Author Topic: Can running out of gas cause the Malfunction indicator to always remain on?  (Read 9153 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
In future do not run your car to almost empty. What does that accomplish. It does not save you gas or money. You end up putting yourself in stressful situations with the fear of running out. There is a safety issue as well. You can find yourself stuck in a unexpected traffic jam due to construction or an accident and then find yourself out of gas. This is a real pain for yourself and worse it causes more traffic problems for everyone else.

In winter running out of gas can be deadly. Also in winter having an empty tank can lead to moisture forming in tank which lead to water in your gas.

There is no upside!!! Your fuel gauge is not a video game. Just fill the friggin thing up.

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline .l..

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +23/-654
    • View Profile
NEW QUESTION---BUT I noticed when driving on the highway after picking up my car today, I was going 110 km and the RPM meter read 2.25. That is normal right? I think thats the way its always been but dont remember. I also noticed to get to 110 km, the RPM meter hits 3.5 then goes down to 2.25 and stays there as i keep it in cruise.

I noticed the same thing with my car...when it is in 5th it revs lower, and when it's in 4th it revs higher...and I can't figure out why when I'm on the highway sometimes it revs higher than when I'm not in 5th when I'm in 4th and why hasn't someone put an automatically actuated 5th gear or a warning light or bell in the car when I forget why it's revving so high when normally it's not revving so high when I'm on the highway. Sometimes I like the number 3.

My suggestion...take the bus. I'm sure you're also a danger on the road to those around you, even if you think you aren't. You'll also save a lot on gas money and your car will keep its value (and have a full tank longer) and be super low mileage in no time. 10 yrs minimum.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
NEW QUESTION---BUT I noticed when driving on the highway after picking up my car today, I was going 110 km and the RPM meter read 2.25. That is normal right? I think thats the way its always been but dont remember. I also noticed to get to 110 km, the RPM meter hits 3.5 then goes down to 2.25 and stays there as i keep it in cruise.

I noticed the same thing with my car...when it is in 5th it revs lower, and when it's in 4th it revs higher...and I can't figure out why when I'm on the highway sometimes it revs higher than when I'm not in 5th when I'm in 4th and why hasn't someone put an automatically actuated 5th gear or a warning light or bell in the car when I forget why it's revving so high when normally it's not revving so high when I'm on the highway. Sometimes I like the number 3.

My suggestion...take the bus. I'm sure you're also a danger on the road to those around you, even if you think you aren't. You'll also save a lot on gas money and your car will keep its value (and have a full tank longer) and be super low mileage in no time. 10 yrs minimum.

LOL, you are mean..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
i really do hope you are kidding regarding the revs...

and the "issue" with service not getting a hold of you... you called them friday?.... they got the part (who knows at what time) on the tuesday... best to assume end of day for sanity's sake. wednesday was a holiday... so you gave them one day to call you before tracking them down? OH NO!...

i hate when people (in any situation) take their sweet time for something, then when they get around to doing something/making a decision, everything needs to be done NOW!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline nick r.

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: toyota corrolla
and the "issue" with service not getting a hold of you... you called them friday?.... they got the part (who knows at what time) on the tuesday... best to assume end of day for sanity's sake. wednesday was a holiday... so you gave them one day to call you before tracking them down? OH NO!...

lets say the part did come in just before closing on tuesday. Ok wednesday was closed. Then why didnt someone phone me all day long on thursday? It should be their FIRST PRIORITY to immediatley phone a customer once a part comes in needed for repair. If the 1 service desk guy was swamped with duties because the main guy called in sick, it only takes 1 minute to make that phone call or someone else should of made that call. I had to phone them friday at 1100 am to get that info. Its even possible if I never phoned that day, they may of never phoned me that day either if they dont make that their first priority, it may of dragged on further. Like ah said, all customers waiting days and days for a part to come in, their phone numbers should be at the TOP OF THE LIST of priorities. First come first serve. The first thing the gent at the desk should of been looking at first thing in the morning were the invoices of customers(or a list of phone numbers) OF PARTS THAT DID ARRIVE ALREADY and awaiting service like in my case, then he should of phoned me or us immediately 1 by 1, im sure he had many 1 minutes throughout the day to make the 1 minute phone call. The trick to this puzzle is, phone numbers of a part THAT DID IN FACT ARRIVE and waiting there should of been on a TOP page for the desk gent to look at and to make the calls, it is as simple as that.

by the way, im loving my 2013 hyundai accent although not because it kind of became disabled(couldnt go over 60 km 2 times) after running out of gas and then refilling 3 weeks ago and then needed repair. but its running like a charm now, love it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:43:13 pm by nick r. »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
fine that you feel that way... your prerogative of course.

it is also their choice to not call you right away... you didn't prioritize getting it fixed, they didn't prioritize calling you... and another thing people forget... you are not the only customer. cut the staff in half and things are bound to slip through is all i'm saying. don't hang the service department for not making your car a number one priority when you obviously didn't either.