Author Topic: Quick Comparison: 2012 Mazda MX-5 vs 2012 Mini Cooper S Roadster  (Read 6401 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Comparison: 2012 Mazda MX-5 vs 2012 Mini Cooper S Roadster
« on: September 19, 2012, 06:05:12 am »

Jonathan Yarkony throws himself on his sword to compare two terribly boring small roadsters.

Read More...

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
Re: Quick Comparison: 2012 Mazda MX-5 vs 2012 Mini Cooper S Roadster
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:46:42 am »
"You see, there’s this little thing that you’re supposed to do with a car, called “driving”. It’s when you use the pedals (all three of them, preferably), the gearshift lever, and steering wheel to make a car go, and preferably go fast. Some people might call it ‘work’ but we call it ‘pleasure’, and many of you, like me, would drive hundreds of kilometres out of our way, then pay extra money on top of the gas bill, just to drive around in circles–or at least interesting shapes with lots of curves that end up in the same place–over and over again."

That is a great paragraph!!!  Well done!

"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:44:45 am »

Jonathan Yarkony throws himself on his sword to compare two terribly boring small roadsters.

Read More...

Is that supposed to be a joke?  I can't think of anything I would rather drive than an MX-5  Better to drive a slower car fast, then a faster car slow....  And then there's the ownership experience, just look at the reliability of the MX-5 compared to....anything!

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:07:04 am »

Read More...

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Yes, it is.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:24:08 am »

Read More...

Is that supposed to be a joke?  I can't think of anything I would rather drive than an MX-5  Better to drive a slower car fast, then a faster car slow....  And then there's the ownership experience, just look at the reliability of the MX-5 compared to....anything!

LOL. Yes, that was sarcasm. Might qualify as irony, too.
I used to work here.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:30:03 am »
..the miata fits me so well.. i wish i had one, but with the used prices as it is in AB(sky high), i would have to get rid of the M to get one.

the Mini,  .. well, that thing is just plain too expensive.  and what's the point of roadster when regular 4 seater convertible looks pretty much the same?
(still like it though, if i had ...uh.. 40k sitting around on a couch somewhere that needed to be spent, i would be inclined)

anyway.
good article.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:52:59 am »
Fun, entertaining article.  :thumbup:

I drove the various Mini trim lines at a BMW event and test drove the Miata (I like to call it Miata  ;D).

I never felt the Mini was that much fun. But I didn't want to take the Miata back to the dealership.

I think it has to do with the RWD, balance and lighter, nimbler feeling of the Miata. And I love the Miata shifter and clutch as well.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:06:43 am »
..the miata fits me so well.. i wish i had one, but with the used prices as it is in AB(sky high), i would have to get rid of the M to get one.

Those are asking prices, and some folks are dreaming and don't want to entertain real offers, but others are.  Patience is a virtue as well.  I contacted a guy asking about $3K over what I thought was a fair price for his car, and he blew me off.  Guess what?  I saw it listed for about $3K under his original price a month later.

One kicker is that once you get older than ~2002 models, you don't save a lot of money going older.  The 1994-97 cars really hold their value (the lighter NA chassis with the 1.8L engine) so a pristine NA8 (the first body with the 1.8L) is going to cost more than one would think given it's age.  Notice I said "pristine."  Condition is king.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 12:03:45 pm »
Damn, you've got one tough job Yarkony.

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 12:51:57 pm »
Do auto journalists make a fairly decent living?  Then I will switch careers.  I would love to be in a position to regularly test cars, any cars, especially cars like these two roadsters.  Must be fun.  I'm jealous.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 12:55:16 pm »
Do auto journalists make a fairly decent living?  Then I will switch careers.  I would love to be in a position to regularly test cars, any cars, especially cars like these two roadsters.  Must be fun.  I'm jealous.

No, most do not.  Many review vehicles as a second job.  If you are ridiculously lucky like Jonathan and I to work for a company as an employee, you can have a decent living; but I guarantee most on this board make more than me.

Many reviewers are freelancers always looking for more work. 

Few hit it big.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 12:58:38 pm »

No, most do not.  Many review vehicles as a second job.  If you are ridiculously lucky like Jonathan and I to work for a company as an employee, you can have a decent living; but I guarantee most on this board make more than me.

Few hit it big.

How about Top Gear Canada, instead of the massive financial backing of the BBC, you can have $100/month from the CBC. Id watch that, Im sick and tired of seeing road tests somewhere tropical! Sure that Aston Martin is great looking, but hows the heater at -38C?? Or the Pagani is one of the best handling cars on the planet, how does she do on an offramp covered with black ice??  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 01:04:38 pm »

Few hit it big.

How about Top Gear Canada, instead of the massive financial backing of the BBC, you can have $100/month from the CBC. Id watch that, Im sick and tired of seeing road tests somewhere tropical! Sure that Aston Martin is great looking, but hows the heater at -38C?? Or the Pagani is one of the best handling cars on the planet, how does she do on an offramp covered with black ice??  ;D

Ummm, we would be testing Mazda CX-5s, Toyota Corollas and Nissan Versas though.  Hmmmm.....let me talk to CBC

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 01:06:33 pm »

Few hit it big.

Ummm, we would be testing Mazda CX-5s, Toyota Corollas and Nissan Versas though.  Hmmmm.....let me talk to CBC

BOOOOORING..... ;D Just kidding, Im sure there would be a much larger percentage of the populace who would find a Corolla road test much more interesting than a Aston Martin Vantage powersliding around a track......not me....but Im sure those weirdos are out there!!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Quick Comparison: 2012 Mazda MX-5 vs 2012 Mini Cooper S Roadster
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 01:23:49 pm »
My missus reads Consumer Reports and fuel economy ratings for auto info when it's shopping time. With CR, it's not even the road test, but just reliability ratings. For the test drive she wants to take it on her daily commute route. When she sees 17" or larger wheels she worries about tire prices.

That said she enjoys driving the Miata, but only for the roofless experience, not the go-cart handling.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 01:26:20 pm »
My missus reads Consumer Reports and fuel economy ratings for auto info when it's shopping time. With CR, it's not even the road test, but just reliability ratings. For the test drive she wants to take it on her daily commute route. When she sees 17" or larger wheels she worries about tire prices.

That said she enjoys driving the Miata, but only for the roofless experience, not the go-cart handling.

My mom is the same way, CR is her bible, doesnt actual care what the car drives like but a red circle from CR equals best car EVER!!!

Offline DrMaustus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2012 MazdaSpeed 3
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 02:26:53 pm »

the Mini,  .. well, that thing is just plain too expensive.  and what's the point of roadster when regular 4 seater convertible looks pretty much the same?
(still like it though, if i had ...uh.. 40k sitting around on a couch somewhere that needed to be spent, i would be inclined)

anyway.
good article.

Actually, the Roadster looks quite a bit different (to my eyes, anyway). It has a more raked windscreen and it doesn't have the silly "pram cover/accordion" look with the roof sitting on the trunk when you have the top open. The Roadster lacks the tiny rear seats, but who really uses those in a convertible anyway?

I'd take the Roadster. I own a Cooper S and I've never driven a Miata, so I'd probably go with another MINI if the single dealership in town wasn't so far away.

That said, RWD really appeals to me with all the accolades being thrown at the BRZ, etc.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 02:29:50 pm »

I can't remember the last time I read a CR road test. They so very seldom agreed with my own impressions of a given car, they just aren't relevant. Since my experience with the Eagle Premier and Jeep YJ, I do pay close attention to their reliability ratings. Recently though, they seem to be conflating reliability ratings with ergonomics, so I'm beginning to wonder how long even those will be useful.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 02:31:50 pm »

I can't remember the last time I read a CR road test. They so very seldom agreed with my own impressions of a given car, they just aren't relevant. Since my experience with the Eagle Premier and Jeep YJ, I do pay close attention to their reliability ratings. Recently though, they seem to be conflating reliability ratings with ergonomics, so I'm beginning to wonder how long even those will be useful.

Ive seen that as well, i dont care if they found the center console armrest comfy, Id care more if they told me that the tranny tends to give out right after the warranty ends.

Offline walk0080

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 MINI factory JCW hatch
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 03:31:13 pm »
I would consider both "sports cars" - irrespective of price or RWD vs. FWD. MINIs can get expensive but if you have the money go for the options list I guess - I mean people pay (or lease) six figure priced cars these days.. You can save a lot by ignoring the leather and GPS options - that is $4000 right there and pick some more personalized cheaper options instead.

I like the Roaster vs. the Coupe version in terms of looks, but I would buy neither. The concept of loosing the roof and rear seats and slower acceleration doesn't work for me.

I probably would not buy a Miata either, but I am not really a convertible guy... well maybe the hardtop/droptop version - that is pretty cool they brought that out a while ago.

I am looking forward to the next-gen Miata - hoping it looks more modern but stays significantly cheaper than the Boxster - my current favorite convertible.

Also FYI - the current BMW run 1st and 2nd gen cars are called "MINI". The pre-BMW ownership cars are referred to as "Mini". ;-)
2012 MINI Factory JCW Eclipse Grey/Chili Red Hardtop, JCW Aero, chrome/black/chili red interior w/ LED lighting, Enkei Imola 17" wheels w/ Hankook Ventus V12, custom reverse camera, various minor mods.