Author Topic: Road Trip: 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe XL to New York City  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Road Trip: 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe XL to New York City
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:30:57 am »

Hyundai's mid-size family hauler earns its stripes as a TV production vehicle, surviving rush hour on New York City's busiest streets.

Read More...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Road Trip: 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe XL to New York City
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:14:40 am »
Glad you survived New York, not sure I could.  Good Article.  Although this quote makes me laugh 'Normally when filming on location with a four-man team, we’ll rent a full-size SUV or even a van.  This time, we thought we’d go for something a little more svelte and stylish (not to mention efficient) and loaded our Santa Fe XL’s cargo hold to near max capacity."

I am sure the Santa Fe XL is more stylish than any van.  But efficient, never!  Vans will always be king for that.  For passenger comfort, cargo capacity, fuel efficiency, and price.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:24:02 am »
Glad you survived New York, not sure I could.  Good Article.  Although this quote makes me laugh 'Normally when filming on location with a four-man team, we’ll rent a full-size SUV or even a van.  This time, we thought we’d go for something a little more svelte and stylish (not to mention efficient) and loaded our Santa Fe XL’s cargo hold to near max capacity."

I am sure the Santa Fe XL is more stylish than any van.  But efficient, never!  Vans will always be king for that.  For passenger comfort, cargo capacity, fuel efficiency, and price.

I expect the fuel efficiency would be close to a wash for the XL vs most of the current minivans.  Compared to the Tahoes / Yukons we usually use, the XL was a fuel sipper though.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline MJMontreal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-19
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2013 Elantra GT, 2011 Yaris Previous: 2007 Caliber, 2005 Echo HB, 2003 Kia Rio, 2003 Focus, 2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf Diesel
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:42:00 am »
I spent this past weekend in NYC and I didn't find the driving that scary. Trying to change lanes can be a game of chicken though; you really just have to shove your way in. On three separate occasions we were looking at our map when locals eagerly offered to help us find our way, asked where we were from, etc. I was surprised how friendly they were.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 09:43:43 am »
I spent this past weekend in NYC and I didn't find the driving that scary. Trying to change lanes can be a game of chicken though; you really just have to shove your way in. On three separate occasions we were looking at our map when locals eagerly offered to help us find our way, asked where we were from, etc. I was surprised how friendly they were.

Indeed, parts of the city surprised me.  It was really only the chaos of Manhattan during rush hour that was most trying.  It made Brooklyn seem like a piece of cake by comparison. 

Of course, your name suggests you're in Montreal -- the most lawless and terrifying of all places to drive on earth, no?  ;)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:46:23 am »

I expect the fuel efficiency would be close to a wash for the XL vs most of the current minivans.  Compared to the Tahoes / Yukons we usually use, the XL was a fuel sipper though.

The fuel efficiency would be close to a wash, in the winter, the van would do better, the AWD would kick in more often on these SUVs.  But the other 3 categories, the van wins.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 10:30:33 am »
Some great photos of the Big Apple!

I have the same vehicle except it is a 2013.  What did it cost to reinstall the passenger side mirror that popped out and was it an easy fix?

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 11:11:23 am »
Can't say I'm surprised about the mirror. It was smacked in the parking lot prior to your booking and some of the tabs broke inside the housing. We re-installed the glass in the existing housing given the time constraint, but apparently our quick-fix wasn't sufficient for the mother of all potholes.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Bartholomew

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda CX7 AWD turbo, Honda Accord
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 11:40:36 am »
My wife and I drove Montreal to New York a couple of weeks back (Mazda CX7 AWD turbo) for the Aretha show & "Kinky Boots".

Had the same problem with my voice-activated Garmin and one of my buddies has the same thing going on with his GPS unit, different brand.  We assume it's due to the tall buildings blocking reception or someone needs to send up an astronaut to do adjustments - it isn't only the Hyundai.  Was ok again once we got onto the George Washington bridge on the way out.

Always indicated a couple of blocks away from where we were.  My Rock band in the Sixties (Bartholomew plus Three) with Corky Laing on drums did The Peppermint Lounge when it existed open on 45th Street so am no stranger to the traffic and anyways have enough power with the CX7 to blow-off taxis anytime.   Traffic was not really much worse than it was then - "he who hesitates is lost".
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:44:43 am by Bartholomew »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 12:05:42 pm »
Can't say I'm surprised about the mirror. It was smacked in the parking lot prior to your booking and some of the tabs broke inside the housing. We re-installed the glass in the existing housing given the time constraint, but apparently our quick-fix wasn't sufficient for the mother of all potholes.

Aha!  We thought it was a surprising black mark on the otherwise good build assembly of our vehicle. 

We simply popped it back in each time it dislodged itself.  Never popped out again over the several hundred km drive home, so presumed it wasn't an issue anymore.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 01:16:01 pm »

Aha!  We thought it was a surprising black mark on the otherwise good build assembly of our vehicle. 

We simply popped it back in each time it dislodged itself.  Never popped out again over the several hundred km drive home, so presumed it wasn't an issue anymore.

That's probably my bad. It happened a day before your test and we didn't have a replacement housing painted the correct colour. The technician did his best re-installing it despite the broken tabs, but as noted above, this apparently wasn't sufficient for a major impact. If I thought it was at risk of popping out again I'd have given you a heads up.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 01:47:57 pm »
great article!

love the road trip road tests. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 10:33:28 am »

That's probably my bad. It happened a day before your test and we didn't have a replacement housing painted the correct colour. The technician did his best re-installing it despite the broken tabs, but as noted above, this apparently wasn't sufficient for a major impact. If I thought it was at risk of popping out again I'd have given you a heads up.
Jeff, you may want to note something about this in the main article - I thought, hmm, interesting Hyundai.  Reading on...um, mirror came off, dangling by wires?  Pass.

...if there was pre-existing damage, you likely shouldn't note that the mirror fell off without specifying that the press vehicle was damaged previously, otherwise it damages Hyundai's reputation for build quality that it's been striving so hard to...build (? no pun intended).

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 11:33:58 am »

Jeff, you may want to note something about this in the main article - I thought, hmm, interesting Hyundai.  Reading on...um, mirror came off, dangling by wires?  Pass.

...if there was pre-existing damage, you likely shouldn't note that the mirror fell off without specifying that the press vehicle was damaged previously, otherwise it damages Hyundai's reputation for build quality that it's been striving so hard to...build (? no pun intended).

Fair point - it's been noted. or would that be NoToed? :think:
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT