Author Topic: Volkswagen and Toyota Score Top Marks in Strategic Vision's Total Quality Index  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

"Volkswagen has best total quality, Toyota fewest problems,' says Strategic Vision's Total Quality Index

Read More...

Offline Beckler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic
Perhaps I'm missing something but this is a huge "who cares" score.  Issues within the first year?  Who cares, it's under warranty anyway.  Why does no one try to measure issues over the long term and also try to factor in driving habits (rate of braking, acceleration, etc.)  This would require 'black boxes' but would be quite useful, easy and cheap to implement by some independent ratings organization.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Imho issues in the first year are far more annoying that issues later.    The car is new and shouln't have issues!
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Beckler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic
True, but I find 5 years later when my transmission explodes and I have to spend $2k to fix it, even more annoying.  :)  I don't know why there appears to be no *authoritative* long-term reliability data...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
True, but I find 5 years later when my transmission explodes and I have to spend $2k $5000 or more to fix it, even more annoying.  :)  I don't know why there appears to be no *authoritative* long-term reliability data...

Consumer Reports is about the best currently.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline 68meteor

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic, Silverado
This looks more like a rating of which ones are prettiest from brand new.  The ones that have the newest features and coolest looks.  How long they last is not really part of the equation, so you have to understand which quality it's rating.  This list makes me feel that it works in favor of certain companies that build nice looking and high tech cars with the latest gadgetry that don't necessarily rank high on the J.D. Power Initial Quality Study.  This rating would work for the car buyers that are trading in their 3 year old vehicle for the latest and greatest, so long term quality doesn't really matter.