Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Dodge Dart  (Read 18974 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Dodge Dart
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:05:37 am »

Chrysler aims to take a bigger share of the growing compact car market with the impressive Dodge Dart.

Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: First Drive: 2013 Dodge Dart
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:36:44 am »
A very favourable write up of an important car for Chrysler. There will be so many of them on the streets within a year or two that they will become like the Neon, just another inexpensive and pleasant looking mid sized car. It will raise the stanard of what is to be expected. First time I have heard of the The Dodge Dart “AERO”

I look forward to driving one

Given it's heritage it has to be red 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/6899047358/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/6897345658/

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 05:25:05 am »
How much Alfa DNA does this actually have? I didn't realize the size was so different from the Giulietta.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:47:49 am »
Longer wider and no longer a hatchback.   From the article I get a strong impression that it doesn't sound like an Alfa either.

And it doesn't look like one, pics are a 2011 Giulietta   Why not just bring in the real thing? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:49:25 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:07:03 am »
Based on all the reviews I have read about this new Dart I think the engine to have has to be that 1.4L turbo.  It is surprising just how good this vehicle sounds compared to all the other cars that Dodge has put out over the past 10 years.  If all this is true then I think we have an early favorite for AJAC car awards and possibly car of year awards.  Now those are all good and great for ad's but what needs to be proven is if Chrysler has done enough work in their products to make them at least average in the reliability category.

Personally I don't think I would buy this until it was proven to be reliable, which by the time we have enough info to determine that they'll be making the second generation.  I have to give Chrysler and Fiat praise for trying to make this company profitable and relevant as quick as possible.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:25:45 am »
Based on all the reviews I have read about this new Dart I think the engine to have has to be that 1.4L turbo.  It is surprising just how good this vehicle sounds compared to all the other cars that Dodge has put out over the past 10 years.  If all this is true then I think we have an early favorite for AJAC car awards and possibly car of year awards.  Now those are all good and great for ad's but what needs to be proven is if Chrysler has done enough work in their products to make them at least average in the reliability category.

Personally I don't think I would buy this until it was proven to be reliable, which by the time we have enough info to determine that they'll be making the second generation.  I have to give Chrysler and Fiat praise for trying to make this company profitable and relevant as quick as possible.

I agree......lets see down the road just how reliable this "new" Dart will be.
It does have alot going for it......giving it  :thumbup:....for now.    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:05:26 am »
The review mentions a compact that feels like a mid-size.  When looking at the pictures of the rear seat room, it's looks like a compact to me.  And I guess we will see in a test drive, but I wonder what the trunk room is compared to other compacts.  If the car is successful, for an increased market share, they would be wise to offer the hatch down the road, like the upcoming Elantra, or just like the Forte, offers sedan, hatch, and coupe! 

I give them praise on offering 3 different engine choices, but the power ratings don't seem too different, I think to improve cost cutting, eliminate the least used engine.  Perhaps the 2.0L, stick with the 1.4L and 2.4L, as the 1.4L has more power and fuel economy than the 2.0L, why keep the 2.0L?

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:27:27 am »
I really liked the first images released, but now the SE models just look... plain. I think it's the RallyE version, or whatever it's called, that really looks sharp. Going with darkened accents rather than Chrome. It looks slightly aggressive and focus; the front end of the SE just looks like a sharper Neon... The back-end's good on all of them though, they did a great job there.<p>

I feel they should ditch the 2.4. The 2.0 is a fine naturally aspirited entry and the 1.4 turbo is a cracking engine. The next step up, and to be worthy of the RT tag, should be a detuned version of their 1.75 biturbo, it produces ~230bhp in an Alfa, bring it over in two states of tune: a 190bhp for a rapid compact car, then the full-fat 230bhp as a properly fast car. 251lb of torque too. The engine's about the same weight as the 2.4 and the extra torque low down would really make a difference.

This is the first Dodge I'd buy in a long time; though the new 300s not too bad. If they can be persuaded to make a good looking station wagon version I'll be first in line...

Offline sweetadad

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 09:14:36 am »
Is it just me or does the interior look cheap ? Reminds me of my 1996 Pontiac grand pix . Agreed the screen is good, but the rest all looks blah.

Offline Boff

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-9
  • Swervedriver
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Ford Mustang GT 6MT (mine); 2016 BMW X1 (better half's)
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:57 am »
Very intrigued by this car...I've seen several around here with manufacturer plates. It looks terrific on the road. I'm especially excited about the configurability of this car: Rallye in black with 1.4 Turbo, 6-speed, cloth seats, touchscreen, and 506W stereo for me, please. But I hope the TFT gauges are available on the Rallye, because there is no way i could buy a car with an illegible speedo like this one:

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 09:20:14 am »
Chrysler had the worse compact cars of all manufacturers on North America. Their dead Neon was the last in any compact car rating and the other weirdo Caliber is disfunctional after just one manufacturing cycle. This one here is ugly looking from behind with these typical American back lights. There isn't a hatch and if the mechanics is with Fiat reliabilty sales gona be far from the target numbers.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 09:58:58 am »
i have been waiting for a Dart review and here it is...thank you.

the model that intrigues me is the Limited model (which doesn't appear to be available until the fall)...had it been around before i bought my Rio5, i would taken a serious look at it...i like the Civic Si, but wanted an automatic transmission...price wise, the loaded up Dart appears to slot between the Si and my Rio5.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:01:16 am »
No kidding, that is ridiculous.

Policeman: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Me: "Hell no, look at my speedometer."
i'm not sure what is so hard to see about it...60mph (about 100 km/hr) is straight up at 12 o'clock, which is its rough position on about 95% of the cars out there...besides, i rarely look my speedometer as i can often gauge my speed based on the surroundings, noise and other traffic.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 10:06:46 am »

I'm not overly concerned with that, in NA we have seen reliable become not so reliable, decontenting, safety issues etc etc.  I'm at the point when I look out there I would just get what pleases me.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 10:21:21 am »
I'm not overly concerned with that, in NA we have seen reliable become not so reliable, decontenting, safety issues etc etc.  I'm at the point when I look out there I would just get what pleases me.
good point...while i would have a hard time convincing myself to be a Chrysler product, from what i have seen of the top trim Dart, this might have been a vehicle to push me over to the dark side.

that said, 10 years ago, i wouldn't have considered owning a Hyundai or Kia vehicle, and now i own one of each. ;D

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 10:29:29 am »
Could this finally be the car that puts a shine on Chrysler's small car division ?

I like the rear but the front end.....well looks like a Chrysler minivan shrinked. I understand a car company wanting to maintain a company look, but I for one am ready for a new look for a new car. I guess the Alfa would be cost prohibitive to bring over, to bad because it has such distinctive and stylish look.

Look forward to a hatchback version of this based on the hatch Alfa Romeo Giulietta, when and if !!
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 10:35:11 am »
Longer wider and no longer a hatchback.   From the article I get a strong impression that it doesn't sound like an Alfa either.

And it doesn't look like one, pics are a 2011 Giulietta   Why not just bring in the real thing?

What a beautiful car....they should have just brought that with a couple of Chrysler or Dodge badges, I do not like the way the Dart looks at all.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 10:49:22 am »
Too bad we couldn't have gotten the Italian version - smaller with a hatch.  However the overall package certainly looks like a winner and a threat to buyers of US cars.

I'm sure Chrysler will take more business from Ford and GM in the first year than The Japanese and Koreans where conquest sales will take more time.

Am doing some checking on the size and weight of the Dart compared to the competition and the typical midsize car.  I hope it is not another case of the GM type marketing to produce a large car with a small nameplate and then everyone wonders why the real world fuel efficiency is not there.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 11:00:11 am »
I prefer the blackened front end version of the dart:

Octopus Eye

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 11:04:14 am »

What a beautiful car....they should have just brought that with a couple of Chrysler or Dodge badges, I do not like the way the Dart looks at all.

+1

This vs the Giulietta is like taking a hot girl, get her to not brush her teeth or wash her hair for a week, hand her a whopper and then watch her let one rip. Why do they need to bastardize a perfectly fine design? I dunno. I thought we "get" the Italian design. Unfortunately, Chrysler thinks otherwise.