other 3-bar thing you're talking about is.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:56:36 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 09:58:53 am »
Mileage seems overwhelming low in my opinion...considering the Prius - which was recently tested as well - achieved 4.9L/100Km

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 10:18:17 am »
If you want the fuel mileage and the hybrid halo, Prius is the way to go, not this one. Plus, you'save thousands in the purchase price.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:21:38 am »
"Sure, it’s a big step up from the $14,990 base Jetta to this one at $35,300 but it comes with an equivalent step up in terms of features and driving experience – not to mention green credibility."    ;D ;D

Understatement of the day/week/month! Much better, rather, to buy the base model of an expensive vehicle than the expensive model of a base vehicle.

I disagree completely. To me the base model of the Jetta is irrelevant because I wouldn't want one with a 2.0 and no amenities.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:24 am »
The TDI makes no sense unless you drive nearly all highway, I'd argue most won't see a payback otherwise.    With all the expense/problems of exhaust treatment and volatile diesel prices, unless you have to have a stick the hybrid makes more sense in that case.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:37:49 am »
The TDI makes no sense unless you drive nearly all highway, I'd argue most won't see a payback otherwise.    With all the expense/problems of exhaust treatment and volatile diesel prices, unless you have to have a stick the hybrid makes more sense in that case.

You can drive a TDI into the ground and you'll still see a payback when you sell it on top of fuel savings.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 11:31:28 am »
Normally I'm one to say "Hybrid = city, TDI = highway", but I'm inclined to agree with WRX_Pilot here (because he has great taste in cars ;D).  The TDI made a LOT of sense before it went to the urea after-treatment, but now it is more of a pain - I'm waiting to see if there's an issue with the urea line freezing a la BMW - http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/long-term-test-wrap-2014-bmw-328d-xdrive-diesel/.

My only real issue with the hybrid is the compromise.  I have the RX400h, which has no trunk compromises (except for the massive heft, crappier electric steering, and grabby brakes), but I do get 8-10 MPG better than any RX350 whether it's highway or city (though more likely city).  I find driving a hybrid kinda fun and it slows you down (saves money on insurance and speeding tickets?).  Every day when I lurch up the off-ramp at Allen Rd and Lawrence, I chuckle at all others using piggish amounts of gas while I get >99.9 MPG (i.e. zero gas used).  Small victories, but a victory all the same.

If you try to economize hybrids, their purchase price only makes sense for those who drive A LOT and alter their driving style for the type of vehicle purchased.

As for the Jetta Hybrid, if it got 6.8L/100km with Sir Black driving it, then it's got to be one of the most efficient rigs out there.  He did, as we recall, get worse fuel economy with the Crosstrek hybrid than the conventional Crosstrek, after all.  Silly Aussie.

I applaud VW for still maintaining the folding rear seats even with the battery pack in the way.  At least skis can still be placed in the car.  A decent compromise if a compromise must be had.

Offline dtep

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 12:17:04 pm »
Great car! Excited to see what VW will come up with for future hybrids. Maybe a new plug-in hybrid?? (similar to A3's e-tron???)

Hybrid and GLI are the only Jetta variants I would consider buying until VW gives us the 1.4TSI facelifted Jetta (to replace the 2.slow) for 2015/16 model year! For sub $20k, the 1.4 TSI Jetta will probably fly off the lot when it arrives  :o

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »
From the article:
The EV mode unfortunately has no hold function on it so you can’t decide when to save battery power and when to use it. Why does that matter? Well I knew I was coming up on a traffic snarl, so wanted to save battery power so I could use almost no engine during my traffic jam escapade. But the system kept using battery power because I was cruising along at 105 km/h. When I got to the blockage, the battery was only a quarter full, and the engine ran pretty much the whole time I was doing less than 30. What a waste! Having driven the Volt (granted, a much more significant battery and electric motor) with this save function, I now think it’s a must-have for all hybrids, even non-plug-in hybrids such as this.

I too find this a deficiency.  In my case, I know ahead of time if I'm going to be going up or down a long hill, and I'd like to be able to, say, drain the hybrid battery as much as allowed before retarding the speed on the downhill.  That way I could get more benefit from the boost prior to the descent and be able to replenish all of that on the descent.  The solution is an integrated gps system that keeps track of the terrain, and I understand something like a Bentley hybrid will have this.

In traffic jams, the Escape Hybrid will run the engine continuously only if the a/c is on the normal setting.  In that mode, the interior temperature will be maintained at the setting. If you press the "eco" button, it will shut off the engine if it feels the cabin temperature is close enough to the setting.  In this setting, you can stop or start the engine by using the "eco" button.  This is different for the '10 Escape Hybrid and the peer Prius' because they switched to an electric compressor for the a/c.

With the a/c off and in clogged traffic, the Escape will start the engine only occasionally and run it long enough only to recharge the battery to the 50% level. So in this situation the engine is off most of the time.  It does this all by itself, and the Escape's engine stops and starts are not obnoxious. At driving speed, passengers don't even notice it.  And that's an '09.  It sure seems dumb when you are surrounded by cars not moving and yet their engines are running.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 07:02:40 am »
"save function, I now think it’s a must-have for all hybrids"

I agree.  It would certainly help on my Prius with the small battery as I generally know the roads I'm on.  Maxing battery use would be a huge advantage.

But as far as the Jetta Hybrid is concerned, at $35k, I'd take the Volt or plugin Prius way ahead of it.  If you drive hard enough to make the brakes fade on flat roads, maybe a hybrid is not for you.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 10:42:59 am »

^This right here.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 10:28:43 am »
"save function, I now think it’s a must-have for all hybrids"

I agree.  It would certainly help on my Prius with the small battery as I generally know the roads I'm on.  Maxing battery use would be a huge advantage.
Honestly, I was talking this over with mi papa this morning on our commute in the RX400h (averaged 31.2 MPG over 13km, 25 mins - less traffic in the morning - evening commute is same 13km, but 40-45 mins and usually 36 MPG).

While our commute has slow-downs and speed-ups, I don't think I'd ever actually use a 'save' function.  I can modulate that with my driving behaviour instead.  I'm happier with a "drive-it and forget-it" kind of function, rather than when the new hybrids came out with the "EV" mode, "Eco" mode, and "power" mode.  If I want "power", I push the accelerator.  If I want EV, I tap the pedal gently (AFAIK, if you push the pedal in EV mode, the engine will kick in any way).  If I want normal, I drive normally.  All of these 'modes' are just games that take your mind off the drive and do little to maximize efficiency.

The only time I like 'eco' mode is when modulating HVAC functions - when on the highway, I am ok with minor temp swings if it turns off the a/c compressor.  Same thing in the winter mornings - I don't need the engine to be powering to get some heat 5 minutes into the drive if normal driving will get me heat within 7 mins.

I'd rather the system be less complex for the driver and not clutter my interior with buttons I'd never use.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 02:35:46 am »
Yikes, $35,000 for this? A US made and designed Jetta with a less than great interior? This is more than a new TLX.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.