Author Topic: Inside Story: 2010 Porsche Panamera S  (Read 12930 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Inside Story: 2010 Porsche Panamera S
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:03:36 am »

The four-door Panamera proves that performance and practicality can live a "Hollywood Ever-After" story, says interior reviewer, Michael Clark.  Highlights include a lavishly-appointed cabin and a huge cargo area, but the Panamera's hideaway cupholders are poorly designed, he says.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Inside Story: 2010 Porsche Panamera S
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:09:56 am »
I like the tachometer having pride of place. cue Rupert
I wonder if that nav display right ahead of ones eyes might be a bit distracting if used at night.
Why should a Porsche have cupholders at all I wonder?    Cue hcrv

Can you REALLY buy one with a pink leather interior or is that just the photography?

Apart from the colour it certainly looks better inside than outside IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:11:51 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

David C

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:24:23 pm »
Maybe doors don't, strictly, count as being part of the inside.  But those clever Porsche engineers have done it again.  Did you check out those door checks which will stop the door open at any position, not just at the usual single point one-stop.  Just on the basis of those I'm going to save my surplus change for the next century or two and buy me one of those Panameras.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 02:00:25 pm »
I like the tachometer having pride of place. cue Rupert
I wonder if that nav display right ahead of ones eyes might be a bit distracting if used at night.
Why should a Porsche have cupholders at all I wonder?    Cue hcrv

Can you REALLY buy one with a pink leather interior or is that just the photography?

Apart from the colour it certainly looks better inside than outside IMHO.

Saw my first one in the flesh today. Did not see the interior but I was surprised that it was better looking than I thought. The front end is just fine. Its the rear 1/4 or so that is kinda akward but for the price of a hatch I'd live with it. Certainly alot better to have a decent front end than say an Acura front end. Looks bogger than I thought too.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 02:28:56 pm »
"...interior reviewer..."

Perfect, just what CanadianDriver needs.  :rofl:

Anyways, I am growing to the look of this awkward looking Porsche. I am looking forward to driving impressions.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:40:53 pm by 2hondas »

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:06:12 pm »
Did you check out those door checks which will stop the door open at any position, not just at the usual single point one-stop. 

The 7 Series doors do that too. You don't realize how useful that can be until you drive a car so-equipped.
I used to work here.

HousesZ24

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 08:20:10 pm »
I'm probably going to take a lot of flak for this.
But I really don't see the point of this car. IMO there are too many electronic gadgets to distract the driver, isn't it bad enough with just a cell phone? Besides if you want a fast sedan buy an Audi A8 or BMW 7-series.
A Porsche is a sports car.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:17:06 pm »

You really, really, need to hire a photographer...

;)

Seriously, bring these cars to me!  ;D ;D

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:20:32 pm »
:iagree:
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:22:51 pm »
Bob,

You can tell me to STFU if you want, but this is a serious question.  In that pic with the TVR instrument cluster (or similar things, like a watch face for example) don't you want to try and avoid any glare reflecting in it?  And how do you avoid the glare?  Is there a camera setting?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 09:27:59 pm »
I'm probably going to take a lot of flak for this.
But I really don't see the point of this car. IMO there are too many electronic gadgets to distract the driver, isn't it bad enough with just a cell phone? Besides if you want a fast sedan buy an Audi A8 or BMW 7-series.
A Porsche is a sports car.

Porsche wasn't making enough money selling JUST sports cars to pay for the massive R&D needed to make superb sports cars.  So they also sell a sporty crossover (Cayenne) and a sporty luxury sedan (Panamera) which fund continued 911 and Cayman development.  In turn, the 911 and Cayman give the Cayenne and Panamera the badge cachet that helps bring in buyers at this price point.  It's a symbiotic relationship.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:55 pm »
Just what is the point with this picture?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 09:40:25 pm »
Railton

Doesn't your Porsche have one?

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 10:03:07 pm »

:iagree:  However, they should start by hiring writers.

This particular test isn't bad...at least Michael goes beyond the spec sheet...which is much more than I can say for others.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 10:08:33 pm »
Railton

:rofl2: :rofl2:

That's hilarious!

Bob,

You can tell me to STFU if you want, but this is a serious question.  In that pic with the TVR instrument cluster (or similar things, like a watch face for example) don't you want to try and avoid any glare reflecting in it?  And how do you avoid the glare?  Is there a camera setting?

Yes you are right, I was just learning at that stage. You can sometimes use a polariser, depends on the light angle. Other than that you could use a black flag behind you, that would do the same.  That shoot was at 6am in a car park with the owner standing freezing his nuts off behind me, I didn't have the luxury of lots of time, sometimes you have to make do.  Good point though.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 10:28:08 pm »
I wasn't trying to be critical...was just wondering since I know Sweet FA about photography.  I HAVE been learning about watch faces with anti-glare on them though...(been watch shopping)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 10:37:46 pm »
It seems like it has way too many buttons and devices for simple driving pleasure...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 09:10:39 am »
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378296

BMWs answer to the Panamera is still in concept form - see above link.

I'm not sure why BMW feels it needs to be in every segment that it's competitors are in tho... ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12348
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 09:19:53 am »

:iagree:  However, they should start by hiring writers.

This particular test isn't bad...at least Michael goes beyond the spec sheet...which is much more than I can say for others.

I agree, though I still find these "inside story" articles - which amount to nothing more than a guided tour of the interior - to be largely pointless.  The interior can be covered adequately in a few paragraphs of an overall vehicle review.  A full article devoted solely to cupholders, cubbies, seats and switches, I find painfully boring - even when the interior is as nice as this one (barf-worthy pink leather excepted).

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 11:55:13 am »
"pink" and "In the FLESH" they musta sent him tha Bordellamera EDITION............c'mon fess UP   it is in the CAYENNE TURBO mode....pepper up tha engine sell it fer a CRAZY PRICE............and Execs and rich rednecks will slurp it UP.................Panamera is patricularly UGLY but the ultrarich have shown us how BAD their taste is in women,"Mansions" and "LIFE_STYLES!!!!"................... :banghead: :bang: >:D...in Kars it's the $$$$'s ya PAY that make ya a "PLAYER".............no good showin' up @ the EXEC VIP LOUNGE in a Genesis..........more power to the idiots............ :shuffle:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:57:28 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once