Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Sedan Touring  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
« on: May 27, 2014, 06:30:33 am »

We test drive Honda's 'shiftless' 2014 Civic Sedan to discover whether Honda made the right decision in replacing its five-speed automatic with a new continuously variable transmission.

Read More...

Offline vickenp

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: fit, civic si, protege 5
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:08:37 am »
So what is the HDMI port for? Laptop out to show on your civic's screen?

I'll say it over and over again....I need a hatchback 5door please...just look at the civic uk's offereing

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:22:22 pm »
I had the same press car for a week recently. The Kona (brown) colour suits the Civic pretty well.

Few details not mentioned in the article:

- the Touring's leather is luxury-car fragrent, no other compact has leather that looks or smells like this - the cabin alone is worth the upgrade to Touring;
- around town in snow, like for most Hondas, turn off the traction control as the car won't allow required wheelspin in deep snow with it on (and the car had Blizzaks during my time with it);
- beware of convex surfaces like speedbumps and track crossings - the front struts lack travel and the wheels bang down very loudly;
- tested nav and it was spot-on;
- sweeeeet seat heaters;
- bi-level dash allows smaller diameter, thick-rim steering wheel - me like;
- climate-control knobs feel smooth and expensive;
- could use more sound proofing at speed (or maybe is was the Blizzak + concrete slab highway combo in my commute).

Some may (will) complain about the price of the Civic Touring. We had this Civic in a 12-car compact comparo, and it was 3rd cheapest after Corolla and Sentra (all three were pretty close in price as-tested).

The CVT was definitely smoother at low speeds than Honda's 5-speed slushie. Small engines and automatics make for awkward moves at times, and the CVT smoothes these out. I didn't mind the CVT during my time with the car.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:14:16 pm by Blueprint »
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist