Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Highlander four-cylinder  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Highlander four-cylinder
« on: June 09, 2010, 04:05:32 am »

For a trip to the Kentucky Derby, Assistant Editor, Jil McIntosh had an unusual request: she asked Toyota for a press vehicle affected by the accelerator recall.  The vehicle, and the race, turned out to be a good bet.

Read More...

aknutson

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Toyota Highlander four-cylinder
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:50:53 am »
Cool idea for the trip, and some interesting research and trivia on recalls and how they are handled differently in USA/Canada.

As for the Highlander, I can't imagine spending $34K to get into a 4-cylinder crossover. You say 'relative luxury for the price', and it seems to have a generous level of equipment for an entry-level model, but $34K is hardly an entry-level price. I realize the Santa Fe and the Highlander are different vehicles, but I can pick up a 2010 Santa Fe I4 for $26K, and for $34 I'm basically in the second-to-top trim level (Sport) with V6 and AWD. Is there something under the skin that makes this Highlander more valuable than I'm seeing? Why the big bucks?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:54:02 am »
I realize the Santa Fe and the Highlander are different vehicles, but I can pick up a 2010 Santa Fe I4 for $26K, and for $34 I'm basically in the second-to-top trim level (Sport) with V6 and AWD. Is there something under the skin that makes this Highlander more valuable than I'm seeing? Why the big bucks?

The reason for the big bucks is not found under the skin, but on the grille.  ;)

Jackmac

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:00:59 am »
I agree with the comment regarding the Santa Fe, and to that I would add the Kia Sorento as well. I can't imagine that there's much market for the Highlander at this trim level/price point.  It really needs to be down at $26-27k, the US pricing ($34k in the US gets you the Limited).

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:22:10 am »
I'm surprised the 2011 Kia Sorento is not on the competitors list at the end of the article, as it to is available in a seven passenger.

It would be interesting to have a side by side comparison between the Highlander, Santa Fe and Sorento.

CDF

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:29:30 am »
The Highlander is significantly larger than a Santa Fe. 9cm more wheelbase, 11cm overall length and +22% more cargo capacity. The RAV4 is only slightly smaller than a Santa Fe, and is closer in price to a Santa Fe than a Highlander is. Some of the extra price for the Highlander likely reflects this, the rest is Toyota's (perceived) quality.

The Kia Sorento may not have been included as a competitor at the end of the article as the new 2011 version has not yet been updated to CD's Buyer's Guide.

John Doe

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 01:54:35 pm »
The Highlander is significantly larger than a Santa Fe. 9cm more wheelbase, 11cm overall length and +22% more cargo capacity. The RAV4 is only slightly smaller than a Santa Fe, and is closer in price to a Santa Fe than a Highlander is. Some of the extra price for the Highlander likely reflects this, the rest is Toyota's (perceived) quality.

The Kia Sorento may not have been included as a competitor at the end of the article as the new 2011 version has not yet been updated to CD's Buyer's Guide.

I think toyota needs to split the third row seats, like the Honda Pilot.  More flexible cargo/passenger is needed.

aknutson

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 04:36:28 pm »

It looks bigger but I wasn't sure how much - 11cm is a generous amount, especially considering the tight constraints of a 3rd row. I think the Santa Fe and Sorento are almost identical as far as dimensions and engine/transmission options.

Offline babstude

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 01:42:22 pm »
As for the Highlander, I can't imagine spending $34K to get into a 4-cylinder crossover.

why not ? 99% of us don't need more power than what this powerplant would offer with the bonus of better mileage.  Guys like me can't imagine getting anything larger than a 4 cylinder on a passenger vehicle  ;)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 02:32:33 pm »

Guys like me can't imagine getting anything larger than a 4 cylinder on a passenger vehicle  ;)

With ya there.  The reason we started buying Subarus years ago was that we could get an AWD "utility" vehicle with a four cylinder that returned decent mileage.  The problem that I have with the Highlander and Venza is that the fours don't have much of a fuel economy advantage thanks to the sheer size and weight of these things.  But, every L/100km counts, so I'd probably go with a four if I were buying one.

JohnnyCash

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 12:25:13 am »
As mentioned by CDF, the Highlander is larger than the Santa Fe, and it is also larger than the Sorento.

It's silly to compare the Sorento and Santa Fe to the Highlander price-wise, since both are smaller vehicles.

The Sorento and Santa Fe are both smaller in-person than in pictures or videos, especially the Sorento. The Rav4 is closer in size to both of them than the Highlander is.

Also keep in mind, the Sorento is a brand new redesigned vehicle for 2011, and the Highlander will be getting a redesign soon, along with the Santa Fe also getting a redesign soon.

Yes, Toyota should definitely split the third row in the Highlander. I have no idea why they didn't do it in the first place. A terrible decision I think, not to have split the 3rd row in the first place. Hopefully the redesigned next-generation Highlander will get a split third row.

Offline donx

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 11:19:25 am »
It is interesting the Author did not put Honda Pilot to the long competitor list.  ??? Maybe she was comparing the 4 cylinder version. But anyway, it has been no comparison to me since last generation anyway, especially for the usability/flexibility of the third row. Toyota Sequoia might be a closer match to Honda Pilot in terms of trunk sapce and 3 row space then, but less fuel efficient.

diceman

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 08:01:59 pm »
I think once this thing is loaded up , it will really struggle with a 4 cyl. How much does it weigh?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 08:06:41 pm »
~3800 lbs.  Or about the same as everybody elses 4 banger SUVs...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Leviathan

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 02:47:59 am »
I think once this thing is loaded up , it will really struggle with a 4 cyl.
Thing is, a lot of the time these things aren't traveling with a full load. Most of my driving is just me with the odd passenger. If I load it up with 2 or 3 passengers + luggage/golf clubs for a trip then I adjust my driving accordingly. Even with a full load the Tribute can keep up with highway traffic to/from Kelowna so I think this Highlander will be just fine with "loaded up". For the rest of the time it will get better mileage than the V6  :)