Author Topic: The `Slade  (Read 41252 times)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: The `Slade
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2016, 09:15:07 am »
 ??? ::)   is it pronounced Sla-Day   now :stick: >:D .
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2016, 08:08:24 am »
Wheels balanced (no charge), took it out on the highway last night and it's cruising nice and smooth. Thank Christ.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2016, 11:37:37 am »
That's good to know. Beautiful job on cleaning inside and out. 

I lost my appetite after seeing the 'before' pics.  :P

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2016, 10:59:59 pm »
Turned 5000km since we purchased this today, so I figured I'd post a little update.

First, and most importantly, the wife still loves it....and I don't hate it.

Took forever to get through paint correction, but I did it.....Never again though :)

The first issue we ran into was a leaking right rear tire, it didn't seem to like taking in air when I'd fill it, took 3-5 minutes to add like 5 lbs. Took it to my local CT, the tpms (which is apparently integrated into the valve stem) was leaking. $60 for a new TPMS, no labor charge (guess the service manager figured he'd be nice to a corporate guy...)

The rear wiper wasn't working when we bought it, so I spent a couple hours playing with the wiring, eventually felt pretty confident that the wiring was good and that it had to be the motor. Ordered a new motor ($200), installed it and it worked, but slowly. More wiring diagnostics turned up a weak ground, added a supplementary ground and it's working well now. Replaced all 3 blades on the truck with new Bosch units (freebie!)

Headlight assemblies are faded, and one is cracked, so I ordered two new replacements ($170 + plus $280 credit I had with a supplier). They've arrived, but I haven't installed them yet. Ordered some LED DRLs ($20) to replace the yellowish halogen bulbs, we'll see how that goes...(factory headlight are HID/Xenon so I won't mess with them).

The A/C belt was looking pretty sketchy, so I got some new belts ($50) and replaced both the big serpentine and the small A/C belt. Easiet job ever, and now I have confidence that they won't snap out on the highway. Here's the old A/C belt....Pretty sure it was original to the truck:

One issue that's still waiting on parts to come in before I can fix it is the Rear HVAC controls. One day it started blowing hot (like heater hot) air at some rear passengers. At first I thought they (my mom, wife and brother) were just too dull to figure out the controls (we were coming back from family evening out), but the next day some (sober) friends had the same issue. I diagnosed as a broken blend door actuator on the rear system - a new one is on it's way (freebie, again!) and it looks like a relatively simple install. 

Front axle seals are leaking, very common issue on all GM trucks on this platform. I am not going to tackle myself since a press is required for one side, so it'll go into the shop when my mechanic returns from vacation in 2-weeks.

Lastly, just this week a rear A/C line sprung a leak where it goes through one of the brackets...The bracket just rubbed through the metal line. Since the rest of the line looks mint and access isn't too bad, it's probably something that can be spliced rather than replacing the whole line. Either way, I've had my fill of A/C work this summer, so it'll get done at the shop along with the axle seals.

That probably sounds bad to some of you, but this type of stuff is expected when buying a 10 year old high mileage vehicle, so I am not surprised or annoyed really. In my general experience, you spend the first 3-6 months sorting out little issues like this, after that it's pretty solid....Looking forward to that with this one :)

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2016, 11:51:07 pm »
These trucks are so predictable lol. I had the same issues with the 01 Denali we had (years ago) and the 06 Suburban we owned for many years. Exact same...rear blend door, front diff seals, and the rear a/c lines. I REALLY cheaped out when the a/c line rubbed through, GM quoted me $1,100 for a new set of lines from the front to rear. I tried a set from a wreckers (had holes elsewhere all that labor for nothing) and basically gave up. I cut the lines at the front and welded the line shut. I had front a/c but nothing for the rear. Went the entire summer and the kids never got hot once!

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2016, 11:53:43 pm »
It's what I like about truck platforms (though they aren't really for me)....robust and generally easy to fix.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2016, 08:06:54 am »
No kids (yet), but I am always in a time crunch, that's just life. I'd rather spend a couple hours a month wrenching that have to make a payment. Plus, there's a good feeling I get driving something that I've fixed. Driving older vehicles has always been normal in my family (to this day my mom has never owned a car newer than 1980), so repairing stuff feels totally normal.

Rev, I considered going front AC only, the front blower motor is more than powerful enough to cool the entire truck; but the idea of something not working like it should bugs me something fierce. Looks like I can get a new line for $300, but since it's only one hole I think I'd prefer to splice with the $50 Dorman kit.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2016, 08:38:00 am »
That probably sounds bad to some of you, but this type of stuff is expected when buying a 10 year old high mileage vehicle, so I am not surprised or annoyed really. In my general experience, you spend the first 3-6 months sorting out little issues like this, after that it's pretty solid....Looking forward to that with this one :)

Indeed sounds like a lot to me!

You guys evidently do not have children? 

I just would not have the luxury of time to attend to those gremlins.  And when you feel constantly pressed for time, it would be a frustrating experience.

But I admire your ingenuity.

My sentiments exactly - and one of the reasons I have yet to take the used plunge - no way I have time to fuss with a bunch of stuff.  But Firm does and is clearly capable of taking on a lot of the smaller stuff himself.  If he had to go to the dealer for everything, as most do, Ka-CHING! $$$
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 09:24:39 am »

I just would not have the luxury of time to attend to those gremlins.  And when you feel constantly pressed for time, it would be a frustrating experience.

I have kids.  I still find some time, but not nearly as much as in the past to wrench.  I have so many things to do on my 300ZX this winter.  Coilovers, stereo, interior noise reduction, helmholtz resonators, Quaife LSD, possibly subframe and suspension bushings... Yikes!  It's a little different though when it's the summer toy versus the daily driver.  I can afford a whole winter long worth of downtime on it.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2016, 09:35:00 am »

My sentiments exactly - and one of the reasons I have yet to take the used plunge - no way I have time to fuss with a bunch of stuff.  But Firm does and is clearly capable of taking on a lot of the smaller stuff himself.  If he had to go to the dealer for everything, as most do, Ka-CHING! $$$

True...but there are degrees to used car purchases.  10+ yrs old with 225k on the odo is a different beast than, say, a typical 3-5 yr old <100k used purchase.   The latter can usually be purchased relatively trouble free.

Clearly in Firm's case he's a) skilled at this stuff and b) enjoys it.

Plus, there's a good feeling I get driving something that I've fixed.

Absolutely.   But in my case, I'd likely be in a fiery wreck if I trusted myself with repairs.   

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2016, 11:24:50 am »
^^This^^

I have a persistent habit of breaking things I am trying to fix.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2016, 07:16:26 pm »
I agree about the time factor, it's a killer between the kids, house, work, etc... I'm bringing back a bunch of parts for my Porsche now from Myrtle Beach (had them all delivered to the condo we rented) & I'm already thinking about when I'll have time to install them all :S

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2016, 11:31:19 pm »
Time is always a factor, although I can see how it would get worse with kids. I just plan my weeks, day by day, and do my best to allow some time to work on the cars. I do sorta enjoy this stuff....I mean, it's not like I wake up excited to fix broken cars, but I can think of a lot worse things to do....and a lot of better things too.

Anyway, got the new headlights in this beat today. HUGE difference in the overall look, and a significant improvement in light output.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2016, 12:16:25 am »
Between my house, my cottage, my ATV and work I'd have a very hard time finding time to fix my vehicles...if I had all the issues you listed I'd be getting ready to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2016, 08:53:18 am »
I seem to be doing something wrong......... ??? ...

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2016, 09:36:13 am »
Anyway, got the new headlights in this beat today. HUGE difference in the overall look, and a significant improvement in light output.

Looks great! New headlights do make a tremendous difference in appearance.  :thumbup:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2016, 03:32:53 pm »
Escalade looks awesome man, those headlights really cleaned up the front end.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2016, 03:41:45 pm »
Lookin' good Firm. Yellow and cloudy headlights really bother me and makes the car look really aged and neglected.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2016, 04:07:24 pm »
Thanks guys :) Yeah, yellow and cloudy lights really ruin the looks of a car. Normally those polishing kits (the drill ones) do a pretty good job, but the headlights on this were beyond saving

Between my house, my cottage, my ATV and work I'd have a very hard time finding time to fix my vehicles...if I had all the issues you listed I'd be getting ready to get rid of it.

I bought this truck fully expecting to have these kind of issues to deal with....I'd have to be insane or really stupid to expect to buy a used 10 year old truck with 225k and not have a few initial issues. This is the normal process for me....buy some old junk cheap; repair/replace everything that's broken or worn over the course of a few months, then drive problem (and debt!) free for years. Every car in my fleet went through the same thing.

As far as time goes; I am not exactly sitting around doing nothing. I have 1 fulltime and very demanding job with a 3 hour round trip commute, a part-time side gig (car reviews with DoubleClutch), a house, 7 cars and a second house (technically my grandmothers, but I maintain the house/property in exchange for use of the garage) to maintain. I am a pretty bad workaholic though. During the week I'll typically get home around 6:30-7, eat dinner and then work on something (cars, house or work related stuff) until 9:30-10pm. On weekends I am usually out of bed and on the tools by 8am...Usually work right through until 7ish in the evening, then maybe do something fun....That's pretty true for any day that  I am not at work, unless we have specific plans to go out/do something away from the house. Basically, if I am at home, I am working....Some people don't get it, but I get really frustrated/bored just "relaxing". I didn't realize it until I moved in with the wife and noticed that she'll happily spend 3-4 hours on a Sunday watching TV, tanning, sitting the huttub, basically doing nothing.....I could never do that; but I totally get that some people need the downtime.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2016, 09:01:39 pm »
Thanks guys :) Yeah, yellow and cloudy lights really ruin the looks of a car. Normally those polishing kits (the drill ones) do a pretty good job, but the headlights on this were beyond saving

I bought this truck fully expecting to have these kind of issues to deal with....I'd have to be insane or really stupid to expect to buy a used 10 year old truck with 225k and not have a few initial issues. This is the normal process for me....buy some old junk cheap; repair/replace everything that's broken or worn over the course of a few months, then drive problem (and debt!) free for years. Every car in my fleet went through the same thing.

As far as time goes; I am not exactly sitting around doing nothing. I have 1 fulltime and very demanding job with a 3 hour round trip commute, a part-time side gig (car reviews with DoubleClutch), a house, 7 cars and a second house (technically my grandmothers, but I maintain the house/property in exchange for use of the garage) to maintain. I am a pretty bad workaholic though. During the week I'll typically get home around 6:30-7, eat dinner and then work on something (cars, house or work related stuff) until 9:30-10pm. On weekends I am usually out of bed and on the tools by 8am...Usually work right through until 7ish in the evening, then maybe do something fun....That's pretty true for any day that  I am not at work, unless we have specific plans to go out/do something away from the house. Basically, if I am at home, I am working....Some people don't get it, but I get really frustrated/bored just "relaxing". I didn't realize it until I moved in with the wife and noticed that she'll happily spend 3-4 hours on a Sunday watching TV, tanning, sitting the huttub, basically doing nothing.....I could never do that; but I totally get that some people need the downtime.
I was the same way.  Then I had kids.  It's only on the odd occasion that I can sit.  Otherwise, I find tinkering relaxing and fun.  I get bored sitting around.