Author Topic: Worry about cars stuck in port of Halifax?  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Michelb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A3
Worry about cars stuck in port of Halifax?
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:05:24 pm »
I signed for a new Audi A3 in mid-January after my VW Golf was totaled (long story, but I was safely stopped at a red light).  I'm still waiting for my car to arrive.

When I signed, the car was on the boat heading to Halifax.  Since then, Halifax has had a lot of ice and snow and now apparently my car is ice and snow bound.  It's been there for 2 months and as far as I can tell, there is still a lot of ice and snow on and around the car.

My question is, should I worry about damage to do car?  I assume the car is protected by the white plastic sheets they come with, but I'm concerned about damage to the wheels and the underside... am I needlessly worried or should I expect a lemon?

Of course, I'll look for visible damage to the paint, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

???

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Worry about cars stuck in port of Halifax?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:10:42 pm »
Tell them you want a new car , not one sitting in snow and ice
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:21:59 am by # »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:43:40 pm »
well... tough to do that..

BUT...

on the back of your bill of sale, there will be stipulations on how long the order can take. most people don't actually worry about it because 1) they usually show up on time and b)if they don't they are usually a car you are willing to wait for. but when it is something just out of their control, I believe the purchaser has a right to get out of the contract. not sure what you have been doing since then car wise, but I can't imagine you are in a position to wait a whole lot longer.... can they not find you something similar on a lot somewhere? at this point id settle on one without an option or a second choice of colour to at least have a car.... I assume you purchased it, not leased it?  if leased, take what they can give you and get a better deal on it for your troubles... if purchased... up to you to decide if you want to wait.

overall, snow itself doesn't cause all that much damage... the removal does. I can't imagine this is their first rodeo, so they should be good... when the car shows up at the dealer, they have to check it in. just make sure that the dealer knows you will be looking it over carefully... I would assume they already check over every car very closely, but knowing that the customer won't take it with flaws might make it that much more likely to not have any by the time you see it!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 05:03:15 am »
Audis fresh of the train in my local dealer seem to come totally wrapped in a Tyvek like coating nowadays, not just the protective panels on doors and hood like they used to.

I read an article yesterday saying that they are NOT going to attempt to dig the cars out but to wait until the snow melts...safer for the car but even longer delays while CN catches up as well.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Worry about cars stuck in port of Halifax?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 06:59:42 am »
If your car would be damaged by being snowed on, what were you planning to use it for in Canada?

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 07:30:07 am »
If your car would be damaged by being snowed on, what were you planning to use it for in Canada?

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

:rofl:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 07:42:57 am »
 :rofl2:

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 11:21:38 am »
Good luck finding it at Autoport. We just got another 20 cm's last night. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Michelb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A3
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies... summing up answers to the various comments.

1.  Of course, not too worried about the car being snowed on, but the removal of said snow and ice.  Thankfully, yes, they are pretty covered up in the protective wrap.

2.  It's a good point about delivery delays, might be able to get my deposit back, which is something I thought about doing.

3.  Bought, not leased.  Up until now, I've been able to get by without a second car as my wife got a nasty concussion in the accident that totally the Golf.  She has been unable to drive until a few weeks ago, and is not allowed to go back to work until mid-April... so we made due with 1 car for a couple of months.  Now that she's able to drive some and soon headed back to work, the need for a second car is starting to be pressing.  I did check with my dealer and I should be getting a courtesy car this week.  That's at least something.  I'm also starting to reconsider the color in the hopes that something else is already in stock.  I'll probably check with the dealer what they have in stock this week and see.  I can probably negotiate a discount on accessories or services in lieu of waiting for the car, especially if CN is saying they'll wait for the snow to melt! 

thanks all

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 07:08:17 pm »
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Just inspect the car for damage when it arrives.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 07:25:25 pm »
I'd be worried about rodents getting inside and making a mess.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson