Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Corolla LE  (Read 14582 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Corolla LE
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:08:56 am »

The 2010 Corolla in LE trim includes many standard features that aren't offered in many much more expensive vehicles, says reviewer Haney Louka, including automatic climate control, push-button start, alloy wheels, and fog lights - all for an MSRP of $21,165.

Read More...

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
Re: Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:29:02 am »
Why didn't they keep their fake wood trim and substitute a rear seat armrest?  Ya dropped the ball there Toyota.  We didn't get past the "peering thru the windows" stage on the dealership parking lot.
Dopelar Effect - "The tendency of stupid people to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly."

CatsEye68

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:25:51 am »
Interesting commentary on the overpricing of the Highlander vis-a-vis what you get. What Toyota is asking for those given the equipment level is simply obscene.

JPD15

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:31:30 am »
I don't understand the love affair with push-button ignition. Have we become too lazy to insert a key and twist???

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:34:51 am »
Was this a review of the Corolla or of the Highlander Hybrid?  It seemed to spend more time dwelling on the lack of features at the price of the Highlander than actually reviewing the Corolla.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:38:26 am »
I don't understand the love affair with push-button ignition. Have we become too lazy to insert a key and twist???

If you have a vehicle with "automated locking/starting" (known as "Comfort Access" on my car) wherein you just have the "key fob" on you; then you understand the need and convenience of push button starting. Also, many cars today have a lot of procedures inside the guts of the "fob" so it is no longer a "key" in the old sense. Since the push button starting and multi-function fobs started with more expensive, upscale vehicles; there is likely some "marketing advantage" to having push button starting on more econo-vehicles.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 10:48:55 am by ovr50 »
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:43:25 am »
The Toyota system uses a credit-card sized access key that unlocks the doors and enables the ignition within a certain distance, hence the need for the push button start.

I just wish they'd put the key slot on the dash instead of the steering column.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:50:13 am »
"I just wish they'd put the key slot on the dash instead of the steering column."

That is where mine is, and I agree it is better placement than the s.column.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:53:40 am »
Yeah, many German makes have done that forever, and it's one thing I miss.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:51:58 pm »

Agree. Had a couple of Altimas (rentals) with that feature. Not very satisfying to me. I would probably be more likely to lose the fob thing one has to carry around than a set of keys. I would definitely not pay more for that feature.

Drove a new Matrix last week. If the steering is the same in a Corrolla then I agree that it leaves much to be desired if you want any connection with the road.

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:09:57 pm »
Yeah, many German makes have done that forever, and it's one thing I miss.

Volvo does this too.  My understanding is it's a safety issue, because if kneecap meets key cylinder in a crash, kneecap loses.

JoBlo

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 01:12:46 pm »
Yes climate control is a nice thing but it's probably a simple system not a sophisticated system found in pricier models.

Now for the cabin air filter this is not new Ford (and probably other manufacturer) offer this feature in lower price car since 1995.  (again it's a Japanese you are still impress with system used by many car maker since the 1990's)

For start button it's a neutral thing some like some do not it's not adding a real value to the car.

As for tire pressure monitoring system By the law all car maker will have to install the system on car from 2010 or 2011 year model I mean all car from the 10K Accent to Lambo. (Again it's a Japanese and you still insist on equipment found on almost any car from this year or next year)

As for stability control GM is using it on low budget car for many years what can I say. I will buy a Mazda even if I don't have push button start or climate control I prefer a driver car not a appliance.  So continue to praise quality found on many cars for many years and continue to be impressed by Japanese car.  Hey it's 2010 I tought I was reading an article from the 70's.

John Doe

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 01:20:43 pm »
No timing belt.  :banana:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 01:39:18 pm »

If you have a vehicle with "automated locking/starting" (known as "Comfort Access" on my car) wherein you just have the "key fob" on you; then you understand the need and convenience of push button starting.

Agreed.  I'm no more interested in shoving a key into the steering column and twisting it than I am in manually unlocking the door with the key itself, or cranking my window up and down by hand, for that matter.  I'm happy to have a smart key with push button start on my car and will be looking for it on my next car.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Wheelboy

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-1
  • Can party with the best.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C-350
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 01:39:42 pm »
No timing belt.
I hear my neighbor's timing chain let go in their Saturn and toasted the engine.  They got a new car rather than put an engine in a 2001.  I googled it and it seems quite common in Saturns.  Go figure.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 01:39:49 pm »
4 speed auto.  :banana:
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 01:48:15 pm »

Agree. Had a couple of Altimas (rentals) with that feature. Not very satisfying to me. I would probably be more likely to lose the fob thing one has to carry around than a set of keys. I would definitely not pay more for that feature.

Drove a new Matrix last week. If the steering is the same in a Corrolla then I agree that it leaves much to be desired if you want any connection with the road.

I have an Altima with the push-button system and this system is awesome.  For starters, why would you lose the fob? My fob is on the keychain as was the previous fob for the Xtrail which had a key system, so no difference.  The key set is in my jacket pocket or jeans, push the little rubber button to get in, push the button to go, push the rubber button to lock, push the rubber button to pop the trunk, how simple is that!!  Now forget your keys/fob in the car and you cannot lock the doors...beep beep beep beep beep....no go ;)

Not very satisfying to me :think:

I have yet in 34 years driving got any satisfaction from twisting an ignition key, but god what a mess when you break a key in the ignition.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:51:29 pm by Altima1 »

John Doe

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 02:40:24 pm »
No timing belt.
I hear my neighbor's timing chain let go in their Saturn and toasted the engine.  They got a new car rather than put an engine in a 2001.  I googled it and it seems quite common in Saturns.  Go figure.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is recalling Saturn cars and SUVS troubled by faulty timing chains.

Federal regulators have concluded that some of the links in the timing chain in the 2001 Saturn L Series equipped with a 2.2 liter 4-cylinder engine can separate causing the timing chain to fail. 
 :stick:

toronto1

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 05:37:45 pm »
YET ANOTHER COROLLA REVIEW....
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 05:53:22 pm »
My concern with the proximity key system is that it's a pretty complex system, and seems to me like it could be failure-prone after a few years.  A key always works.  Whoever mentioned breaking the key off in the ignition...have you ever done that?!  Never even heard of people doing that.

As just one example, Car and Driver had a long-term 2006 330i, and the electronic key-fob slot failed within the first year.  The solution?  Flatbed it to a dealer.  I've never, ever heard of a traditional key ignition failing within the first year on any car.