Author Topic: Preview: 2013 Ford Mustang  (Read 9577 times)

richink

Re: Preview: 2013 Ford Mustang
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 03:11:44 pm »
I'm still disaffected towards Mustangs.

The two rental sleds I had this year proved what I've always thought about them yet again. Marginal quality, terrible fit and finish and the same old brick hammer jittery handling they always had. I won't take away the slightest from that powertrain. The noise and thrust from those V8 motors is something to behold, but I'll trade that overblown horsepower number for the overall refinement and finesse of an M3 or an S5 any day of the week.

The finesse of the M3 to which you refer does not result in it being a Mustang slayer.  M3 may be your personal preference (no problem with that) but objective metrics don't support your argument.

Ummmm... not sure on that and if it does by how much?

E90 M3's by several sources will hit 60 mph in under 4 seconds and pull .98 on the skipad.

Current GT 'Stangs do the 60 in about 4.5 with .91 on the skidpad, these improved ponies should put those numbers a little past the M3, but by how much?

You still can't get away from the fit and finish issues, but then a Mustang should prove to be cheaper on maintenance.

I've driven my colleagues 2009 M3 on several occasions, it is a far more comfortable cruiser and felt no slower, confirmed by the numbers.

I still can't deny the joy of the noise that the Mustang's engine makes...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 03:14:14 pm »
rich, take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 03:20:59 pm »
The Boss is sweet, but the article needs more specifics.  "Race inspired clutch" ... details please  ???  Does the Boss have the Tremec 6060 or the Chinese Getrag?

they put flames on the side of the car  :run:

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 03:31:22 pm »

I wonder how the Boss would stack up against the M3 on the same track?  I've always been a big fan of the M3, but I wouldn't pay the vast price difference to have the roundel on my hood over the Mustang.  Some would though, and I completely understand. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

TheKnownSpace

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 06:37:26 pm »
V6 and GT models for the normal people...

then the BOSS model for all the dbags who take their "track-oriented" car to the track precisely once or twice a year, but will be more than happy to brag about it being better than an M3/corvette/C63/mitsubishi evo etc. around a track when you see them in the street

then the GT500 if you have a really bad mid-life crisis, or if your a Ford fan with money that wants the ability to say haha f*ck you to the guy down the street that ordered a camaro ZL1

Seriously though, i like all of the improvements at all of the trim levels, i think exterior updates could have gone further somewhat because well, without reading the press kit, it's pretty hard to spot all the differences (not really liking the new tailights, but respect to Ford for doing something different). The GT500 has become the manifestation of stupid auto industry one-up-manship and being over the top, but hey, it now has the ability to rip the doors off of some established supercars so who is complaining? Lastly, i've always seen the mustang as a raw performance kind of vehicle, not unbearable, but sacrifices some sophistication for driving pleasure and fun power delivery; with all that said, i don't really like how Ford's attempt to stuff as much infotainment tech in all of their cars as possible has finally reached (and is slowly starting)  in the mustang. As a matter of fact i can definately live without a 4.2 "productivity screen" (  :rofl2: still laughing at that name) in my instrument cluster, and i definately do not give a flying f*ck about "track apps".

It must be a sign of the times when a new mustang gets realeased, and i find myself most excited about the V6 and smaller-displacement (relatively) V8 as opposed to high-performance variants

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 10:29:16 pm »
It must be a sign of the times when a new mustang gets realeased, and i find myself most excited about the V6 and smaller-displacement (relatively) V8 as opposed to high-performance variants

Either that or you're just getting old.  :D
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 10:48:33 pm »
The Boss is sweet, but the article needs more specifics.  "Race inspired clutch" ... details please  ???  Does the Boss have the Tremec 6060 or the Chinese Getrag?

they put flames on the side of the car  :run:

:rofl2:

But seriously, when I saw "Race inspired clutch" I immediately thought "Leather inspired seats" (Vinyl)
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »

Now I'm REALLY depressed. Not only can't I afford either car, but some guy gets paid to drive the crap out of two great cars all day. Life sucks  :'(

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 11:33:09 pm »
Now I'm REALLY depressed. Not only can't I afford either car, but some guy gets paid to drive the crap out of two great cars all day. Life sucks  :'(
those damn 1%ers.  :P ;)

Offline SapphireSeo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
    • Standard Transmission
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 08:02:07 am »
650hp in a car that will drive on the street with the rest of us, and do 320km/h? I can honest say that sounds like a bad idea. It's a good thing I'll never actually see a car that rare, and that most owners will only use all that power on a drag strip or maybe a track, but I can imagine the rich owner having a bad day at work and doing 150 over the limit.

Just reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dI5ewOmHPQ

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 11:50:34 am »
I don't understand why so many of you are drooling over this mustang!
 Costs about $60k, 600+ hp, 300 kph, you can't drive it in bad weather, and it gets terrible gas mileage.
 I'm in sales and enjoy driving around 40k all year round on mainly 2 lane highways north of the 401. Safe but fun cruising is usually about 20k over the posted speed limit. A car like this makes no sense, besides the track, where do you run it ???

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 11:53:56 am »
it seems that Ace is dead below the waist if he doesnt understand why a 600+ horsepower car is attrractive to us car guys. As for me, Id love a boss, in graphite and a few sets of Nitto 555R so I can see what she will do at the local autocross track.
Lighten up Francis.....

Steve32

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 03:53:03 pm »

(not really liking the new tailights, but respect to Ford for doing something different).

with all that said, i don't really like how Ford's attempt to stuff as much infotainment tech in all of their cars as possible has finally reached (and is slowly starting)  in the mustang.

Have to agree with both of these points. Do not like the new taillights (2011 redo, I think). They remind me too much of the older Mustangs which I can't stand, basically anything between the early 70's and 2005.

And enough already with all the voice activated crap and touchscreens and submenus for basic functions. If a song used to come on the radio with too much bass, it used to take 1 second to reach over and flick.... done. Now press the Sound button icon, then scroll to the .......  oops the songs over.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 03:58:31 pm »
Now press the Sound button icon, then scroll to the .......  oops the songs over.

:rofl:

OR, one day in year 4 the screen goes BLANK and you have no control over many necessary functions.  Off to the Ford dealer where you learn that replacement is $1200 tax in with one year warranty on parts only.

Then he tells you:  have a NICE DAY.   :P

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 09:36:04 am »
I don't understand why so many of you are drooling over this mustang!
 Costs about $60k, 600+ hp, 300 kph, you can't drive it in bad weather, and it gets terrible gas mileage.
 I'm in sales and enjoy driving around 40k all year round on mainly 2 lane highways north of the 401. Safe but fun cruising is usually about 20k over the posted speed limit. A car like this makes no sense, besides the track, where do you run it ???

If you have to ask then you do not and will never get it.  No shame in that, though.  This car is specifically targeted at those who would never ask such questions.  If you enjoy something more sedate you have plenty of good options.

No kidding.  Why are you all drooling over this Lamborghini!  It only seats two, can't caryy much luggage, and couldn't tow a tricycle!  And it gets horrible mileage! 

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Car Guy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design. Previous Vehicles: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 Subaru Legacy, 2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Ack!), 1991 Chevy Cavalier, 1983 Mustang GT
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 03:07:38 pm »
I can't see myself running out and trading my 2011 GT for a new GT.  I would love to get my hands on one of those 2013 GT500's though.  Wicked!!  But, I am going to wait until the total redesign before making any moves.  Hopefully Ford will have discovered how to put a real stereo into the Mustang by then.  My one complaint with my car is the Shaker stereo.  It really does suck!  But I am spoiled by the Harmon Kardon system in my other car.  It rocks!  I wish I could have that system in my Mustang.  That would be sweet!  Ford, please...please...please put a top quality stero in the next gen Mustang!  Don't cheap out on it!  At least have a really good stereo as a stand alone option.  I for one would be willing to pay for it.

Steve32

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »
Ford, please...please...please put a top quality stero in the next gen Mustang!  Don't cheap out on it!  At least have a really good stereo as a stand alone option.  I for one would be willing to pay for it.
With all these integrated voice commands and touch screens, is it even possible anymore to upgrade with an aftermarket system?

Offline Car Guy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design. Previous Vehicles: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 Subaru Legacy, 2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Ack!), 1991 Chevy Cavalier, 1983 Mustang GT
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 10:42:28 pm »
Ford, please...please...please put a top quality stero in the next gen Mustang!  Don't cheap out on it!  At least have a really good stereo as a stand alone option.  I for one would be willing to pay for it.
With all these integrated voice commands and touch screens, is it even possible anymore to upgrade with an aftermarket system?

I have done a bunch of research and you are correct.  With all the integration, it is VERY difficult to upgrade the stock system.  Difficult to the point where there is no point in doing it.  You might be able to upgrade some speakers, but even that is a pain.  It would be a lot easier if they just put in a good stereo from the start.