Author Topic: Feature: Certified Used Vehicles  (Read 8424 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Certified Used Vehicles
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:05:40 am »

In these challenging economic times, certified used cars are proving an attractive alternative to new cars.

Read More...

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
Re: Feature: Certified Used Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:38:50 am »
Don't drink the Certified Pre-owned (CPO) Kool-Aid. It's a marketing gimmick to separate buyers from
more of their cash. Quality is suspect, even with luxury brands. Carrying a 10- 30 percent price
premium, the cars are not good value. The purchaser is really paying a stiff price for a dubious
extended warranty and, maybe, a superficial reconditioning. Some dealers do the bare minimum;
motor, transmission and cooling system fluid changes and a clean up. Others try to persuade shoppers
the warranty eliminates the need for their own trusted mechanic's pre-purchase inspection. It doesn't!
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 06:07:02 am »
Don't drink the Certified Pre-owned (CPO) Kool-Aid. It's a marketing gimmick to separate buyers from
more of their cash. Quality is suspect, even with luxury brands. Carrying a 10- 30 percent price
premium, the cars are not good value. The purchaser is really paying a stiff price for a dubious
extended warranty and, maybe, a superficial reconditioning. Some dealers do the bare minimum;
motor, transmission and cooling system fluid changes and a clean up. Others try to persuade shoppers
the warranty eliminates the need for their own trusted mechanic's pre-purchase inspection. It doesn't!

While I'm not quite as cynical as this poster he does raise a valid point as to value. While I think CPO'd cars are often very good, given the price premium you are paying a fairly hefty fee for an extended powertrain warranty. I'm not sure the best used car buy still isn't a locally owned vehicle with service reords and a clean inspection bought through a private sale. Hard to find but often worth the search.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:33:44 am »
yes, but.    How many BMWs, M-Bs Audis etc. are actually bought not leased?   I guess that for CPO-able cars ( low mileage, perfect condition) 90% go back to the dealer at lease end who will sell them CPO, there will be very few sold privately.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:09:55 am »
yes, but.    How many BMWs, M-Bs Audis etc. are actually bought not leased?   I guess that for CPO-able cars ( low mileage, perfect condition) 90% go back to the dealer at lease end who will sell them CPO, there will be very few sold privately.

:iagree: 

....if I were in the market for an Audi, Merc or Bimmer, I'd go CPO.  If you are paying $30,000++ for a USED car, what is another $1,000 (or whatever) for one that give you absolute authority to put the boots to the dealer if it doesn't perform as advertised?   :rofl2:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:15:03 am by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:25:22 am »
GMs 30 day/2,500kms exchange policy is a good idea but their 3 month warranty is a joke.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 09:59:20 am »
So the warranty's for these...are we talking the Lubrico BS or a real warranty from the manufacturer? I just read VW's Certified used car program - they really don't offer any additional warranties unless you pay for a 'premium warranty'. The only thing you get is 6 months of roadside assistance, a 112-point inspection (whether or not they fix problems they find is another thing) and a Carproof report. Wouldn't you be better off just being a smart consumer and look for a non-certified used car that has a service history? Pay for the $40 carproof and you've just saved $1,450.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 10:08:49 am »
I recall from my previous years of working at dealerships that not all vehicles met CPO. If the vehicle cost to much to bring up to CPO standards it was sold as a regular used car.

I would be more confident buying a different brand i.e. Honda at a Toyota dealership than a non CPO Toyota at a Toyota dealership.

Only dealership specific brands can be CPO and if they fail not to be they are either to old, high mileage or in bad shape.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 10:09:07 am »
Thanks Greg for a very informative article.  I often thought of getting a BMW or Merc the CPO route and save myself some money.  It's nice to have that complete summary on page 2.  Saves us time googling this shiznit.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 10:59:15 am »
I recall from my previous years of working at dealerships that not all vehicles met CPO. If the vehicle cost to much to bring up to CPO standards it was sold as a regular used car.

I would be more confident buying a different brand i.e. Honda at a Toyota dealership than a non CPO Toyota at a Toyota dealership.

Only dealership specific brands can be CPO and if they fail not to be they are either to old, high mileage or in bad shape.

That was always my thoughts on CPO.  Not so much for the warranty, but for the fact it was 'as good as new' when buying it.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 12:11:47 pm »
Finance interest rates are often below 1% on cars in the program as well.

IMO this is the real carrot to going CPO route: most of the depreciation is taken care of WITH decent financing.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 12:19:33 pm »
Toyota also has a good program. 12 mo/20,000km warranty or balance of factory warranty, whatever is greater, with the option to purchase more, and very good financing rates.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »
Toyota also has a good program. 12 mo/20,000km warranty or balance of factory warranty, whatever is greater, with the option to purchase more, and very good financing rates.

Now they just need to start selling interesting cars...  ;D

Does that apply to Scion?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 02:00:55 pm »

there will be very few sold privately.

Yours was probably the last.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 02:08:23 pm »
I'm familiar with the Audi and MB certified used programs and there's no question that this is the way I'd go looking for a used car. The warranty is legit and usually a combo of remaining new car warranty plus the extended warranty (which is not 3rd party). Most amount to 5 years or so. Finance interest rates are often below 1% on cars in the program as well. Purchase price comes down to your ability to negotiate like every other situation. I don't really think these cars are necessarily special so you have to evaluate the vehicle like you would in any other situation.

Good post.  Ya, CPO cars aren't particularly special.  Always the low milers which isn't necessarily a good thing.  You can take a car that hasn't been washed for 3 years with bumper scratches and for $300 make it look like the day it was made.

I agree the key lies in the financing offers. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 04:52:22 pm »
I don't know about other makes, but I've never heard of a Mercedes dealer selling an aftermarket warranty.  Mercedes offers a wide range of factory warranty products, and if a used car has an extended warranty, that warranty coverage is going to be excellent.  I've owned a few brands, and I've never had warranty service like Mercedes.  Dealers always go over the car with a fine toothed comb, looking for anything that might be covered.  Also, Mercedes never took shortcuts when it came to repairs.  I had a few instances where MB Canada could have saved bucks through a repair, but instead replaced very expensive components.

My Dad bought a CPO Mercedes, and it wasn't much more than he would have paid anywhere else for one with similar mileage/condition/records, etc.

We looked at some CPO Lexus RX models, and they all had very detailed/excellent service records.

I don't think the Subaru CPO program is worth a nickle.  I looked at a late model Outback, and it seemed no better than any other used Outback, had limited records, and they were asking a huge premium.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 06:39:21 pm »
I'm familiar with the Audi and MB certified used programs and there's no question that this is the way I'd go looking for a used car. The warranty is legit and usually a combo of remaining new car warranty plus the extended warranty (which is not 3rd party). Most amount to 5 years or so. Finance interest rates are often below 1% on cars in the program as well. Purchase price comes down to your ability to negotiate like every other situation. I don't really think these cars are necessarily special so you have to evaluate the vehicle like you would in any other situation.
exactly...when i was looking at some MB products last year, they offered a 6 year (can't recall the exact mileage, maybe 160,000 km) warranty from the date it was "in service"...most cars were 3-4 years old (4 being the tops), meaning you basically received 2-3 years of full warranty, which was fairly decent...all their CPO cars looked as good as new (if you weren't familiar with the models, you wouldn't know they were new) and were fairly low mileage as well...i won't be in the market for another vehicle for some time, but i might consider a slightly used vehicle next time around, and that new GLK diesel has curious. 8)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Karumba

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 04:32:54 pm »
Just went to check out a CPO honda today ... Visors scratched up, interior door trim uneven, scratches on the body, and the car couldn't even start without a battery boost.  Ok, so I can see they've vacuumed the interior.  Not quite sure exactly what they've done to classify it as a certified pre-owned ...

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 05:15:44 pm »
I just bought my 3rd CPO bmw 2 months ago.  Paid on par what they go for on kijiji privately, got 1.9% financing and the car has brand new tires, brakes, fresh oil, valve cover gasket, and it looks 95% new.  I found that if you're after a RWD one of these they discount them very sharply haha.

It has 2.5 yrs of BMW (not 3rd party) warranty left on it.  I've never kept one past the CPO but every time I've taken them in I got loaners or rides to work free of charge, complimentary car wash etc. I'd never own one of these cars outside of warranty however  :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »
Everyone (apart from the poster above) seems to be missing the point completely.  It's not about warranty, although that is helpful.  It's also about the ridiculously good rates.  BMW offer a full warranty AFAIK and rates from 0.9% to 1.9%.  Many manufacturers won't meet that on NEW cars let alone 3yr old ones...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...