Author Topic: Last-minute Prius styling rebuff shows Toyota's new focus on design  (Read 11265 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Last-minute Prius styling rebuff shows Toyota's new focus on design
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 07:40:19 pm »
What the problem with the split rear window ?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:08 am »
Awesome!  But most every control in the car is center stack.  Radio, GPS, HVAC, ashtray, cup holders etc..

The speedo is about the only thing that's not.
Radio is controlled using steering wheel-mounted controls.  GPS should not be controlled while in motion, and gives audible notifications, HVAC (at least in the Corolla) is easily manipulated without looking at it since it's 3 round dials.  Ashtray?  No comment.  None.  I won't touch that with a 10ft pole.  As for cupholders, did you have difficulty with this game as a child?

I disagree, also, about the speedo being easier to read in the middle.  A quick glance down and you can see your speed.  You should be watching the road more than your speedometer any way, and I'd rather glance down quickly than glance down and to the right.

Even the press release states:
"To maximize aerodynamics, the next Prius will keep the current generation's split-level rear window, despite visibility issues."

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 04:50:06 pm »
Only Fack , NoTo , you are such a baby

I have caps on all my trucks, never had a problem backing , I do not even have a rear view mirror in the cab, only use the side mirror, so the view out of the Prius is 1000% better
Beside this is my #1 rule , you should use it also

http://youtu.be/AjGXn249Fc0

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 05:13:34 pm »
.  As for cupholders, did you have difficulty with this game as a child?

No..but I'm guessing you may have.  I mean..if you're so distracted by a center dash who knows what problems basic games may have given you during childhood... :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 05:23:04 pm »
`
Centre dashboard?  Awful.
Split rear window?  Awful.
Weird shifter?  Awful.
okay...all of this coming from a Subaru lover?
I'm really confused...what Subaru has a central gauge cluster, a shifter with a park "button", or a split rear window?

Where does Subaru even come up in this?

the Prius the central cluster is amazing in terms of usability and visibility...much better than a lot of the quirky designs Subaru puts out.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:25:25 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 12:04:47 pm »
As for cupholders, did you have difficulty with this game as a child?
I mean..if you're so distracted by a center dash
I never said I was distracted by it, I said that it's ugly and I dislike it.  I stated that I would think it would be 'more' distracting than the traditional placement.  I never said it distracted me.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 12:13:48 pm »
`
Centre dashboard?  Awful.
Split rear window?  Awful.
Weird shifter?  Awful.
okay...all of this coming from a Subaru lover?
I'm really confused...what Subaru has a central gauge cluster, a shifter with a park "button", or a split rear window?

Where does Subaru even come up in this?

the Prius the central cluster is amazing in terms of usability and visibility...much better than a lot of the quirky designs Subaru puts out.

No, it's just different for the sake of being different. I dislike it as much as the ridiculous dash mounted iPads the Germans are enamoured with.

And Subaru hasn't done quirky in years. Their interiors are very conventional and conservatively styled.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 12:56:59 pm »

I completely understand the reasoning behind the split rear window. Without it rear visibility would be worse than it already is because of the horizontal slope of the Prius' hatch opening. A bigger issue IMHO is the trend to ever-rising belt lines and tiny gun-slit windows, but you never anyone complaining about that.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 05:45:20 pm »

I completely understand the reasoning behind the split rear window. Without it rear visibility would be worse than it already is because of the horizontal slope of the Prius' hatch opening. A bigger issue IMHO is the trend to ever-rising belt lines and tiny gun-slit windows, but you never anyone complaining about that.
The complaint is that the Prius is so concerned about getting the coefficient of drag down to nothingness that it compromises outward visibility in so doing.

...and there isn't much reason to do so:
The Mercedes S-Class and C-Class = 0.24
Tesla Model S = 0.24
Mazda3 sedan = 0.26

Toyota Prius = 0.25

Go figure.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 06:26:48 pm »

The complaint is that the Prius is so concerned about getting the coefficient of drag down to nothingness that it compromises outward visibility in so doing.

...and there isn't much reason to do so:
The Mercedes S-Class and C-Class = 0.24
Tesla Model S = 0.24
Mazda3 sedan = 0.26

Toyota Prius = 0.25

Go figure.
The 3 Gen of the Prius came out in 2009 , so the design must be at least 7-8 years old. It will be interesting to see number once the new one comes out

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 01:02:47 pm »
The 3 Gen of the Prius came out in 2009 , so the design must be at least 7-8 years old. It will be interesting to see number once the new one comes out
Yes, but the point is that the wedge shape need not be adopted so literally to get a low .cd

There need not be such a compromise, and to wit, even the Prius C and V are both proper hatch/wagons without the need for the split window.  If even Toyota recognizes that the split window is a compromise in visibility and can make other models, which are useful without it, then why continue its use?

The Prius was an icon.  Its purpose was duly recognized.  At this point, the name has goodwill and Toyota need not continue to be "quirky" or "unique" in order to generate sales or interest in the Prius.

Most potential buyers (outside of California  ::)) want a no-compromise hybrid.  That's why the Camry hybrid sells well.  At this point, things that are not desirable should not be incorporated.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 02:24:22 pm »
Yes, but the point is that the wedge shape need not be adopted so literally to get a low .cd

There need not be such a compromise, and to wit, even the Prius C and V are both proper hatch/wagons without the need for the split window.  If even Toyota recognizes that the split window is a compromise in visibility and can make other models, which are useful without it, then why continue its use?

The Prius was an icon.  Its purpose was duly recognized.  At this point, the name has goodwill and Toyota need not continue to be "quirky" or "unique" in order to generate sales or interest in the Prius.

Most potential buyers (outside of California  ::)) want a no-compromise hybrid.  That's why the Camry hybrid sells well.  At this point, things that are not desirable should not be incorporated.
So you want all cars to look the same  ???
I like the looks of the Prius , that is why we got one
Maybe you missed your calling and should gone to design school
Here a couple of place to try  ;D http://www.cardesignnews.com/site/careers/design_schools/

Northernridge

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 08:09:17 pm »
I'd bet the new Prius will have the same basic config and silhouette as it always has. And it should. It's shape iconic and still defines the hybrid category. Not dissimilar to the Coke bottle...which Coke has trademarked.

Besides, The shape makes for a remarkably roomy interior for a relatively small car. It's actually a comfortable car to ride in the back of (re: taxi).

Again, I predict it will fit the template.

And it's Toyota we're talking about for goodness sakes.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 01:09:40 am »
The original Prius was a sedan though....

But I'd agree that the shape is iconic ... And the insight tried to copy it the second time around

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 08:23:29 pm »
Last minute rebuff will not buff right out  :rofl2:  Fuk u ichi.

Sorry to bring back a zombie thread, but in light of what we've got the first post of this thread is just too amusing.

The Plug-in unofficial specs and the looks are here:
http://insideevs.com/new-toyota-prius-plug-in-info-imagery-leak-out-30-miles-range-in-japan/
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 09:30:45 pm »
I think this will look good...if anything Toyota certainly hit the mark with the new Corolla and Camry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

can't believe I said this!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: