Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport hatchback  (Read 9710 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport hatchback
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:05:12 am »

A smaller engine and a new CVT promise better fuel economy, but there are some trade-offs, says Chris Chase.

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport hatchback
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:35:10 am »
It's too bad that the improvements here and there are diminished by the powertrain combo. At least they kept the manual across the board but if nobody buys them, that might be next on the chopping block  :(

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:54:21 am »
It's too bad that the improvements here and there are diminished by the powertrain combo. At least they kept the manual across the board but if nobody buys them, that might be next on the chopping block  :(

Yup, and the manual seems to improve fuel consumption as well.  I usually get worse mileage in vehicles than James or Chris, but I averaged 9.0 L/100 km in a week with an identical dark gray hatchback sport albeit with a 5-speed manual.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:04:46 am »
It sounds like the 2012 Impreza would benefit from the BRZ FA 2.0 engine and tranny options. These seem to be weak points as mentioned in the article.
Maybe the addition of DI in this new FB engine or diesel option might add the vigor that seems to have been lost with the drop of displacement from 2.5 to 2.0 liter. I'll take tighter more confident handling over straight line comfort anytime. If you want that stick with the Corolla. Subaru should stay true to the tighter feel that's expected by there buyers.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:20:27 am »
It sounds like the 2012 Impreza would benefit from the BRZ FA 2.0 engine and tranny options. These seem to be weak points as mentioned in the article.
Maybe the addition of DI in this new FB engine or diesel option might add the vigor that seems to have been lost with the drop of displacement from 2.5 to 2.0 liter. I'll take tighter more confident handling over straight line comfort anytime. If you want that stick with the Corolla. Subaru should stay true to the tighter feel that's expected by there buyers.

I believe the BRZ engine is not compatible with Subaru's AWD systems.  It is 87 mm shorter than the 2.0L Boxer found in this car (more on the BRZ in a preview article next week).

I think putting DI into the FB makes more sense.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:33:35 am »
A colleague of mine bought a 2.0 Sport Hatch for his daughter to go to university in. I had an opportunity to have a quick spin in it and left unimpressed as I was comparing it to my wife's 2007 2.5i wagon. For me the drop in HP is not worth to fuel savings and if Subaru want's to get in the econobox scene then just offer a model with 2WD and be done with it.

I can understand why Subaru wants to get into the market but the challenge of keeping the awesome AWD system may prove to be impossible to overcome. However i'm looking forward to the dedicated WRX and STi platform in 2013/14. You just know it will be going in the opposite direction and I'm sure the cost as well.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:26:57 am »
I agree with Snowy - if you want to compete on fuel economy just offer a FWD only version and be done with it. Subaru's KNOWN for its AWD system and it being standard across the board. They should be marketing to that as a strength as they have in the past (with seemingly pretty good success I might add). It really is a shame that they've sacrificed SO much power in an attempt to get the fuel economy under control. I can't think of another vehicle whose redesign has cost it - what - a full 2 seconds 0-60? Thats just unacceptable - even more so the CVT which sounds like a complete disaster. I'd love to know how much fuel they're saving with that CVT. Nissan is the only other manf that I can think of thats gone whole hog into the CVT world and that was what - 3-5 years ago?! Nobody else has followed suit - in fact most are coming out with 6,7 and even 8 speed autos. Makes you wonder....
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 12:11:34 pm »
 ??? CVT transmissions !! Can anyone explain to me why I should consider owning a vehicle equiped with one ?

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:25:55 pm »
??? CVT transmissions !! Can anyone explain to me why I should consider owning a vehicle equiped with one ?

Well, like I said the argument is that they're more efficient and I would suspect technically "faster" as well considering there's no switching of cogs and the vehicle stays at top RPM all the time vs having to rev through the full range of the motor.

Like I said above though if its so great why hasn't everyone moved to this technology?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:29:37 pm »
The one thing I noticed and didn't mention in my article was the lack of "gliding" range for lack of a better word.

I get off the highway at 120km/h, hit the cancel cruise button and cruise until I get to the stop sign at the end of the ramp.  In the Impreza the speed dropped like a brick, I'd be going 60 in no time and have to accelerate to the stop.  In the Mazda yesterday I was still going 80 before I needed to brake for the same stop!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:32:44 pm »
The one thing I noticed and didn't mention in my article was the lack of "gliding" range for lack of a better word.

I get off the highway at 120km/h, hit the cancel cruise button and cruise until I get to the stop sign at the end of the ramp.  In the Impreza the speed dropped like a brick, I'd be going 60 in no time and have to accelerate to the stop.  In the Mazda yesterday I was still going 80 before I needed to brake for the same stop!

The term would be high rolling resistance  :). My guess is the CVT must be adding resistance in the driveline.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »

The term would be high rolling resistance  :). My guess is the CVT must be adding resistance in the driveline.

Doesn't rolling resistance have to do with tires? Slowing down quicker when not under power is a matter of gear ratios. My car revvs high even in top gear and my speed plummets when I let off the gas. My wife's SUV, which turns over at half the RPM's on the highway, will cruise forever.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 01:54:40 pm »

I find this in my manual geared WRX.  I always thought it had more to do with the resistance from the all-wheel drive system

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 02:12:46 pm »

I find this in my manual geared WRX.  I always thought it had more to do with the resistance from the all-wheel drive system

For sure the AWD system adds mechanical resistance but the addition of the CVT could increase it.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »
 ??? Didn't James Bergeron just do a 4 day review on the same Subie last week?
Why didn't you do this test with a real driver's transmission instead of the crappy CVT  ??? veery interesting

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 03:27:34 pm »
??? Didn't James Bergeron just do a 4 day review on the same Subie last week?
Why didn't you do this test with a real driver's transmission instead of the crappy CVT  ??? veery interesting

It was most likely the only one in Ottawa at the time.  If you would like to read about the 5 speed, I tested it here.  Click away at the pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150529043397277.388884.8673837276&type=3

Offline mik101

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:01 pm »

Doesn't rolling resistance have to do with tires? Slowing down quicker when not under power is a matter of gear ratios. My car revvs high even in top gear and my speed plummets when I let off the gas. My wife's SUV, which turns over at half the RPM's on the highway, will cruise forever.

The term you're looking for is engine-braking.
Obviously in a manual you will always be engine braking if the clutch pedal isn't pressed. Well the same applies to an automatic or cvt, if they have a torque converter rather than a manual clutch (some CVT/ATs now have a computer controlled clutch instead) then they can unlock and free wheel while the car decelerates. Hence the rpm drop is not purportional to the speed drop of vehicle versus how it feels in a manual. Obviously similar can be achieved in a manual by pressing the clutch and coasting but that completely disconnects the engine from the transmission. That really doesn't quite happen with a torque converter (atleast partial breaking all the time when in gear due to the fluid being pumped in the torque converter).

Subaru needs to decide if they want to stick with the AWD for all philosophy or just release a few 2WD models for the most fuel conscious customers. I really don't see how it would help them that much. I don't think anyone would stop buying Subaru just because ALL of the cars weren't AWD. If they want AWD, it's available on all the cars.
Cheers guys.

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 08:27:05 pm »
Moral of the story?  Buy a stick!  ;D

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 11:16:45 am »
Moral of the story?  Buy a stick!  ;D
:iagree:  I couldn't agree more!!!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 11:31:26 am »
HIT ME with a STICK..............I bet many an INFORMED buyer...(wot10%)......would have "resistance" to the CVT..get me 4% better mileage you engineers!!!!.....damn the customers......full (SLOW) speed ahead Captains of Industry (CAFE cough cough mandates)..............seems to me ONLY NIssan makes a Half decent CVT......and that half doesn't interest ME................... :-\ :'(..nice lookin' cars tho'....

Time is to stop everything happening at once