Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Subaru Forester  (Read 11426 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Subaru Forester
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:04:20 am »

A stalwart in the compact CUV segment, the Forester is still an impressive vehicle despite its age.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Subaru Forester
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:50:35 am »
It's funny how quickly time goes by. I see one of these on the street and still think "Oh, there's one of those "new" Foresters"  :)...I guess that's a sign that the styling (on the outside at least) is still fairly fresh.

Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:12:03 am »
I too have been a fan of the Forester's styling. I just wish the interior had the quality ramped up a notch and they'd do something about their powertrains. A 4 speed auto is a joke. I wonder if the CVT from the outback would make it any better? With the 6 speed manual from the Outback (and interior touch ups) this would be a great "CUV", not a good one.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:38:56 am »
I too have been a fan of the Forester's styling. I just wish the interior had the quality ramped up a notch and they'd do something about their powertrains. A 4 speed auto is a joke. I wonder if the CVT from the outback would make it any better? With the 6 speed manual from the Outback (and interior touch ups) this would be a great "CUV", not a good one.
Really, the only complaint I've got with the Forester is the 4 speed auto. In that respect, I wish they'd put a 6 speed auto and manual option into it - the CVT seems to have mixed reviews and lacks sportiness in the Impreza all in the name of fuel efficiency. I've got an XT on order to come in at the end of this month. I chose it over the other brands because it is a better overall vehicle and handles much better than the rest. I'll love to see what the next gen brings to the picture.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:53:32 am »
The Forester XT was the runner-up to the Outlander for me. If they had kept the 5spd with the turbo I probably would've got it though. But with the 4spd auto some of the little things like smaller cargo and relatively worse looks (IMO) and higher price were getting more significant.

I wonder why they can't stuff the 5spd auto into the Forester?

I'm one of the few that liked the previous generation design. And although the 2.5 may not sound like the new 2.0, I'd still take the 2.5 for better its better torque. I don't think they could compete with the current 2.0 in the Forester.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:57:00 am »
We are in the market for a CUV, being current older gen Forester owners we did consider the current Forester, but oddly enough found little to thrill us from our current Forester to justify the change. Same engine with some tweaking and same 4 sp auto tranny was not enough to quantify new. We've decided to put off our purchase later this year until the refresh of the Forester or the announcement of a larger engine on the Mazda CX5,  being the strongest competitor for us, with a strong chance of a Skyactive 2.5L coming out (according to local dealer). Unfortunately the Honda CRV just does not do it for us. An ideal Forester would have a (1)stiff body structure (2) New boxer engine with D.I. for starters and (3) 6 speed auto instead of a CVT. I don't favour the rear tapered look of many CUV's sacrificing some style for convenience and utilitarian ( I'd get a sports car if that's what I was looking for)
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12353
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:38:54 am »
Highly functional, not very fashionable.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:45:58 am »

Jaeger

Maybe that should be Subaru's new marketing Slogan?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12353
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:46:52 am »

Jaeger

Maybe that should be Subaru's new marketing Slogan?

As long as I get some royalties....  ;D

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 09:49:29 am »
Had one as a kid hauler for 3 years before upsizing to a minivan.  4 speed could be annoying on the highway, not so bad around city.  0 issues, just changed the oil a few times.   Was so easy to drive, got decent mileage, had best AWD system out there (with auto it's more advanced than manual version).  The best part though was how light it was and the fact that you could actually see out the windows all the way around.  I miss that as much as new designs look cool. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:25:29 am »
i have always like the Forester...were I in the market for a CUV, it would be on my shortlist, perhaps even with a 4 speed auto...i'd prefer more gears, but the 4 speed auto seems to be reliable.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:26:15 pm by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 10:41:07 am »
While the four speed is not a transmission I would like, we are on our fourth Subie and third Forester. Seems that reliability is the key word here with zero issues. That's difficult to ignore in our buying decision and why the other half keeps going back.

Last year with the new engine and adding Bluetooth, the decision to get number four was an easy one. Tough as nails and easy on the wallet and bank account.  Why I'm almost sold to join the club too when needs are less and smaller works. My only fear would be the dumping of a CVT in there and from I have heard, it's going to happen next year.  >:(

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 11:21:25 am »
Good review Mike!  Your FE isn't that far off of what we get with our's.  In the summer months with mostly city driving our's will average around 10.5l/100km's.  That will go up by about 1l during the winter.  In the summer on the highway (a/c on, cruise set to around 115) it will get between 9 and 9.5.  Our '09 has the sohc 2.5 l with the 5 speed manual.  Not sure about the auto, but in 5th at 120 the engine is turning at around 3000rpm.

We will have had our's 4 years this October.  We've had absolutely no issues. 
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 06:57:59 pm »
The Forester is a vehicle that I've always liked and will certainly consider as my next purchase. Good review, too.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 07:00:27 pm »
No more manual available anymore with the convenience pkg?  Booo!!!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 08:26:50 pm »
We are in the market for a CUV, being current older gen Forester owners we did consider the current Forester, but oddly enough found little to thrill us from our current Forester to justify the change. Same engine with some tweaking and same 4 sp auto tranny was not enough to quantify new. We've decided to put off our purchase later this year until the refresh of the Forester or the announcement of a larger engine on the Mazda CX5,  being the strongest competitor for us, with a strong chance of a Skyactive 2.5L coming out (according to local dealer). Unfortunately the Honda CRV just does not do it for us. An ideal Forester would have a (1)stiff body structure (2) New boxer engine with D.I. for starters and (3) 6 speed auto instead of a CVT. I don't favour the rear tapered look of many CUV's sacrificing some style for convenience and utilitarian ( I'd get a sports car if that's what I was looking for)

Interesting - I'd not heard anything about a 2.5 skyactiv. I thought Mazda's strategy was 2.0 for gas, those wanting torque and more power would be served by the 2.2 skyactiv diesel (173bhp, 310lbfeet of torque).

Subaru has a direct injection head now for their B-RZ on the 2.0 litre engine. Hopefully it won't take too long to come across to the rest of their engine range. Imagine the jump in economy for a new Forester if they introduced DI and a 6 speed auto at the same time... I believe the new 2.5 was designed with DI in mind.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 08:37:53 pm »

Interesting - I'd not heard anything about a 2.5 skyactiv. I thought Mazda's strategy was 2.0 for gas, those wanting torque and more power would be served by the 2.2 skyactiv diesel (173bhp, 310lbfeet of torque).

Subaru has a direct injection head now for their B-RZ on the 2.0 litre engine. Hopefully it won't take too long to come across to the rest of their engine range. Imagine the jump in economy for a new Forester if they introduced DI and a 6 speed auto at the same time... I believe the new 2.5 was designed with DI in mind.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 6 speed auto from Subaru. I think they're firmly on the road to CVT's :(

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 10:14:04 pm »
Good review Mike!  Your FE isn't that far off of what we get with our's.  In the summer months with mostly city driving our's will average around 10.5l/100km's.  That will go up by about 1l during the winter.  In the summer on the highway (a/c on, cruise set to around 115) it will get between 9 and 9.5.  Our '09 has the sohc 2.5 l with the 5 speed manual.  Not sure about the auto, but in 5th at 120 the engine is turning at around 3000rpm.

We will have had our's 4 years this October.  We've had absolutely no issues.

I agree, good review.  Hits the good points and shows up some of the now dated issues.  You did forget to mention the manual mode on the AT; that can add an element of fun as well as much better control.  Using the manual mode, if you place it in 2nd, it will "lock" up the split to 50/50 front/rear rather than allowing the computer to vary the power distribution (the range is only 60/40 though).   Also shows just how fast this segment is changing.

I really like the view out, it really makes driving it less stressful than some others that are more form over function.

Fuel economy, with AT tires (and the older SOHC motor) for 1/2 the year and Blizzaks the other half has been averaging around 9.3 combined.  Lows on the highway of high 7/low 8 are not uncommon, especially when driving in the Alberta flatlands  :D  It takes a significant hit at speeds over 110 or so though.

One issue that bugs me, and it is something I have never seen addressed in a review, is Subaru's insistence of putting a space/weight saver tire as the spare.  So if you get a flat (with the AT), you need to make sure both front tires are the regular road ones (ie spare on the back) and disable the AWD.  This is becasue the Subaru AWD system will not allow much difference in wheel speed between the 4 wheels and the spare is about 20% smaller in diameter than the road wheels.  So I run with a full size spare (there is room in the well for one) and therefore do not need to worry about maybe having to do 2 tires changes when getting a flat, or putting the fuse in to disable the AWD.  Considering the size and types of roads in Canada, this seems a bit odd.  A full size spare is standard in other markets, like Australia.

Ours has 93,000 kms since September 2008.  No issues so far.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 12:20:55 am »
My Forester came with a full sized spare, and I too despise that they have changed that.  I chucked the mini-spare in the 'Rolla, and would do the same in any other car we acquire. 

Many of my friends/climbing-partners have 09- Foresters, and some things I like/don't like:

The cargo area is well shaped and maximizes the liters.
The AWD system is amazing.  Drove a Highlander Hybrid with slip/grip a couple weeks ago on a very poor road, and the Subaru system feels 1000x better.
Outward visibility is very good.  This has been true of Foresters since day one.  We sold our OBW and bought a Forester, and that was one major reason.  Gen II is very good.
The rear seat room in the Gen II is good, a big improvement over mine.
Boxer engine with longitudinal driveline has a low center of gravity and feels very planted even with good ground clearance.
The four speed AT lacks ratios, but if you keep cars, it's the choice.  They last.

Not so like:
Ergonomics are a bit of a mish-mash.  I hoped that would be improved on Gen II, but not by much.  Not terrible, but not great either.
No full sized spare.
Interior quality is just okay.
Bluetooth is junky looking.
Not very DIY friendly for service.
Expensive OE parts.

As for engines, I like the aspro 2.5L H-4, but sure wish the excellent 3.6L H-6 with 5AT fit in there.  That's a sweet driveline!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 12:22:11 am »

but sure wish the excellent 3.6L H-6 with 5AT fit in there.  That's a sweet driveline!

Sure is thirsty though!

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...