Author Topic: One meter rule  (Read 17670 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2108
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: One meter rule
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 02:18:34 pm »
Bicycles ans motor vehicles do not belong on the same road.

:iagree: :winner:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 02:31:46 pm »
I'm a long time cyclist, riding on roads on my own since grade 5. Following traffic rules and what not. I was told that drivers have to give me 1 metre from the curb to ride. That's how wide the painted bike paths are. To have them 1m away from me seems excessive. When I am riding alongside parked cars, I want to stay at least a metre away from cars and expect to have a 50cm buffer, so 1.5m from parked cars.

It's the law.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-760
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 02:40:57 pm »
Oh I would love to, but that means going into oncoming traffic, which is also illegal. Little old ladies crossing the street are not the problem, holding up a line of traffic of a few kilometres because you want to be cute and ride a bike, thats a problem.

The article says you can cross the centre line if it is safe to do so. If I'm on a two lane road and there's pedestrians or cyclists on my side, I go as far to the left as I can. Really not a big deal.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 02:42:32 pm »

Why, because to safely coexist is mildly inconvenient for drivers?

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 03:14:59 pm »

Great to hear that both of you are willing to support initiatives to spend your tax dollars on dedicated bike infrastructure.  Two thumbs up!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 03:33:13 pm »

Great to hear that both of you are willing to support initiatives to spend your tax dollars on dedicated bike infrastructure.  Two thumbs up!

No no, get them the hell off the roads, they want bike lanes, they can pay for them....oh...and nothing that slows down traffic.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 03:41:04 pm »
Maybe a special  bike user tax and annual bike licensing fees to go towards bike lanes. You know, the way automobile drivers pay billions in license fees and fuel taxes :stick:.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 03:54:27 pm »

No no, get them the hell off the roads, they want bike lanes, they can pay for them....oh...and nothing that slows down traffic.

How often would you say you are slowed down by bicyclists?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 03:55:45 pm »

How often would you say you are slowed down by bicyclists?

Actually, a few times a week. Also cause dangerous situations

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 07:37:10 pm »
Should pedestrian pay for sidewalks with annual fees and taxes too?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 08:22:04 pm »
Should pedestrian pay for sidewalks with annual fees and taxes too?
Where I live, everyone already does in the form of personal property taxes and a +0,25% local consumption tax addition. But I don't mind, because I use the sidewalks too and appreciate their expansion.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 10:38:27 pm »
Maybe a special  bike user tax and annual bike licensing fees to go towards bike lanes. You know, the way automobile drivers pay billions in license fees and fuel taxes :stick:.

If you really feel user-pay is the way to go then please send more of you dollars to the govt since currently the road and highway system is heavily subsidized.  And let's make it that the charge is based on usage  so suburban dwellers pay much more than those occasional car users in the center of cities.

I know this discussion is pointless and I'm not going to change your mind .. but this continual car-is-king by some god-given divine right just seems so narrow-minded.  There are alternatives but .. yes .. they do require everybody to contribute.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 11:17:22 pm »
I am so incredibly happy that my new job/commute no longer takes me to downtown Toronto, where the cyclists are utterly moronic and more than occasionally militant. The suburbs are thankfully much more rational. I think there is a definite cultural difference between suburban cyclists (generally fine) and downtown cyclists (generally utter louts).

And secondly, what if you pass a cyclist giving 1m but he starts to move towards the car? Does the car then need to continue to move leftward? What about lane splitting cyclists? What if the car is there first? On a multi lane street what is to stop a cyclist from weaving left and right in their 1m bubble of traffic tickets and demerit point generation?

While I have no particular love of the rightward shift of certain polities (Trump, Brexit) the incredible left leaning changes in traffic laws needs to stop. It has reached a point of utter stupidity. It isn't easy being centrist.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 11:40:04 pm »
I am so incredibly happy that my new job/commute no longer takes me to downtown Toronto, where the cyclists are utterly moronic and more than occasionally militant. The suburbs are thankfully much more rational. I think there is a definite cultural difference between suburban cyclists (generally fine) and downtown cyclists (generally utter louts).

And secondly, what if you pass a cyclist giving 1m but he starts to move towards the car? Does the car then need to continue to move leftward? What about lane splitting cyclists? What if the car is there first? On a multi lane street what is to stop a cyclist from weaving left and right in their 1m bubble of traffic tickets and demerit point generation?

While I have no particular love of the rightward shift of certain polities (Trump, Brexit) the incredible left leaning changes in traffic laws needs to stop. It has reached a point of utter stupidity. It isn't easy being centrist.

I'm very thankful that I'm in a small, very hilly, eastern city with relatively few peddle bikes on the roads. I couldn't imagine driving regularly in TO or Vancouver with all those idiots cutting in and out of traffic.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 11:42:10 pm »

If you really feel user-pay is the way to go then please send more of you dollars to the govt since currently the road and highway system is heavily subsidized.  And let's make it that the charge is based on usage  so suburban dwellers pay much more than those occasional car users in the center of cities.

I know this discussion is pointless and I'm not going to change your mind .. but this continual car-is-king by some god-given divine right just seems so narrow-minded.  There are alternatives but .. yes .. they do require everybody to contribute.

Sorry, not interested in contributing....just want to be able to drive down the street without having to dodge some wobbly cyclist.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 01:26:35 am »
Fair enough .. bikes shouldn't be wobbling all over the road.  And I just want to bike commute to work on the only infrastructure available to me and not worry about getting run over by innatentive drivers who can't drive in a straight line.  Fortunately not all bicyclist wobble all over the road (despite comments here to the contrary) nor are all motorist  innatentive.  Let us both hope that when you pass me on my bike I'm riding in a courteous manner and you are driving defensively and we both make it happily and safely to our destinations using the transportation method of our choice.

Is this a great country or what..?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-633
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 06:45:16 am »
Lets face it...There are d-bags in cars, on bikes or just walking everywhere. These people are the real problem.

I don't understand why we all can't get along and share the same space.

I also find it funny that the majority of problems I have with cars is when there is plenty of room for them to pass yet they intentionally buzz me when they go by and some are even really special by either yelling, honking or throwing their garbage at me.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 07:46:52 am »

;D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 08:05:38 am »

Lets face it...There are d-bags in cars, on bikes or just walking everywhere. These people are the real problem.

This is true but the issue is that cyclists aren't really identifiable and have an easy time running from enforcement. No plate, no license, no insurance, and can just duck off into some alley to avoid responsibility.

I strongly feel this is one of the major causes of moronic cyclist behavior especially downtown. A total lack of governance and responsibility which means there is little downside to breaking rules as a cyclist. So human natute being what it is they ignore rules. Worse yet additional rules keep getting piled on drivers out of (IMHO) convenience rather than good policy. 

If the law stated that anyone on the road in any form of vehicle had to have a plate and insurance (and in the downtown core I believe this should be the case) and a license things would be dramatically different.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 10:20:57 am »
Cyclists do pay income tax, property tax, etc which all pay for roads. Cycles do not operate on highways, which I'm pretty sure gas taxes would hardly cover maintaining.

Sure cyclists can duck responsibility, but so can drunk drivers, pedestrians, and anyone associated with the police force.

Downtown, especially in Toronto, the issue is that there is too much real estate allowed to single occupant cars with insufficient bike infrastructure. This slows down cyclists and transit users who can use the space more efficiently. As much as I love cars ( we're on a car forum!), motorists do not cover the cost of infrastructure. A mild inconvenience to those sitting on their asses in a climate controlled controlled box doesn't seem reason enough to ban cyclists on the streets.

Re the 1m rule meet: the whole point of the gap is to allow the cyclist some space to swerve, be it to avoid a chipmunk or pothole