Author Topic: 2016 Fiat Doblò (Cargo XL)  (Read 4618 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
2016 Fiat Doblò (Cargo XL)
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:33:11 pm »
Last weekend, I had to get my bike to the track- specifically VIR which is 3,5h away. First time doing anything of this sort, but happily I was able to rent just the perfect tool for the job.....a cargo van !

Sold in North America as the Dodge Promaster City.....I still call it a Fiat. Because really that's what it is. Since its primary purpose is easy transport over long distances, or perhaps in urban areas but with many delivery errands, I decided to throw some of the common "car" expectations by the wayside for a bit.

The low load floor and wide opening rear doors (can open 180° with a simple latch) make it super-easy to load anything from say, motorcycles to um.....heavy boxes and other bulky items. A handy 12V outlet in the cargo area is also standard, and the sliding doors offer further ease of accès. There were no fewer than 8 tie-down points and the wide cargo area provides plenty of room.

So you've got your stuff in.......and now the drive. I spent a total of 1000km over 3 days on mostly highway, and found it surprisingly pleasant. The seats were comfortable, even without adjustable lumbar, the seat adjustment knob was where it SHOULD be (where the bottom and backrest meet) and allows one to fine-tune the backrest angle. Driving position is bang on, everything is fairly intuitive to operate. In fact, the controls were refreshingly familiar (read: European), and there are even nice features like a full-function Board computer and pathway lighting. Alas, no CD player and on base models, no cruise control (my foot was not happy on the A40). The amber backlighting made it easy on the eyes at night, and through tropical downpours, everything was in control. Even the basic sound system is quite nice.

The 2,4 litre Tigershark found in other FCA products makes quick work of acceleration, and its coarseness at high revs is acceptable in this work truck context. The 9-speed ZF automatic mostly does its job- shifts are S L O W and downshifts can illicit a disconcerting pause.....but eventually the van accelerates smartly and I had no trouble running 130-140km/h over derestricted secteurs of autoroute.

Noise levels are well within reason for a work van, and with its independent rear suspension, the ride is quite nice too. Preferring to keep my motorcycle upright  :shuffle:, no abrupt cornering was done, but suffice it to say that the hydraulic steering is true and well-weighted, if a bit vague.

Parking itself isn't hard- this will fit into most normal sized spaces. The lack of rear side windows does make one disconcertingly reliant on the mirrors- I recommend the backup camera option. The climatisation blew plenty cold, and there are plenty of cubbies to store things like mobile phones, safety vests, and sunglasses.

And the fuel consumption? No problem. Driving at normal speeds, I achieved ø = 8,5 l/100km on E10 fuel with mostly highway/autoroute driving although there was an annoying 40km queue on the way there.

So, if you're looking for a bit more cargo capacity than say, your family hatchback or wagon, then the solution is simple: rent a Ford Transit Connect. I'm sorry, but the powertrain in that thing just has to be better and smoother. But if you can't do that, then get a Fiat Doblò...errr Dodge Promaster City thing. You won't be disappointed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:35:51 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: 2016 Fiat Doblò (Cargo XL)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 01:54:53 pm »
fca makes us take a bunch of em... but then they don't promote them or anything. i have a bunch on my lot that just never get looked at. hell, i have two 2015's leftover that i demo'd in order to put em on my used lot.

good little van, but why not get a grand caravan cvp for less money and pop out the middle bench. then at least you have a 7 passenger van as well in the stable without having to have two cars on the books/insurance.

plus, they smell bad... shipped from italy, there is no new car smell... they smell like a pet store.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 02:01:57 pm »
fca makes us take a bunch of em... but then they don't promote them or anything. i have a bunch on my lot that just never get looked at. hell, i have two 2015's leftover that i demo'd in order to put em on my used lot.

good little van, but why not get a grand caravan cvp for less money and pop out the middle bench. then at least you have a 7 passenger van as well in the stable without having to have two cars on the books/insurance.

plus, they smell bad... shipped from italy, there is no new car smell... they smell like a pet store.

I don't think the Grand Caravan fits a motorcycle. The hatch opening isn't tall enough.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 02:23:39 pm »
that could be...

the "used" ones i have are 22800... 2015's with about 1500kms.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 04:28:20 pm »

It's made in Turkey, so it may ship from there.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 07:54:55 pm »
never even looked at the vin! just assumed italy...

my renegade smells similar... it's like they try to maximize shipping space, so they fill the vehicles with fish food.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 10:23:18 pm »
Good stuff mlin. Thanks for sharing. How was the track session?
Overview here: http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=96985.0

Wasn't so much just a track day, rather a day of instruction and coaching, then on-track drill practice sessions. Absolutely loved it, just what I needed as a newer rider to lay a good foundation, and I look forward to doing the next levels. Also made me appreciate my R3 a lot more. *pat pat*  :)

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 11:22:42 pm »
never even looked at the vin! just assumed italy...

my renegade smells similar... it's like they try to maximize shipping space, so they fill the vehicles with fish food.

The Renegade is made in Italy at the Melfi plant.  Bizarre that you'd smell fish.