Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Optima EX Luxury  (Read 8614 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Kia Optima EX Luxury
« on: June 28, 2011, 04:04:32 am »

Formerly the Magentis, the redesigned Optima mid-size sedan is sportier than its corporate sibling, the Hyundai Sonata, says Chris Chase.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Optima EX Luxury
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 06:55:50 am »
"By contrast, the busy D.C.-area beltways are nearly models of orderly driving, except for the locals’ tendency to follow too closely."

That was the Homeland Security boys scoping you Chris.

Yet another first class offering from the Korean twins.  I wonder when they will start innovating and taking chances hitting niche markets like Honda?   Anyway, it's nice to have the cars they are now making on the market.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:13:55 am »
Good review overall, though I found this comment odd:

Quote from: 2011 Kia Optima EX Luxury
This one is based directly on the same platform that underpins the also-new-for-2011 Hyundai Sonata. Despite being corporate relatives and sharing many of the dirty bits that make up both cars, Hyundai and Kia are technically rivals in the marketplace, even if they each go after a slightly different driving demographic. In this case, the Optima is marketed to buyers looking for more sport in their sedan. Beyond the styling – the Kia is racier-looking than the Sonata – the differences are subtle, but they do exist.

I don't find the stylistic differences between Optima and Sonata to be "subtle" at all.  In fact, given the common components and dimensions, I don't know how these two 4-door sedans could look any more different - both inside and out.  Very far removed from the "badge engineering" made famous by.... well.... you know.

Oh, and Chris, it is my sincere wish that you and all auto journalists would excise the hackneyed phrase "the loud pedal" from your collective lexicon.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:30:33 am »
Good review overall, though I found this comment odd:

Quote from: 2011 Kia Optima EX Luxury
This one is based directly on the same platform that underpins the also-new-for-2011 Hyundai Sonata. Despite being corporate relatives and sharing many of the dirty bits that make up both cars, Hyundai and Kia are technically rivals in the marketplace, even if they each go after a slightly different driving demographic. In this case, the Optima is marketed to buyers looking for more sport in their sedan. Beyond the styling – the Kia is racier-looking than the Sonata – the differences are subtle, but they do exist.

I don't find the stylistic differences between Optima and Sonata to be "subtle" at all.  In fact, given the common components and dimensions, I don't know how these two 4-door sedans could look any more different - both inside and out.  Very far removed from the "badge engineering" made famous by.... well.... you know.

Oh, and Chris, it is my sincere wish that you and all auto journalists would excise the hackneyed phrase "the loud pedal" from your collective lexicon.

Jaeger

I don't think the stylistic differences are subtle either, which is why I said the subtleties lie beyond the styling.

I try to avoid overused euphemisms, but they sneak in there from time to time. Thanks for the feedback.
I used to work here.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:45:27 am »
Okay - I misundertood the styling comment.

Jaeger

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:11:06 pm »
To be fair, I could have stated it more simply.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 12:06:22 pm »
I'd say the Optima definitely looks more sporty.  Since it and the Sonata look very different from each other, it doesn't surprise me that some would have a decided preference for one over the other.  I happen to like both quite well.  The Optima unfortunately rubs one of my particular pet peeves: fake, tacky, cheesy, completely non-functional fender vents.  They are not the only maker to add a serving of this particlar brand of fromage - and I don't like it no matter who does it.  And the Cuisinart-style wheels on the top level SX don't do anything for me, either.  But I like the greater range of colours offered versus the Sonata, and the availability of OEM HIDs aswell.

Jaeger

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 06:57:17 pm »
i sure hope you don't watch any Top Gear reviews...you wouldn't be impressed with how much fun they have.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:52:32 pm »

Jaeger

While on the topic, maybe the following could also be studiously avoided:

References to stability control systems as onboard nannies (I don't think Graeme Fletcher does a Motoring review without said reference).

Descriptions of power output as prodigious (another Graeme Fletcher tired favourite).

Any reference to cornering like its on rails.

Any reference to the rear end of a fast car being the view most people will see.

Others?

There will be nothing remaining but the pics and the spec sheets.  ;D
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:26 pm »

Jaeger

References to stability control systems as onboard nannies (I don't think Graeme Fletcher does a Motoring review without said reference).

Descriptions of power output as prodigious (another Graeme Fletcher tired favourite).

Any reference to the rear end of a fast car being the view most people will see.

Others?

:P We're not that bad around here.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 02:03:04 pm »

Jaeger

Others?

:P We're not that bad around here.
You're not that bad at all!  If he's not a fan of Graeme Fletcher's descriptions, maybe he should direct his comments to Graeme Fletcher...   ::)
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

CatsEye68

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »
[You're not that bad at all!  If he's not a fan of Graeme Fletcher's descriptions, maybe he should direct his comments to Graeme Fletcher...   ::)

The comment was an elaboration on an earlier post about overused metaphors, terms and the like in auto journalism. 

Ah yes, the "shifter falls readily to hand" school of journalism. ::)