Author Topic: Chevrolet BOLT  (Read 132831 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Chevrolet BOLT
« Reply #240 on: September 15, 2016, 11:26:59 am »
I would like to see a picture with the Bolt parked beside a Prius V or a Golf , to get a feel for the size of the car

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #241 on: September 15, 2016, 11:45:26 am »
 ??? ::)  Brigette :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #242 on: September 15, 2016, 09:58:12 pm »
I would like to see a picture with the Bolt parked beside a Prius V or a Golf , to get a feel for the size of the car

It's probably smaller than everyone thinks...

It's about the size of a Honda Fit.

http://evobsession.com/chevy-bolt-dimension-comparison-popular-models/

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #243 on: September 16, 2016, 06:35:49 am »

It's probably smaller than everyone thinks...

It's about the size of a Honda Fit.

http://evobsession.com/chevy-bolt-dimension-comparison-popular-models/
Thanks

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 20, 2016, 05:48:36 pm »
already posted here http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=97195.0 but just in case...

The canadian & us prices of the incoming Chevy Bolt have been published today

Canada: $42,795 + 1,600 freight = $44,395 CDN Fast Charge port included
http://media.gm.ca/media/ca/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/ca/en/2016/Sep/0920_Bolt-Pricing.html

USA $37,495 + 875 freight = $38,370 U$D + $750 Fast Charge port extra
http://media.gm.ca/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/sep/0920-bolt-pricing.html

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-ev-priced-from-37495-under-30k-with-incentives/
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2016, 09:16:54 pm »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Chevrolet BOLT - Production LT trim first look
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2016, 02:17:44 pm »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G43ewBSurcE

http://insideevs.com/production-chevrolet-bolt-display-2016-texas-state-fair-video/

I can't say I'm impressed with all the white plastic and fabric inside the cabin. Otherwise looks fine, if a bit narrow. Will "fine" sell though? It probably will with help of rebates and up until Model 3 arrives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2016, 07:02:05 pm »
still blowing my mind gm beat everybody to creating a 200 mile ev at this price point...
That's because most companies prefer not to lose money on every car sold.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2016, 08:15:08 pm »
still blowing my mind gm beat everybody to creating a 200 mile ev at this price point...

To put things in perspective, a Nissan Versa sells under 20k USD. The Bolt will sell for 37k+. The battery cost based on GM reported $140/kWh is $8400. Maybe some electronics is still made in limited quantities and thus is a little more expensive compared to that of a mainstream ICE car. But still, given they will also make some money back on green credits, I don't see any math that would indicate the Bolt is in the red.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2016, 08:54:02 pm »

To put things in perspective, a Nissan Versa sells under 20k USD. The Bolt will sell for 37k+. The battery cost based on GM reported $140/kWh is $8400. Maybe some electronics is still made in limited quantities and thus is a little more expensive compared to that of a mainstream ICE car. But still, given they will also make some money back on green credits, I don't see any math that would indicate the Bolt is in the red.
You forget the development cost going back to the Volt, which still isn't paid for..even though GM alleges the 2nd Gen Volt will make money. It certainly helps that the Bolt piggy backed onto this development cost.

Even Bob Lutz, who has better inside knowledge than you or I said he'd be shocked if the Bolt ever made money.

I think GM is going to lose money on every Bolt sold. But what they are trying to do is establish an EV brand so that future iterations will be profitable....And they will have established a consumer base to sell them to.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2016, 08:04:02 am »
The BOLT is Usain.... it goes great for 100 Meters then U have to pay him more appearance money
 have they (GM) hired him yet.

Great business model kinda like Tesla Lose money make it up in the FUTURE :'( :'( :banghead:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2016, 10:45:20 am »

You forget the development cost going back to the Volt, which still isn't paid for..even though GM alleges the 2nd Gen Volt will make money. It certainly helps that the Bolt piggy backed onto this development cost.

Even Bob Lutz, who has better inside knowledge than you or I said he'd be shocked if the Bolt ever made money.

I think GM is going to lose money on every Bolt sold. But what they are trying to do is establish an EV brand so that future iterations will be profitable....And they will have established a consumer base to sell them to.

well every company will have to go through this new tech development and associated ramp up costs. this isn't exclusive to electric cars. as you pointed out, the question is how quickly will they achieve profitability?  if we see a huge adoption rate what does this mean for the oil industry and in particular the middle east?  what does it mean for south america, where most lithium comes from?

Agree. Auto everything will need to be some flavour of a hybrid very soon, unless Trump makes it. So it's not like GM has a choice not to spend on EV R&D. So far they've been doing it right, by spreading the cost among multiple models: Volt 1 and 2, Spark EV, Caddy EL-R (not the best example but still counts) and the current Malibu Hybrid, which uses Voltec powertrain with a smaller than Volt's battery.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2016, 06:43:47 pm »

well every company will have to go through this new tech development and associated ramp up costs. this isn't exclusive to electric cars.

But it is a little bit more exclusive to EVs because the tech is new (and often untried solutions to engineering problems), expensive, etc.

It's one thing to make a new pickup.  It's another to make the first affordable EV.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 29, 2016, 09:08:45 pm »

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2016, 11:06:24 am »
Oct 25, video report from Green Car Report

https://youtu.be/Nw_mwOGQHUU

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Chevrolet BOLT- Motor Trend COTY
« Reply #255 on: November 15, 2016, 09:19:45 am »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 03, 2016, 04:25:21 pm »
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/5-features-for-making-a-fun-ev/

"User-Activated Regenerative Braking
Another concern of enthusiasts is a lack of driver involvement. That's certainly the case regarding the transmissions in most electric cars, since there's usually only one gear to not choose from. However, electric powertrains offer other ways for the driver to take control.

Aboard the Chevrolet Bolt EV is one of the most entertaining regenerative braking paddle systems we've ever used. Pulling the paddle behind the left steering wheel spoke will engage the maximum amount of regen for as long as you hold it. This allows the driver to regain charge and slow down without using the brakes, which on the Bolt are completely mechanical and not blended. You can even bring the car to a complete stop this way, enabling one-pedal driving with a fun twist.

We speak from experience that this timing things just right so that you stop without ever touching the brake pedal is really fun. We also see the potential for this in performance driving – imagine how late you could brake for corners if you could rely on both mechanical brakes and a manually operated regenerative brake system, both separate and manually-controlled. It's a novel and entertaining way to build in some driver involvement, which is at the core of what enthusiasts crave."

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #258 on: December 10, 2016, 11:19:41 am »
"It's a novel and entertaining way to build in some driver involvement, which is at the core of what enthusiasts crave."

Enthusiastic driving in a Bolt.....who would have thought?  ;D

I wonder if using the User-Activated Regenerative Braking paddle also activates the brake lights.  If not, I can foresee a lot of Bolts getting rear-ended. 

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 10, 2016, 11:39:36 am »
I wonder if using the User-Activated Regenerative Braking paddle also activates the brake lights.  If not, I can foresee a lot of Bolts getting rear-ended.

The Ampera-e (Bolt sibling) surely follow the same UN directive

My former Spark EV did (was supposed to be available in Europe before...) , the Vol Gen II does too, Volt Gen I did not. So , I strongly believe the Bolt, same as the I3, Tesla and others with strong deceleration capability will.

Brake light I3 sample https://youtu.be/JXJPf7Lv8Sw
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:58:30 am by me_2 »