Author Topic: Feature: The long distance drive, a journey through time - Part two  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Continuing his drive on the Trans-Canada highway, author Grant Yoxon recalls the kindness of strangers in the early 70s.

Read More...

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
Re: Feature: The long distance drive, a journey through time - Part two
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:30:31 am »
Loved reading this story.  I love to drive solo too, so this reminded me of some of my solos.  When our kids were attending Carleton in Ottawa, did the Wpg-Ottawa and return via north of Lake Superior many times.  I also did that same stretch between Wpg and Sault St Marie in one day and thinking the same thing about moose at night and arriving in SSM just before midnight and the only food to eat was a pre-made sandwich at a Shell station that was just closing up for the night!  Ah yes, fond memories!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:31:54 am »
I loved that story. 

I've done a few solo trips.  Hamilton - Winnipeg a few times, and Winnipeg - New Orleans once.  I love a good road trip.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:04:27 am »
This has been a good read...
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

wcott

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 11:38:03 am »
I've done the drive many times too....however it is a disgrace that the stretch between Winnipeg and Sault Ste. Marie is mostly two-lane, rather than twinned into a four-laner. I realize that the geography of the area would involve some serious money - but it is, after all, the 21st century. Whenever a tractor-trailer or another vehicle has an accident, that highway is closed - sometimes for a day or so, until the mess is cleaned up or the investigation is completed....and there's NO way around. You're stuck. Period. Addition of another lane is becoming critical.
That highway is the TransCanada, and to be relegated to what is basically a cow-path at times is an affront to the residents of the area and Canadian travelers.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:38:42 pm »
I've done the drive many times too....however it is a disgrace that the stretch between Winnipeg and Sault Ste. Marie is mostly two-lane, rather than twinned into a four-laner. I realize that the geography of the area would involve some serious money - but it is, after all, the 21st century. Whenever a tractor-trailer or another vehicle has an accident, that highway is closed - sometimes for a day or so, until the mess is cleaned up or the investigation is completed....and there's NO way around. You're stuck. Period. Addition of another lane is becoming critical.
That highway is the TransCanada, and to be relegated to what is basically a cow-path at times is an affront to the residents of the area and Canadian travelers.

There is not enough traffic to twin the hiway 17 or 11

Offline rcy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:36:12 pm »
Great reading.  Wouldn't you like to do the route again but hitchhike it again instead of drive? 

Sadly, in this day and age, I'm not sure you'd receive the same sort of reception as you did way back then.