Author Topic: Ford F-150 crash testing results shows big difference between Crew and Extended Cab  (Read 7718 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Large disparity between IIHS crash test results between Ford F-150 variants
Read More...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Omg this is disgusting! I am wondering if other vehicles have the same difference between version e.g. Base model vs fully loaded model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Good reason for people to continue not buying Super Cabs.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
LOL, this is so overblown. The crew cab got perfect ratings in all categories while the extended cab got perfect ratings in all categories but one.

Modern cars are insanely safe compared to even just 10 years ago. There's not much point in fretting over crash ratings these days.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
There's not much point in fretting over crash ratings these days.

Unless you're the IIHS and want to charge an extra premium for the lesser rated truck!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
There's not much point in fretting over crash ratings these days.

Unless you're the IIHS and want to charge an extra premium for the lesser rated truck!

Well, yeah, haha.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
To me, it's indicative of tricksy practices, of which I'm not a fan.

Would it preclude me from buying a Ford?  unlikely...but Snowden-esque news is helpful.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
LOL, this is so overblown. The crew cab got perfect ratings in all categories while the extended cab got perfect ratings in all categories but one.

Modern cars are insanely safe compared to even just 10 years ago. There's not much point in fretting over crash ratings these days.

Like most things, it isn't the actions - it is the lie.

Ford either deliberately allowed a vehicle to be tested that had superior crash resistance than other models. Consider this quote:

Ford spokesperson Mike Levine tells Automobile, “The reason for the difference in equipment is a result of the fact that the protectors require a different design to fit on the SuperCrew versus the SuperCab body. And because the small-overlap test is still new, and the truck’s development was well underway by the time the bars were developed, Ford only was able to outfit the larger-volume SuperCrew with the protective bars with the time available.

So Ford knew that what they were doing would improve the test results, but did not disclose this to the IIHS or the public. They may never have intended on improving their other models as they weren't going to be tested. We will never know.

Yes, they are still very safe vehicles, but Ford's actions in this were really stupid. I just wonder how the GM and Ram trucks will do when the IIHS takes another look...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Ford has been gaming the system a lot lately, not just this but pickup load ratings, hybrid mileage, and now this.

And to rub it in, usually making the inflated ratings the point of a marketing campaign. It's hard to see it as not part of a deliberate pattern.

Unless they get hammered for bullshitting, other makers have not much choice but to pull the same tricks to keep up. Much as GM did with the trucks:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140902/OEM04/140909982/ford-abandons-practice-of-removing-items-to-boost-heavy-duty-pickup

http://blog.caranddriver.com/fords-downgrading-of-c-max-fuel-economy-numbers-seriously-really-has-nothing-to-do-with-lawsuits/

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Ford has been gaming the system a lot lately, not just this but pickup load ratings, hybrid mileage, and now this.

Like when Ford called the F-450 a direct competitor to the Ram 3500 Dually so that they could brag about 'best in class' towing and payload.  Ram took issue with that and basically told them to shove it. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Like when Ford called the F-450 a direct competitor to the Ram 3500 Dually so that they could brag about 'best in class' towing and payload.  Ram took issue with that and basically told them to shove it.

Not sure what the problem is there. Ford is the only one who bothered building a pickup in a class above the typical 350/3500 models.

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4

Like most things, it isn't the actions - it is the lie.

Ford either deliberately allowed a vehicle to be tested that had superior crash resistance than other models. Consider this quote:

Ford spokesperson Mike Levine tells Automobile, “The reason for the difference in equipment is a result of the fact that the protectors require a different design to fit on the SuperCrew versus the SuperCab body. And because the small-overlap test is still new, and the truck’s development was well underway by the time the bars were developed, Ford only was able to outfit the larger-volume SuperCrew with the protective bars with the time available.

So Ford knew that what they were doing would improve the test results, but did not disclose this to the IIHS or the public. They may never have intended on improving their other models as they weren't going to be tested. We will never know.

Yes, they are still very safe vehicles, but Ford's actions in this were really stupid. I just wonder how the GM and Ram trucks will do when the IIHS takes another look...

Was Ford under a duty to disclose that?

To my knowledge, none of the car co's supply the vehicles used in insurance crash testing.  The IIHS instead acquires the vehicles anonymously so as to avoid gaming.  You're implying that Ford should have informed the IIHS that, although the truck configuration chosen by IIHS was not doctored, it is possible that other configurations might yield different test results. 

In other words, even though IIHS chooses which configurations to test, Ford has a positive duty to ensure that they test the least crashworthy configuration possible? 

It should be noted that the IIHS chooses the most popular trim of the vehicle they will test, unless they are aware that different trims have significant differences that could affect the test result. The IIHS doesn't have an unlimited budget and time so they can't go out and buy every single possible trim and variant of a model to test.

More cynically, Ford, knowing that the SuperCrew version is the most popular model of the F-150, elected to add reinforcements to that trim level only, and not the other versions, because they knew that the IIHS and other organizations and agencies would most likely test that particular trim. Now that Ford's been caught and the evidence is clear that there is a difference that affects crash ratings, they are claiming it was the intention all along, and that they were planning to add the reinforcements to other variants in the next model year...

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
These behemoths should be the safest vehicles on the road in terms of crash survival .

It amazes me that major manufacturers are still launching new models that cannot pass the
small overlap test which has now been around for several years.

Finally, when is NHTSA going to catch up with IIHS standards?

IIHS keeps setting the safety bar higher which is leading to better designs that benefit all consumers. 

Imagine how shoddy the safety standards would be if IIHS did not exist to shame manufacturers and the NHSTA
into raising  their game.