Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 1: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel  (Read 32377 times)

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Re: Long-Term Test Update 1: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 06:37:59 pm »
I get it completely; the TDi is a niche model here so VW tacks on a nice fat premium to make the bottom line very nice.

Anyway,you would have to do a heck of a lot of driving to make up the cost of the TDi engine and I would live in quaking fear that something would go wrong out of warranty. As soon as the base warranty expired I would be either selling the car or buying the best factory extended warranty available.

I like this car a lot but were it mine, I would go for a gas/5 speed. The cost of the automatic at $1400 is absurd.
[/quote]

I won't put enough kms on my car to ever offset the cost of the diesel, so I bought the gas version and, according to Consumer Report, the gas engine with the auto tranny is more reliable than the diesel with the DSG.  Yes, the optional auto costs more than in some vehicles, but it is a good one that performs well.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 07:49:26 pm »
Diesel is about 10% cheaper than regular gas in Calgary last time I checked so that helps offset some cost along with getting probably 25-40% better fuel mileage depends on type of driving. 

Also diesel VWs have better resale down the road.  In the end for me it would be down to the much different driving experience and the TQ that would sway me to buy the diesel over the 2.5.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 07:59:12 pm »
This would be a nice family dingy next too our Odyssey, but rational me can't get around the fact that I just paid 31,943$+tax OTD for the new 2012 Ody EX... With the current 2500$ discounts on the 5-bangers, the TDI makes little financial sense, but that Sportline trim looks pretty good!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 08:53:41 pm »
Attractive on the surface.  In the end, I didn't think the value was there when compared to something like a Cruze Eco (yes I know that isn't a wagon...yet).

TDIs Expensive to buy, crazy expensive repairs when you visit the forums, didn't find it any more fun to drive than pretty much anything else, expensive fuel.

Honkin cargo area though....and great range.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 09:06:38 pm »
Attractive on the surface.  In the end, I didn't think the value was there when compared to something like a Cruze Eco (yes I know that isn't a wagon...yet).

TDIs Expensive to buy, crazy expensive repairs when you visit the forums, didn't find it any more fun to drive than pretty much anything else, expensive fuel.

I agree the TDi is expensive, but when compared to similar equipped (like leather) compact crossovers it is not. 
I find the TDI more fun to drive than anything in the class minus a few crazy turbos (GTI, MAzdaspeed3, etc).

Offline CountOfGamble

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 11:49:32 pm »
It's been exactly two years since I bought mine and I've had 40 thousand trouble free kms. Knock on wood. Don't want to jinx it. The car itself may be expensive, but the fuel consumption on the TDI compared to the 2.5 is at least 30-40% lower. I used to own a Mark 5 2.5 5MT. The engines are worlds apart as the TDI is two leagues ahead. Torque is addictive. The interior of a highline model is definitely best in class.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 08:23:49 am »
I've put over 55,000 km on my  2011 TDI 3 pedal wagon without a hiccup. Once you get used to short shifting at around 3000 rpms, the diesel's torque and 900 kms between fill-ups are addictive. Hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 08:29:26 am »

Expensive fuel?  In Canada, diesel has been 7-12 cents cheaper for over 6 months.  And TDI models have less repairs than the 2.0L turbo.  Not fun to drive?  It's not a sports sedan, but it would be more fun to drive than any CUV out there, lower centre of gravity, steering doesn't feel artificial. And I do agree that a Cruze wagon would have more value, but VW are more premium than Chevrolets, Honda, Toyota.  The materials used, along with fit and finish, put in more in line with Acura and Buick, except less standard features.  I do hope that we get a Cruze wagon someday, GM was pretty dumb when they only offered the sedan, not even a hatch like the Elantra, Focus, Forte, Matrix.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 08:38:44 am »
I only wish VW offered AWD with the TDI wagon.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 09:29:28 am »

Expensive fuel?  In Canada, diesel has been 7-12 cents cheaper for over 6 months.  And TDI models have less repairs than the 2.0L turbo.  Not fun to drive?  It's not a sports sedan, but it would be more fun to drive than any CUV out there, lower centre of gravity, steering doesn't feel artificial. And I do agree that a Cruze wagon would have more value, but VW are more premium than Chevrolets, Honda, Toyota.  The materials used, along with fit and finish, put in more in line with Acura and Buick, except less standard features.  I do hope that we get a Cruze wagon someday, GM was pretty dumb when they only offered the sedan, not even a hatch like the Elantra, Focus, Forte, Matrix.

Diesel fuel is not always cheaper. It depends on the season,wait until the heating season starts. Right about now. ;D

2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 10:42:01 am »
my parents bought a 2009 VW Jetta TDi wagon (one of the last few left before the 2010 Golf Wagons came out)...i think there was one minor recall on something (a sensor?), but other than that, not one problem...they love it.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »
I don't understand the attraction to diesel powered mainstream vehicles in North America. They cost more to buy and maintain. In Europe the only advantage is diesel fuel is not taxed as high as refined fuel. Where is the trade-off study  ??? educate me.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 06:40:35 pm »
torque...low fuel consumption.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 07:30:11 pm »

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 09:10:42 pm »
I don't understand the attraction to diesel powered mainstream vehicles in North America. They cost more to buy and maintain. In Europe the only advantage is diesel fuel is not taxed as high as refined fuel. Where is the trade-off study  ??? educate me.
Frosty,I noticed you have an Audi TT and a Honda S2000, I'm surprised you would choose a Venza  rather than a drivers car like a Golf TDI with A 6MT

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 09:13:46 pm »
Frosty,I noticed you have an Audi TT and a Honda S2000, I'm surprised you would choose a Venza  rather than a drivers car like a Golf TDI with A 6MT

Reliability, ergonomics, and cargo space.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 09:25:06 pm »
There used to be a big gap between diesel and gasoline as far as fuel consumption. There's not much in it now. The TDi Golf and Cruze Eco both hit 0-60 in roughly 8.3 seconds and get similar fuel economy, for example.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/fun-at-40-mpg-feature

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 11:26:56 pm »
My mothers 2001 Jetta TDI (which many considered as the low point years in VW quality) has been a very reliable car for her. It has only had routine maintenance such as fluids, filters, brakes, a set of glow plugs, timing belt replacement etc. It averages just under 40 MPG in mostly all city driving and at least mid 40s on the highway depending on your speed. The newer diesels are rated lower due to the emission control standards, namely the DPF and regen cycle so we are in a plateau for their overall efficiency. In a few years I think we will see diesel hybrids and engine management improvements to increase mileage. Mercedes is already selling one in Europe I believe. I find that it is very easy to meet or exceed the posted fuel consumption ratings with a diesel. A gasoline car, not so much. At least that is what I have discovered in the gasoline vs diesel debate.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:33:06 pm by marcus_go »

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2012, 05:28:09 am »
I find that it is very easy to meet or exceed the posted fuel consumption ratings with a diesel. A gasoline car, not so much. At least that is what I have discovered in the gasoline vs diesel debate.

This is especially true with downsized gasoline cars. They tend to fall far behind their official ratings, as has been discovered in independent tests.

Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2012, 10:14:45 am »
torque...low fuel consumption.

So?
that is the attraction to diesel...you can drive with a light foot and zoot around effortlessly (without revving the :censor: out of the vehicle to get any "thrust")...they sip gas.

as Sir O has shown, many other gas cars are now bridging that gap, using DI and Turbo technology as well (same as the diesel) vehicles.