Author Topic: Suggestions/thoughts appreciated on future possible purchase  (Read 12988 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Suggestions/thoughts appreciated on future possible purchase
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 10:17:04 am »
at 100kms, it should show even more actually tauri. the carproof/carfaxes are now showing services if they are done at registered places...  so it should show a whole lot more than even 7. they do show a basic summary of what it was in for though as well, so if it shows "transmission, suspension, transmission, sunroof leak, transmission..." yeah... walk away... if it says service... cool. see how often they were doing it kms wise and backtrack...

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 11:15:39 am »

I saw a 2013 Sonata Limited for $13k. It has the navi option and Carproof shows a page full of entries that it has regularly visited the dealer in Amos, QC since new but the only downside is it has over 100k so the warranty on it is gone. On a 2 year old car with no warranty left, would you still consider it or pass?

Pass...a page full of entries might be a concern too, is this a lemon? It should have 5-7 entries max, otherwise the car spent too much time at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many oil changes and winter tire changes (since it is in QC) could happen in 100K km? Add in a few repairs and you've easily got quite a long list.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 07:26:26 pm »
I took a pause from the shopping but now I am back in the game because more issues cropped up on this car and now it is getting out of control.

I found a 2009 Lexus ES Ultra Nav model. Fully loaded with HIDs, sensors, navigation, Bluetooth and panoramic sunroof. Also found a 2010 Venza Limited V6 with all the bells and whistles but this one has many dealer visits evenly sparsed over the years. Both were around 120k and both floating around the $15k mark. What I am sort of worried about is the durability of the all-glass panoramic roof. I know a lot of people don't like them/want them and someone in another thread mentioned it was $13k to fix one on a Mercedes?!  :o

Are they known to go bad like clockwork or are they isolated incidents? Anything else I should know about these or should I automatically forget these cars because of that feature?

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 09:46:34 am »
I'm not sure anyone on this forum owns an ES350 or Venza with panoramic sunroof. From a brief Google search, it seems as though there is a possibility of problems with the rubber seals:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/71328-2007-es350-panorama-roof-problems/

Also replacing the glass (if broken) might cost ~$3000...

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/51363-broken-panoramic-glass-roof-for-es350/

Since you're considering a used car purchase outside warranty period, I would suggest avoiding complexities like these.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 10:37:54 am »
Didn't Snowman have a Venza? Maybe one of the Oakville guys can chime in about his experiences with it?  I don't remember him ever saying one bad thing about it?
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 10:52:47 am »
Didn't Snowman have a Venza? Maybe one of the Oakville guys can chime in about his experiences with it?  I don't remember him ever saying one bad thing about it?

I've been driven in it more than once and it sure seemed nice to me.  I have a cousin that has owned one for about 6 years and other than itching for something new he has zero complaints.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 10:58:45 am »
Venza new one coming with a Pizza oven.. ??? ..screw the Vacuum thingie....capice.....and a Vino Cooler and a BIGGER TRUNK HOLDING BODY    knowwhaddamean :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 11:04:45 am »

I'm sure the Venza is a fine vehicle. The OP's concern seems to be directed more towards the panoramic sunroof on the specific vehicles he is considering.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 12:28:44 pm »

I remember him complaining about rattles due to the cheap interior...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 04:02:41 pm »
pano roofs are no more likely to fail than any other luxury items i have found. if you want some of them, then it is just one more... it's like nav in it's % chance of failure and cost to fix/replace usually in newer vehicles.

that being said, yeah, it adds complexities. so not a way to minimize service down the road, but wouldn't keep me away from it. and from my history at dealers, i haven't seen any increase in roof claims comparing a standard sunroof to a pano.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 01:05:08 pm »
Thanks for the input on the pano roof guys. Its not like I plan to use it 24/7, only on the very nice days I will.

That Venza got sold so so forget that for now. I went to go see an ES350 last evening and for the price they were asking for, I felt it was not worth it even with their "we can only take $500 off" deal. The trunk had bubbling rust starting from the trunk lid right under the license plate and the hood has a lot of rust spots from stone chips. But the real bummer is it had some sort of aftermarket immobilizer that required you to hold down it's button on the remote while using your other hand to start it. I found that very annoying so I passed. Now the only one remains to be seen is maybe that silver Ultra model. Sure as heck do not want beige. :(