Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI  (Read 8150 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:07:06 am »

Volkswagen's Touareg is a pricey SUV, but its available TDI diesel engine returns remarkable fuel economy.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:36:10 am »
Very nice vehicle! I am still having occasional second thoughts about picking the ML over the Touareg. In fact, in the final analysis it was the terms offered,sales experience and local dealer reputation that tipped the balance rather than the vehicles themselves. I don't think I've ever sat in a vehicle with more comfortable seats than the Touareg.

I think the Touareg is more representative of the old VW that was trying to be a premium or near luxury brand rather than the new VW's strategy of lower prices and higher volume vehicles like the new Jetta and Passat
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-453
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:08:16 am »
I really like this SUV.  I wish there were more affordable diesel SUV options on the market but that being said this is the cheapest.  To me though this is definitely a luxury vehicle.  I actually like this more than any other SUV's that VW group make.  Now if they offered the Porsche in diesel I might change my mind.  What needs to happen is a diesel in VW's smaller SUV's like the Tiguan and Q5/3. 

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:25:18 am »
As any the article finished with the price I can begin with: this one is a very pricy "people's car".  It goes in the territory of price range where few liters of fuel isn't any issue for the owners to pay at pumps. Psychologically Touareg TDI is a vehicle without real world's market niche. It isn't a celebrity statement of Audi's Q-series TDIs as well and the traditional VW electrical and electronics "reliability" eats everything of the vehicle's long term image.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:12:33 am »
Now if they offered the Porsche in diesel I might change my mind.

They do. Starts about $10K more than the Touareg.

I really like this SUV, high on my if I ever decide to buy a SUV list.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:51:17 am »
Not sure about the Toureg, but my biggest beef with Mercedes on the ML and GL is the lack of the spare tire because it's where they put the DEF tank.  So, they add heavier (read worse for fuel economy) Run Flats.  So, here I am in the middle of no where Saskatchewan, destroyed my run flat after driving on it flat and a guy in a Chevy Suburban is pointing and laughing because I brought out a girly (read no spare tire equipped) SUV out into the country.  Not so smart.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:51:25 am »
Isn't this vehicle basically a re-contented Cayenne anyway? I seem to remember when these models were revised a year or two ago that each lost something like 200 kg of weight. I found that suspiciously similar.

Of course the Porsche probably has different suspension tunings but since neither is a sports car I'd think that difference wouldn't be huge. In that light, if this is a sort-of Porsche, maybe the price isn't that outrageous in comparison to a Cayenne.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:24:34 am »
Very nice SUV.  It would definitely be on my test drive list if I were shopping in that price range.  Nice to have the diesel option.  I really like the restyled GTI-ish front end treatment.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 10:27:43 am »
Not sure about the Toureg, but my biggest beef with Mercedes on the ML and GL is the lack of the spare tire because it's where they put the DEF tank.  So, they add heavier (read worse for fuel economy) Run Flats.  So, here I am in the middle of no where Saskatchewan, destroyed my run flat after driving on it flat and a guy in a Chevy Suburban is pointing and laughing because I brought out a girly (read no spare tire equipped) SUV out into the country.  Not so smart.

In Canada MB supplies regular tires ,a can of sealant and a 12V compressor....or at least that's what they were doing for the 2011's when I bought mine.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12345
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 10:40:08 am »
I like everything about the Toerag except the name.  Really a very nice vehicle.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:43:49 am »
If I were in the market for a $60K SUV, this would be on top of my list.  I own a VW now and yeah, there were one or two electrical gremlins, but nothing major - fixed under warranty.  Otherwise a nice drive.  My most reliable car was my old 2007 VW Rabbit - completely bulletproof (at least for the 4 years I've owned it).  Honda's reliability is no better - trust me I've owned three of them (CRX, Civic, and Acura Legend).  I just wanted to dispell the german car reliablility myth.  And to the poster who mentioned that people in this income bracket don't care so much about gas prices - that is also simply a myth.  Why is it that in Europe upper middle class people will generally buy diesel versions of the same cars?  Efficiency plus loads of torque, that's why.  Now if you're talking about the SUPER rich - I'll give you that they don't care - but then again multi-millionaires are not lining up to buy Touaregs, are they?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 10:47:03 am »

Well that must be new.  I know they sold it in Europe but didn't know they started in Canada.  Well then I guess that's the best SUV that VW group make.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49:21 am »
I like everything about the Toerag except the name.  Really a very nice vehicle.

Jaeger

It's better and more logical than Tiguan or Macan or Panamera... VW ran custom-built Touaregs (probably about as close to our Touaregs as NASCAR racers to mid-size sedans) right through Touareg country in North Africa for the Dakkar rally...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:56 am »

Well that must be new.  I know they sold it in Europe but didn't know they started in Canada.  Well then I guess that's the best SUV that VW group make.

http://www.autos.ca/general-news/canada-to-receive-the-cayenne-diesel

"The Cayenne Diesel arrives in Porsche Centre showrooms in September and will be priced starting from $64,500."

I'd still take the Touareg over the Cayenne—i don't think I'll ever come around on the Cayenne's design...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 10:54:32 am »

"The Cayenne Diesel arrives in Porsche Centre showrooms in September and will be priced starting from $64,500."

I'd still take the Touareg over the Cayenne—i don't think I'll ever come around on the Cayenne's design...
Well I don't mind the exterior design at all but where the Cayenne will beat the Tourag will be handling and interior fit and finish.  Personally I love the new interior of the Cayenne.  Would I pay that much extra for the Cayenne over the Tourag, I'm not sure I'd have to test them back to back.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:20 am »
Why is it that in Europe upper middle class people will generally buy diesel versions of the same cars?

Well, yes and no! In Europe is totally different philosophy and existing market supports the same vehicles with diesel engine versions. Not in North America! All diesel cars/SUVs here are premium priced! Even the "people car" Golf/Jetta is premium overpriced when is with TDI engine. The rest diesel in the bunch are few well known as well - Audi and MB. That's it. This so called diesel car market here tiny and undeveloped, premium price oriented and on top of this is the lack of routine affordable service. The diesel stations are limited number as well. In Europe you can buy paying reasonable up front small premium priced almost any car - from small Fiat Panda and Opel Corsa, through all Hyundais, Ford Focus (yes Focus), Fusion, any Seat, Peugeot, Vauxhall ...as well BMW, Audi, BMW, MB and ...even Jag or Rovers!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:57 am »

Well I don't mind the exterior design at all but where the Cayenne will beat the Tourag will be handling and interior fit and finish.  Personally I love the new interior of the Cayenne.  Would I pay that much extra for the Cayenne over the Tourag, I'm not sure I'd have to test them back to back.

I wouldn't be so sure about the interior fit and finish part. The Touareg I drove was at least as good if not better as any of the other premium SUV's I test drove.

Offline Pedestrian_A

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 06:35:12 am »
I wish VW still make the old V10 TDI from last gen Touareg...  Anyhow, VW should bring the European V8 TDI Touareg to Canada

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 02:45:54 am »
I wish VW still make the old V10 TDI from last gen Touareg...  Anyhow, VW should bring the European V8 TDI Touareg to Canada

No you don't.  You wish they offered the 6.0L V12 turbo diesel out of the Q7 with 500HP and 738lb-ft of torque. :)

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 11:57:53 am »
Yes, it's the same vehicle, or at least built on the same platform. The 200 kg weight saving was mostly achieved by ripping out the real off road bits - low-range transmission and locking diffs. That seriously pi**ed off many of the Touareg fans in North America since they prized these features. It's not even possible to get the air suspension option in the US or Canada any more.

Isn't this vehicle basically a re-contented Cayenne anyway? I seem to remember when these models were revised a year or two ago that each lost something like 200 kg of weight. I found that suspiciously similar.

Of course the Porsche probably has different suspension tunings but since neither is a sports car I'd think that difference wouldn't be huge. In that light, if this is a sort-of Porsche, maybe the price isn't that outrageous in comparison to a Cayenne.