Author Topic: Feature: Innovation key to Mazda's SkyActiv technology  (Read 8313 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Innovation key to Mazda's SkyActiv technology
« on: August 09, 2011, 04:02:51 am »
<div style="text-align:left">

Mazda engineers focused on improving existing powertrain technology to reduced fuel consumption and emissions, says Paul Williams.

<a href=http://www.autos.ca/auto-articles/feature-innovation-key-to-mazda%e2%80%99s-skyactive-technology>Read More...</a></div>
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:35:00 am by chrischasescars »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Feature: Innovation key to Mazda's Skyactive technology
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 07:00:15 am »
Okay so Mazda is improving their gas engines, good for them.  But let's all be honest and recognize that the big news is the diesel engines.  Anyone who know's anything about vehicles has been screaming for diesel engines for a long time.  I have to be honest and say that I'm not really a huge fan of Mazda's products.  Their RX-8 has been extremely unreliable, the Tribute needs to die already, both the CX-7 and 9 aren't as good as their competition, the Mazda 2 is a good little car but needs a bit more power and at least a 5 speed tranny, and the 6 is just all around one of the least desireable midsize cars I've test drove.  Now on the other side of the coin is the Mazda 3 which has been a very good sporty compact, the Miata that has been one of the best roadsters ever, and the 5 that is really the only compact mini van in NA.

All of these products would improve significantly with the introduction of diesel engines.  How good would a Mazda 2 be if it have 100 Hp and 160 torque, the best fuel economy (besides the all electric cars of course) of any vehicle, and a modern 6 speed transmission.  I'm just thinking if they can meet or beat the VW TDI's and at the same time offer more reliability, and a little discount compared to the VW then I think they will sell boat loads of these here in Canada. 

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:51:56 am »
A Mexican built Mazda 2 with the Skyactive technology is on its way. The 3 and the diesel CX5 will be here first though. I found the 2 with a 5 spd just fine to drive, the best  4 door small car available

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5121758099/

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:35:23 am »
A Mexican built Mazda 2 with the Skyactive technology is on its way. The 3 and the diesel CX5 will be here first though. I found the 2 with a 5 spd just fine to drive, the best  4 door small car available

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5121758099/

You haven't driven the Honda Fit or new Hyundai Accent then.  I actually think the upcoming Kia Rio hatch back will be best in class.  I find it looks very VW GTI'ish.  Seeing as most of these cars are equipped with an automatic that's really what I was speaking of.  I'm sure the 5 speed manual is just fine for that car.  I really might consider the upcoming Mazda 3 diesel if it's going to keep the Zoom Zoom in the engine and offer amazing fuel economy.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:23:53 am »

Most of us in Canada have heard car manufacturers claiming the release of amazing diesels to come within a year or two, only to find that this never happens. All you have to do is search in Google regarding how many car companies have claimed diesel releases in N.A. i.e.(Mahindra Pickup) years back and the status quo continues on this side of the pond.

If Mazda really wants to do something exciting in a diesel they should do there marketing. The N.A. market is screaming for two diesels in particular, a small pickup and a small Mazda 2 like vehicle. Mini van moms and larger sedan owners are less likely to care or accept diesels in N.A.

Like most Canadians who are sick of having smoke blown up ........ I'll believe it when I see it.

Rob
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Feature: Innovation key to Mazda's SkyActiv technology
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:23:35 am »
If a small pickup with a 4 cyl diesel came to our shores I would pick it up in a heartbeat.  I really can't fathom why we don't have one already.  It's the perfect application for that motor.  High torque and high efficiency...the two things that small pickups are lacking these days.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:14 am »
Mazda will get me back into their showroom by putting a diesel into the 3, 5 or CX5. I'm not expecting any of those things to happen this year or next. Hope I'm wrong.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:51:02 am »
If a small pickup with a 4 cyl diesel came to our shores I would pick it up in a heartbeat.  I really can't fathom why we don't have one already.  It's the perfect application for that motor.  High torque and high efficiency...the two things that small pickups are lacking these days.

That's why its nearly impossible to find an older tacoma with the 4cyl/4wd... people hold on to them for so darn long, then try to sell it for 8k with 400,000km on it.  Ridiculous...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:56:37 am »

Most of us in Canada have heard car manufacturers claiming the release of amazing diesels to come within a year or two, only to find that this never happens. All you have to do is search in Google regarding how many car companies have claimed diesel releases in N.A. i.e.(Mahindra Pickup) years back and the status quo continues on this side of the pond.

If Mazda really wants to do something exciting in a diesel they should do there marketing. The N.A. market is screaming for two diesels in particular, a small pickup and a small Mazda 2 like vehicle. Mini van moms and larger sedan owners are less likely to care or accept diesels in N.A.

Like most Canadians who are sick of having smoke blown up ........ I'll believe it when I see it.

Rob

I will tell you why we have not had one.   The US tax called "the chicken tax"
Imposes a 25% tariff on imported small commercial vehicles. Was imposed by Lyndon Johnston.
 Check the first couple of paragraphs through the link    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Why should we suffer from this in Canada you ask  ?  Because as usual our market is not big enough to support these vehicles without them being sold in the USA as well...and in the USA they are not price competitive.  Note through the link what stupid stuff Ford does to import the Transit Connect.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »
My other car has a 3.5L DOHC  V6, gets about the same fuel economy and has taken me all over the western USA.
It also has lights than follow around corners, auto lights, 6 speaker audio system with hidden antenna and I've been driving it for 10 years

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5588111655/

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 12:39:41 pm »
I have heard about the chicken tax and have a brief idea about it.  I've also read about the Transit woes.  That being said, what is preventing Ford from importing some of its small Diesels from Europe or South America and throwing it in the Ranger (apart from the Ranger being discontinued, of course).  From what little I understand of this chicken tax, motors are exempt.

Maybe Mazda will bring back their B-series pickup (designed by Mazda, of course, since the Ranger will no longer exist) and they'll throw their new SkyActiv Diesel in it.  A fellow can dream, can't he?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 01:23:51 pm »
hey Big AL...i have no control ov'r yer DREAMS..... :shuffle:....
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 04:18:28 pm »
I would buy a manual, diesel Mazda 5 in a second...for 23 k

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 07:16:08 am »

Rob

I will tell you why we have not had one.   The US tax called "the chicken tax"
Imposes a 25% tariff on imported small commercial vehicles. Was imposed by Lyndon Johnston.
 Check the first couple of paragraphs through the link    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

Why should we suffer from this in Canada you ask  ?  Because as usual our market is not big enough to support these vehicles without them being sold in the USA as well...and in the USA they are not price competitive.  Note through the link what stupid stuff Ford does to import the Transit Connect.

That and as long as gas remains so cheap in the US, manufacturers are not likely to certify diesels for Canada only.

When gas hits $5-6./USG and for good, we'll talk chicken...

Offline kirm

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 05:44:01 pm »
"(annual global sales 1.2 million)"

Something wrong with that statement.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 06:30:40 pm »
I just realized I know nothing about vehicles. I've yet to scream for a diesel.....
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 06:37:00 pm »
I just realized I know nothing about vehicles. I've yet to scream for a diesel.....

You and me both.  I think they are GREAT from an economy standpoint and a great alternative to gas hybrids.  But from a driving perspective, most of them had a redline of ~4500 rpm, so they weren't terribly exciting to drive....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 11:05:24 am »
....Hmmmmm......... ::) how many times have Diesels WON LE MANS.......... :P :stick: :think:.....they CAN be all you want...obviously.....

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:56 pm »
....Hmmmmm......... ::) how many times have Diesels WON LE MANS.......... :P :stick: :think:.....they CAN be all you want...obviously.....

But driving for fun on the street is a lot different than trying to do consistent fast laps at Le Mans.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 03:16:37 pm »
 ??? ::) :think:   "do Tell"......swishing aboot at 340KPH is NOT fun......

okay dokey so 240KPH in a diesel ov'e 'ere then..............TAME ??? :bang: :stick: :eye: