Author Topic: Long-Term Test Arrival: 2016 Hyundai Tucson  (Read 17188 times)

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Long-Term Test Arrival: 2016 Hyundai Tucson
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 07:55:55 pm »
Can you get a car (other than a subcompact and MX-5) with 16" rims?
probably not, which is a shame...i remember when 15" wheels were a big deal...and only the expensive stuff had alloys...the plebes got the steelies with wheel covers.
The Tiguan comes with 16"......P215/65R16 on the lower trim models. Sensible car.

We are talking about vehicles designed this decade...
Oh......hmm now that I think of it, I guess 17" is the new standard. The new VW Tiguan, Renault Kadjar, Merc GLA, and BMW X1 all have 17" as standard. Probably with the ever larger/heavier vehicles, larger brakes are ideal for optimum performance and thus, nudging up wheel sizes as well.

Only exception I find today is the Citroën C4 Cactus with 16" but that's a light, entry-level vehicle.

It's a styling feature, nothing to do with the weight and except for ultra high performance cars nothing to do with the brakes either.

My Expediton weighs nearly 3 tons and it only has 17" rims.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 06:44:54 am »
Fail to see why some Hyundai in top, top trim should cost the same as the Mazda CX-5 GT with Tech package. Pretty easy choice if $40K is the new standard price for fully-optioned compact SUVs. Hit or miss suspension/steering, never been in an H/K that was fully sorted, plus not very powerful engines - where's the supposed value? They're charging the same as the main brand names, but aren't quite there overall.

And the CX-5 has probably a better AWD system then Hyundai/Magna's one which I just had the opportunity to experience (on a Sorento) and it is pretty sucky. Will post some details eventually on a Sorento thread.

It seems that $40k with all the toys is becoming the norm...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:51 am »
This one will be lost in the shuffle of Overpriced,Overloaded.Overhyped me too CUV ZZZZZZZZzzzzz's
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 08:32:41 am »
Fail to see why some Hyundai in top, top trim should cost the same as the Mazda CX-5 GT with Tech package. Pretty easy choice if $40K is the new standard price for fully-optioned compact SUVs. Hit or miss suspension/steering, never been in an H/K that was fully sorted, plus not very powerful engines - where's the supposed value? They're charging the same as the main brand names, but aren't quite there overall.

And the CX-5 has probably a better AWD system then Hyundai/Magna's one which I just had the opportunity to experience (on a Sorento) and it is pretty sucky. Will post some details eventually on a Sorento thread.

??

the Magna AWD system is actually quite good (we have it on ours obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahr-6CTZ7wg&list=FLFZoU3TKVBLzCjj1FjV97QQ&index=4
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 09:34:09 am »
it will be interesting to see how this compares to its corporate cousin the 2017 Kia Sportage, as they both use the same platform (same wheelbase and length), however they will not be using the same engines as the Sportage will come with the 2.4L GDI for the LX & EX models and the 2.0L turbo for the SX model.  The LX will have 17" alloys, the EX 18" and the SX 19".

They certainly don't look the same and dramatically different on the inside.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 09:43:04 am »
^ your right the difference is night and day!

EDIT:  The differences are most evident with the front end. 

The Hyundai will outsell the Sportage easily. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:53:43 am by Solstice2006 »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 11:00:36 am »
Golf still comes with 15 inch wheels.

I'm flabbergasted!

ugggg my eyes:

now this is a proper rim for the Golf:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 11:07:28 am »
^Why? More weight. More inertia. Slower acceleration. More expensive. For fashion? No thanks.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:15:49 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 11:12:38 am »
15" on the Golf look fine. I'm pleased that VW offers alloys as standard in North America actually; extra charge on the Trendline in Germany. The Golf uses a more compact brake caliper design so there's flexibility to downsize the wheels instead of going with 16" or above.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 11:42:12 am »

the Hyundai will likely outsell it as more people associate the Hyundai with better quality than Kia (just customer perception)...personally, i think the Kia looks better, but the Tuscon looks good too...if i were in the market for a small ute now, the new Sportage would likely be high on my list (but i'd need to drive it)...that 2.0T is sweet in the larger Sorento, i think it would be quite nice in the lighter Sportage.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 12:16:56 pm »

the Hyundai will likely outsell it as more people associate the Hyundai with better quality than Kia (just customer perception)...personally, i think the Kia looks better, but the Tuscon looks good too...if i were in the market for a small ute now, the new Sportage would likely be high on my list (but i'd need to drive it)...that 2.0T is sweet in the larger Sorento, i think it would be quite nice in the lighter Sportage.

Had no idea, peoples perceptions thought Hyundai has better quality than Kia...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 12:30:09 pm »

just back 7~8 years ago, Hyundai interiors were orders of magnitude better finished than Kias.  less plastic "Flashing" marks on parts, better fitted panels, etc.

now it's about the same, but harder to change perception.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 03:52:28 pm »
Most KIA dealerships that I have seen are in second rate buildings , and Hyundai are much nicer buildings
That would also bearing in amount of cars sold

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 04:38:20 pm »
Hyundai, being the larger company, has spent more money marketing their products and making people more aware of their brand, hence the larger sales...i see TONS of ads on TV for Hyundai...rarely see one for Kia...Hyundai also had the Genesis and Equus vehicles, so some may associate more of the "premium" to that nameplate as well.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 04:40:37 pm »
Most KIA dealerships that I have seen are in second rate buildings , and Hyundai are much nicer buildings
That would also bearing in amount of cars sold
yea, that depends on the location...keep in mind, 5-10 years ago, these were used car alternatives, so the dealership owner may have been reluctant to spend a lot of money on low volume cheap cars...of course, that is changing.

the dealership we bought ours from is bright, modern and new:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.0108246,-81.1534077,3a,75y,324.62h,73.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suQTOaD0X58e3JXVQbXUfSw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 10:13:45 pm »

??

the Magna AWD system is actually quite good (we have it on ours obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahr-6CTZ7wg&list=FLFZoU3TKVBLzCjj1FjV97QQ&index=4
ok, so we've been having plenty of snow here today, so the subdivision roads have a few inches of snow on them...i decided to venture outside and go pick up a pizza, for two reasons...one, i love pizza...two, i wanted to see how the Sorento handles in the snow (now that we finally have enough to call "snow")...we have Michelin X-Ice 3 tires on it and with a few inches of snow covering the asphalt, i turned off the traction control to allow some wheel spin in the fluffy stuff...the first few blocks were very uneventful (as in, the system was working very well to make driving in the crappy road conditions a non-issue)...even if i gave it a fair amount of throttle, the stability control system would ensure your "line" was kept in check, all the while the system was applying power to the varying wheels to maximize acceleration.

on the way home, i wanted to see what the 4 wheel lock feature was like...while stopped at an intersection (no other cars around), i activated it, then "gave 'er"...you could really feel all 4 wheels bite in and it took off with a level of alacrity i wasn't expecting...minimal wheel spin (i couldn't really feel it, but i'm sure there was some), and very brisk acceleration...seemed unnatural considering the road conditions.

i can personally attest to the fact the AWD is not "pretty sucky".

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 03:44:23 pm »
I will explain a little later on why I made that statement. I agree the Sorento is doing well in the circumstance you are describing but any AWD cars would be just as good. The way you tested the "4 wheel lock"  (because this way to describe the system is very misleading and inaccurate, -not your fault but Hyundai/Kia Marketing's) is not indicative of its short comings.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 04:36:13 pm »
I will explain a little later on why I made that statement. I agree the Sorento is doing well in the circumstance you are describing but any AWD cars would be just as good. The way you tested the "4 wheel lock"  (because this way to describe the system is very misleading and inaccurate, -not your fault but Hyundai/Kia Marketing's) is not indicative of its short comings.
sooo, they're lying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpQeXnMRO-8

http://articles.sae.org/8707/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 04:40:10 pm by dirtyjeffer »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 11:10:20 am »
nah, couldn't be, an automotive manufacturer lie?  It just can't be! :-)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 11:52:45 am »
sooo, they're lying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpQeXnMRO-8

http://articles.sae.org/8707/

First please don't take it as a personal attack on your decision to buy a Sorento. It is a fine vehicle.

I said "misleading and inaccurate" but you could reach to that conclusion if you wish. I gave the benefit of the doubt to the Product Marketing folks because: 1. they need to spin their products and 2. the vast majority of them are non-technical people that does not fully understand the technical details of their products.

I am familiar with the Magna system as I was very interested in it when it came out and did my share of research on it. But it you take the time to search youtube you will find example of the Hyundai/Kia's "shortcomings". Still I was hoping to find out my concerns were unfounded and my expectations may have been higher because of the Magna system promise.

Now back to your challenge. The two examples you provided are actually supporting my point.

First the word "lock": the only way you can get a locking system is with a positive locking mechanism which requires gears and will never be fully achieved with a clutch pack (like Magna's system) or viscous couplings. Second there are only a handful of vehicles with a 4-wheel lock system: the Jeep Wrangler and not any Wrangler, just the Rubicon. Other examples are the Ram Power Wagon and Mercedes G-Wagen.

To get 4-wheel lock you need 3 locking axles: center, front and rear.

Magna tries to emulate only a center locking axle with limited success. The problem is that it overheats extremely quickly; it happened to me after trying to rock the Sorento forward-backward 2-3 times trying to get out of my parking spot. Another surprising fact was that some torque steer is noticeable accelerating from a stop in the snow even with the center "locker" on.

The main issue is with the AWD system not very capable of controlling wheel spin once it splits the torque between the front and rear axle. The instant one wheel start spinning you lose completely the contribution of that axle.