Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 GMC Acadia  (Read 7949 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Test Drive: 2013 GMC Acadia
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 04:05:45 pm »
Is the third row as useable and easy to get into as in a minivan?
id say so, damn easy

I don't agree. When equipped with the 2nd-row bench, as was the Traverse we rented last summer, the folding/sliding seats are cumbersome to manoeuvre, esp. for children, and the high step-in / move around the seat combo is hard to accomplish.

The front buckets are adult-sized (and I'd say American adult - I was lost in there), but the back rows are too low to the floor for adults to be comfy. Trunk is Yaris-sized unless you drop part of the 3rd row.

The lambdas are good as smaller Tahoes, but as minivans, they vaccum.

Oh, and while the Traverse I drove was a fine turnpike cruiser, I was relying on the parking sensors to park that beast. Summer travels netted 12.6 l/100km - I get 8.6 out of the much more spacious Ody.
I was talking about the second row captains chairs, like in the tester. Yes the bench is cumbersome, but why anyone would get it is anyone's guess vs the great seats in the 7 pass config. Yes there are compromises, and the Lambdas are some of the most spacious in the segment. I still say get a V70 or XC70 and be done with it - so much better and there even is a 7 passenger option.

A month later I rented a Flex for a long work-related trip, and what a difference from the driver's seat!  You can park the Ford easily, and the trunk behind the 3rd row is more useful. All seats more comfy for adults. It's also quite enjoyable to drive. Got the same 12.6 l/100km though...
interesting. There is no denying the Flex is a good family truckster...even if I really dont jive with its brick-styling
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
Re: Test Drive: 2013 GMC Acadia
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 08:12:12 pm »

The GMC Acadia proved its worth during a snowstorm, and overall impressed Peter Bleakney with its utility and drivability.

Read More...

Peter,

You allude to the Acadia being a handful when parking, but nothing more. How are the sight lines - being able to determine where the front and back are visually? What aids does GM provide for parking this beast? I'd also be curious how good outward visibility is towards the back. Lastly, one thing that tends to get overlooked regularly is night time visibility - how good are the headlights?

I passed your question on to Peter and he had this to say:

"Two reasons why this vehicle is a handful to park 1) it's huge 2) rear sight lines are impeded by the big D-pillars. It does have a pretty tight turning circle, but where I found it most difficult was in tight indoor parking lots. The rear view camera earned its keep."

He never had a chance to really see the headlights in a proper setting (dark, unlit roads).
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman