Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo  (Read 16741 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:28:38 am »

Buick brings respectable performance and handling despite excessively optimistic marketing spin.

Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Buick Verano Turbo
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:16:45 am »
good car. We are selling quite a few of these. Loaded for around $34k. Not half bad, and it is pretty quick in that midrange.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:11:46 am »
"I find it looks remarkably similar overall to the latest Ford Focus and Escape; until you look at button and controls placement, the centre stack is well laid out and aesthetically pleasing. I’m not a fan of such a heavy use of buttons in the grand scheme of things, and although the controls for climate and audio were simple and straightforward, they could have easily presented it all in a somewhat less idiot-proof fashion."

So now it's bad to have logically laid out controls that are intuitive?   ::)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
"I find it looks remarkably similar overall to the latest Ford Focus and Escape; until you look at button and controls placement, the centre stack is well laid out and aesthetically pleasing. I’m not a fan of such a heavy use of buttons in the grand scheme of things, and although the controls for climate and audio were simple and straightforward, they could have easily presented it all in a somewhat less idiot-proof fashion."

So now it's bad to have logically laid out controls that are intuitive?   ::)

I think what he is trying to say, it's not laid out like a VW interior (as an example).  In the Buick, (and many cars nowadays) just to increase the fan speed, you have to take your eyes off the road, and look at the dash for a few seconds.  It's a tough balance, the public wants it to look cool, easy to function, and have lots of features.  I just want it easy to function, simple layout, and materials that will hold up to the test of time...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 10:33:32 am »
It's not a segment I will be shopping for in a long time.  But the Verano is one of Buicks best sedans.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but it has a lot going for it.  Two good engine choices, the 2.4L and the 2.0LT (available in manual, don't recall the article mentioning that).  One of the quietest in the segment (doesn't mention that either), surprisingly priced well (considering how GM prices their vehicles)

Like many I could do without some of the portholes.  From the sales stats, it sells pretty well, more than the ILX.  The Regal is doing very poorly in terms of sales, Buick will have to do something about that.

Wish the Encore had the 2.4L at least....

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 10:48:08 am »
I like the Verano. I just like the combination that the Verano offers, especially in the more affordable 2.4L trim. It's compact but comfortable enough for rear passengers, it has a nice looking interior and exterior, it's quiet, offers luxury features (nice leather, good stereo) and doesn't break the bank. If I were commuting long distances I think this would be a great companion.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:12:26 am »
I like the Verano. I just like the combination that the Verano offers, especially in the more affordable 2.4L trim. It's compact but comfortable enough for rear passengers, it has a nice looking interior and exterior, it's quiet, offers luxury features (nice leather, good stereo) and doesn't break the bank. If I were commuting long distances I think this would be a great companion.

In light of discussion in another thread here, what luxury features does the Verano offer? Does nice leather and good stereo define a luxury car?
Verano is a good quality well built mainstream vehicle offered at a decent price (surprizingly from GM). Premium at best but not luxury. IMO, of course.

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 11:34:25 am »
Beyond the Acura I see the authors line up the Buick against BMW, VW and Mercedes. I wonder if that's really how consumers see it...or if it's more for GM drivers who can afford more than a Chevy but not quite a Cadillac.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:32:41 pm »
I don't mind this car but every time I see the back I think of Millhouse  :rofl2:

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:46:07 pm »
For this money, I would want a real IRS, not a twist beam. I have sat in the Verano and I am afraid that the materials in the interior are no better than the Focus I had as a rental last week. Cheap plastics, chintzy leather and short seat cushions.

I am a base model buyer anyway. All the gee-gaws and doo-dads do nothing for me. How the car drives, turns, stops and overall integrity mean much more than gee-gaws and do-hickys. It's the base price that matters to me as I see "premium" and "tech" packages as ways to empty the wallet in a manner that doesn't enhance the driving experience of the car.

This is VW GTi money, a car that is, in my opinion, as screaming deal at a base of just under $30k. Even with the sport package and leather (which I would not buy) you are still only about $1500 away from a Verano.

This car will do little but take sales away from the dead in the showroom LaCrosse. It will, however, do well in China where it has a huge price advantage over the German imports, which have a 100% duty added to them.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 03:05:22 pm »

In light of discussion in another thread here, what luxury features does the Verano offer? Does nice leather and good stereo define a luxury car?
Verano is a good quality well built mainstream vehicle offered at a decent price (surprizingly from GM). Premium at best but not luxury. IMO, of course.

I don't really buy into GM's marketing of this being a luxury car. That's really the furthest thing from my priority list when I'm looking at a car, and I don't put much weight on phrases or positioning used in marketing or advertising cars. To me, this is just a mainstream car that assembles together a better feature list than the already-competent Cruze, mates it to a competitive pair of engines, and wraps it all up in a good-looking package for a reasonable price.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 03:14:28 pm »
Maybe I'm not a German Auto Geek, and maybe "convert" implies turning one's back on German autos which I certainly have not. However I own a 2006 Jetta 2.0T DSG and have owned BMWs and an Audi A4. My Verano Turbo has no problem competing, when realistically factoring in real world all-in pricing (freight, discounts), AFTER ensuring vehicles are similarly equipped. And its superior in a few ways (insulation from outside noise and dealing with bumps being two). 

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 05:29:30 pm »
They should put this engine in the Cruze. Call it the RS, oh and bring the cute little Cruze wagon over here as well.

I would love to try out a regal turbo with AWD.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 05:48:59 pm »
They should put this engine in the Cruze. Call it the RS, oh and bring the cute little Cruze wagon over here as well.

Agreed on the Cruze RS and the wagon.

As for the Regal, just wait a few months...AWD is available now on 2014 models.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 06:38:45 pm »

Agreed on the Cruze RS and the wagon.

As for the Regal, just wait a few months...AWD is available now on 2014 models.

A member on the Calgary car forums just bought a Regal GS. He cross shoped it with a slew of other cars and so far quite happy with it. I find the Regal a very attractive car.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 06:39:13 pm »
It's not a segment I will be shopping for in a long time.  But the Verano is one of Buicks best sedans

I'm not sure that's saying much, but I do feel it is the best of the bunch.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 06:50:31 pm »
For this money, I would want a real IRS, not a twist beam. I have sat in the Verano and I am afraid that the materials in the interior are no better than the Focus I had as a rental last week. Cheap plastics, chintzy leather and short seat cushions.

I am a base model buyer anyway. All the gee-gaws and doo-dads do nothing for me. How the car drives, turns, stops and overall integrity mean much more than gee-gaws and do-hickys. It's the base price that matters to me as I see "premium" and "tech" packages as ways to empty the wallet in a manner that doesn't enhance the driving experience of the car.

This is VW GTi money, a car that is, in my opinion, as screaming deal at a base of just under $30k. Even with the sport package and leather (which I would not buy) you are still only about $1500 away from a Verano.

This car will do little but take sales away from the dead in the showroom LaCrosse. It will, however, do well in China where it has a huge price advantage over the German imports, which have a 100% duty added to them.

I would compare this more to the Jetta GLI, (not the GTI as that is a hatch, and not a CC as in the article, that's a midsize).  The Verano has 50hp more than the GLI, and 57lb-ft torque more than the GLI.  Doing a build and price on both websites, and matching features where possible, upgraded the GLI to 18" rims, added a power sunroof to the Verano, you get the same price with tax $38,000 and change.  But right now the Verano has $1750 off if you pay cash... I prefer the interior of the GLI, but the exterior of the Verano...  I think the ILX, Audi A3, and the GLI are the closest competitors to the Verano. 

Also, sales are decent for this niche market..

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 12:35:49 am »
i doubt many buyers pay cash for a car like that, but even if they do, that GLI will be worth twice what the Verano is 5-6 years...the extra $1750 you save on the Verano could likely be begged from a VW dealer at the right time (or at least some of it)...don't get me wrong, i like the Verano, but if the GLI and the Verano are THAT close in price, there isn't much to think about in that equation.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 12:37:06 am »
i am curious about the comment in the article regarding torque steer in the Kia Optima Turbo...having driven a Sonata Turbo (which should be the same), i was amazed at how torque steer was virtually non-existent (which has also been mentioned in other reviews)...this is the first i have seen someone say there was torque steer in that vehicle.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 09:05:45 am »
For some reason a local dealer buys GM cars from the states, ex rentals, demos or managers cars. They have some manual Verano Turbos but they, like the other US cars, haven't sold. I know it gives them cheap cars to sell but no one wants them. I guess their plan isn't working.
yep, the manuals are not selling...at all. We have sold only a handful.

see, everyone cries "Give it a manual! Where is the manual, or else it is merely a pretender to be sporty!" and then nobody but nobody buys it. The auto is plenty good and shifts well, plus it can take as much torque tuned as the manual so there is no choosing if you are going that route.

now a Camaro or S4 or something of that ilk NEEDS a manual option because the clientele expects that. But a Verano Turbo which is a lightly toasted Verano...nobody sees the point.