Author Topic: Saturn vs Wave...  (Read 3276 times)

littlenikki

Saturn vs Wave...
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:39:01 pm »
Managed to get the financing straightened out now it's a choice between a 2005  Saturn Ion  and a 2005 Pontiac Wave.  I got to go bombing around in the parking lot of the dealer, dodging the snow plow in both cars but is there anyone out there who has experience with these cars?  I don't want to walk into either one blind (did that with the GrandAm).  I didn't get a chance to take either one out on the road, a little bit of snow and the salespeople think it's a piece of Royal Daulton.  Which, in anyone's opinion would be the better buy?  Are there any problem areas that pop up in either car?  They both have mileage in the 80,000 to 90,000 range , both have comparable options like air, automatic, power steering, power brakes, locks.  Anyone out there that would like to voice an opinion?  Would there be one that would be worth more if I decided to sell it in 4 years?  I'm finding the consumer reviews on the big sites kind of boring, I would rather listen to the people that actually drive these cars more than a month.

Thanks

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
Re: Saturn vs Wave...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 12:22:53 am »

I dont have direct experience with either car so all I can offer is second hand knowledge but based on a neighbours experience with an Aveo (which is the Waves twin) you couldn't pay me to take one off the lot let alone buy one. By the time he had 50000 km on it it was burning oil, and rattled and buzzed like crazy the last time we went some where and he had the opportunity to use his roadside assistance twice in  in his second year with it. I've known 4 people who have bought Aveos and three hated the car and one who said it was a lousy car but he got it cheap so he could live with it.

Unless the Ion was $10000 more (which is at least $3000 more then its worth here)  I'd take an Ion before a Wave. From everything I've read the Chev Cobalts / Pontiac G5 are buit on the same platform as the Ion but are much more refined over the Ion. Unless the Ion was an amazing deal I would suggest test driving a Cobalt or G5  to compare to the Ion before I would buy any of them.  As an aside personally there is No way I would buy a used car with out test driving it to make sure it drives straight with out pulling or shimmying and doesn't rattle and having it inspected by a mechanic I trusted. The Cobalts are a very good bargain here in rural Southern Ontario and may offer a better long term experience for the same money if prices are similiar there.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.<br />        H. L. Mencken<br />      (1880 - 1956)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:29:13 am »
There are many, many alternatives out there...

Like KRS said, the Cobalt and G5 Pursuit are good used buys for the price...a Hyundai Elantra should be in the same price range too.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:35:33 am »
I had a 2004 Ion 3.  It had 14 warrantee issues in 18 months.  Many items were replaced repeatedly....

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2007/04/12/used-vehicle-review-saturn-ion-2003-2006.htm

Car was washed after every service, so I don't think I spent a $1 on cleaning for the first 24 months.....

In a review in July 2005 of an 'updated' Ion 2 years into it's cycle, the reviewer noted:

Saturn has depended on continuous improvement in an attempt to keep pace with the pack and the Ion is no exception. Saturn claims that since its introduction there have been more than 800 changes in the Ion.    What is left after 800 changes?  That'd constitute a new car launch methinks....

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2005/07/13/test-drive-2005-saturn-ion.htm

Later ones (2005 or 2006?) got a new (old) 4 speed auto replacing the 5 speed auto in the first couple of years of manufacture.  Definitely better options out there....I'd even vote Cobalt / Pursuit-G5.  Hyundai as well - reliability is great and depreciation was too!   

Saturn, if you've not heard - is being terminated as a going concern from GM's lineup. It's future as a standalone is unlikely.

The Wave/Aveo are typically considered 'disposable' vehicles....so you should be prepared to run it into the ground...

Depreciation now is on an accelerated scale...depending on when they were registered (2004 as an '05) they could be up to 5 years old....

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:59:02 am by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!

littlenikki

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:21:49 pm »
Well, it's really down to price, I don't have alot of money to throw down on this car so I want to do it right the first time so to speak.  The 2005 Saturn and the Wave are both in my price range, anything that says Honda on it or is an import seems to be two to three grand more for something a year or two older.  I don't drive around a lot, I would like to get out driving more, I was almost afraid to have the Grand Am break down on me out in the middle of nowhere.  It would be mostly city miles.  I ran the figures for the insurance and the rates are almost identical.  Any other suggestions to look at?  There is a Chevy Optra that popped up online recently as well. 
Thanks

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 03:14:04 pm »
Chevy Optra

Nope.  Another Daewoo.  JUNK.

Stick with your Grand Am.  No less reliable.  Instead of wasting money on sales tax, buy CAA memebership.  Tows 200k km or so.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »
Reliable, city driving, I would suggest an Echo. I have three friends with them now and they all love them.

Offline KRS

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Camaro, 2009 Sierra
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 06:27:56 pm »

for a relatively new (05 or newer) car at a cheaper price, I would look at Cobalts and G5's, Ford Focus's (and no older then 05 on the focus) or the Hyundai Accents or Elantras. All are decent (not perfect but decent) cars that at least around here drop in value fairly quickly. If budget wasn't a killer issue the Toyota Echo or Corolla are excellent but their value stays quite high because of their good reputation.

If your Grand Am hasn't got a specific thing wrong but just makes you worried artic's suggestion of a CAA membership is a very good option, while saving up for a better vehicle later.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 02:25:46 pm »
What is your desired price range?

Offline Zoo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-0
  • Always hungry..
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 HHR, 2007 Yaris, 1981 CB 750 Custom
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 03:02:52 pm »
A friend of mine just ditched his wife's ION. They did not like this car at all. My time spent driving it was non too pleasant when he let me take it out a few times.

I would go to either:
Chevy Cobalt / G5
Hyundai Elantra (very undervalued in the market and a great used car buy).

Surely you can find an Elantra for less than the ION.