Author Topic: 2015 Acura TLX Tech  (Read 12296 times)

Northernridge

Re: 2015 Acura TLX Tech
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 11:42:50 am »
The more I see fuel economy numbers from other sedans, the more impressed I am with the Berlin taxi average of 9.9.

The results are in boys, the pudgy E350 is a strong segment competitor in terms of real-world gas mileage.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 12:00:50 pm »
The more I see fuel economy numbers from other sedans, the more impressed I am with the Berlin taxi average of 9.9.

The results are in boys, the pudgy E350 is a strong segment competitor in terms of real-world gas mileage.

You can't really make that assertion without driving the cars in a similar environment though... your habits and driving patterns in Winnipeg vs that in GTA are hugely different.

Northernridge

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 03:22:26 pm »

You can't really make that assertion without driving the cars in a similar environment though... your habits and driving patterns in Winnipeg vs that in GTA are hugely different.

You could be right but I wonder...Winnipeg is congested during rush hour, we just don't have as far to go. I work right off Portage and Main so I deal with the the slowest moving traffic the city has. There are very few freeways in the city so all speeds are pretty slow. My average lifetime speed is under 50km/h according to the car. And southern Ontario doesn't come anywhere near to our sustained cold winter temps.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:33:19 am by Northernridge »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 04:33:57 pm »
I Googled images of Winnipeg rush hours. That's cute.  ;D

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 04:49:26 pm »

You could be right but I wonder...Winnipeg is congested during rush hour, we just don't have as far to go. I work right off Portage and Main so I deal with the the slowest moving traffic the city has. There are very few freeways in the city so all speeds are pretty slow. My average lifetime speed in under 50km/h according to the car. And southern Ontario doesn't come anywhere near to our sustained cold winter temps.

Do you park in a garage? Then the cold weather influence certainly reduces.
How much do you travel on highway?

My Focus's fuel consumption is terrible in Fredericton, right now hovering 9.5 l/100 km, essentially 100% "city" (not much in the way of traffic, but all the associated stop signs and lights) . But if I were the only one driving it, the numbers would be closer to 8.8. I think part of that is the hilly terrain here - when I was in the GTA this summer I had no trouble hitting 6s avg consumption whereas here it'd be around 7 at the lowest.

The Corolla, on the other hand, is more consistent year-round.

The problem is that without isolating variables your statement becomes very vague and inaccurate. You'd need to drive it in your regular scenario, and even there confirmation bias comes into play.

I'm not just saying this to be argumentative - I often see people comment and make assumptions based on author's fuel economy, and one should be careful when doing that because of the variables at play.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 08:14:01 pm »

Winnipeg is congested during rush hour, There are no freeways in the city so all speeds are pretty slow.

FIFY.  ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 08:34:49 pm »

Winnipeg is congested during rush hour, There are no freeways in the city so all speeds are pretty slow.

FIFY.  ;D

Freeway means only one thing to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip_pjb5_fgA  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2014, 09:02:07 am »
You could be right but I wonder...Winnipeg is congested during rush hour, we just don't have as far to go. I work right off Portage and Main so I deal with the the slowest moving traffic the city has. There are very few freeways in the city so all speeds are pretty slow. My average lifetime speed in under 50km/h according to the car. And southern Ontario doesn't come anywhere near to our sustained cold winter temps.

One day I drove from Toronto to Cambridge (100kms) and it took me 3.5 hours. Yep an avg of ONLY 28.57 KPH! All highway, no accidents, great weather and dry roads.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2014, 04:18:49 pm »
I never consider what the readout says on a 'tester' vehicle.

Sorry NONO, dealer car/management vehicle.  Acura quotes 11L/100 city and I think 12L/100 is pretty well bang on the city rating.

But thanks for the heads up on "testers".  Would have never thought of that.  :)
You needn't be such an as$hole, sir.

My comment suggests that one should not necessarily take the fuel economy readout that is showing when one gets into a car to test drive it as an example of what real world expectations should be.  I did not say that 12L/100km was high, nor any specification of what I felt the TLX would get. 

But you're welcome for the heads up, i.e. my own personal opinion, and thank you, good sir, for your sarcasm.  Truly making the world a better place one snarky remark at a time.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 11:18:08 pm »
Thanks, nice write up.
Nicely done. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience with us.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 09:24:36 am »