Author Topic: XM Radio  (Read 49618 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: XM Radio
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2015, 08:20:53 pm »
The only good thing about Sirius is how well it is integrated into most infotainment systems. Yes I can stream Google Music but I have to fumble with my phone, which is annoying (and illegal?)

That is slowly changing, though. The Volvo has TuneIn integration, which isn't great, but it does work. You can sync it with your TuneIn account and go through your favorites list etc. to get web radio....at much better than XM/Sirius quality might I add. Its also effectively free since you can tether Bluetooth from your smartphone for the internet access.

However, the system is quite slow and a bit clunky at times.

I think XM etc. have to look for a different business model. With the proliferation of mobile broadband (first on phones, now in cars!) its just not necessary to have Sat radio any more. They simply do not have the bandwidth to offer enough value and they have to launch a satellite to get this stuff working. By comparison I could probably host a web radio station off my laptop.

New technology once again makes an old business models redundant.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2015, 12:18:54 am »
The only good thing about Sirius is how well it is integrated into most infotainment systems. Yes I can stream Google Music but I have to fumble with my phone, which is annoying (and illegal?)

That is slowly changing, though. The Volvo has TuneIn integration, which isn't great, but it does work. You can sync it with your TuneIn account and go through your favorites list etc. to get web radio....at much better than XM/Sirius quality might I add. Its also effectively free since you can tether Bluetooth from your smartphone for the internet access.

However, the system is quite slow and a bit clunky at times.

I think XM etc. have to look for a different business model. With the proliferation of mobile broadband (first on phones, now in cars!) its just not necessary to have Sat radio any more. They simply do not have the bandwidth to offer enough value and they have to launch a satellite to get this stuff working. By comparison I could probably host a web radio station off my laptop.

New technology once again makes an old business models redundant.

I would pay for it if the quality was good, but it's so compressed, sounds like it's out of a tin can.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2015, 01:11:07 am »
XM came with my Mazda at no charge for 4 months. There are only 2-3 channels that I wanted to listen to. What's wrong with this world, when there's only 1 classical channel, yet like, 2 dozen sports channels?!!

Naturally did not bother renewing. Sticking with my CDs thank you very much.
And at least one of sports channels is NASCAR. Good gawd, it's bad enough on TV, I couldn't imagine it on radio.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2015, 01:17:29 am »
Sirius call me about once a month, offering a full year at $79.99, I still decline.  I'll wait until they have a better offer.

I like some of the channels, but the compression is just too noticeable.
When my wife was driving the TSX, she always had XM on or her ipod. When the car became my daily driver last year, I dropped the satellite radio. I couldn't believe just how good that radio sounds with a CD or just local radio.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2015, 03:33:01 am »
The new rental cars have Sirius/XM radio, great for driving long distance in the mountains.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2015, 07:11:02 am »
I would pay for it if the quality was good, but it's so compressed, sounds like it's out of a tin can.

It is so compressed......My auto volume level doesn't know when to turn it up or down so it just stays the save all the time.

The funny things is (because I'm an audio snob) the compression doesn't even bother me because my car is so noisy anyway but I want something for my money. The amount of talking and ads today is horrible. I'm paying so I DON'T have to listen to them.

One of my favorite channels use to be Coffeehouse as it was all acoustic cover songs by different artist. Now its mostly the artist doing their own songs. Don't trust them.

I called and canceled yesterday and gave my reasons. Asked for a conformation email just in case they try to ping my CC. Glad I get instant notifications when my card is charged.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2015, 07:56:53 am »

It is so compressed......My auto volume level doesn't know when to turn it up or down so it just stays the save all the time.

The funny things is (because I'm an audio snob) the compression doesn't even bother me because my car is so noisy anyway but I want something for my money. The amount of talking and ads today is horrible. I'm paying so I DON'T have to listen to them.

One of my favorite channels use to be Coffeehouse as it was all acoustic cover songs by different artist. Now its mostly the artist doing their own songs. Don't trust them.

I called and canceled yesterday and gave my reasons. Asked for a conformation email just in case they try to ping my CC. Glad I get instant notifications when my card is charged.

You wait, the constant calls will start...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2015, 08:47:08 am »

I'm actually looking forward to the conversation....Seriously. I can't wait to have a polite conversation about how they lie about their service.

Subscribers have access to commercial-free music, the best in talk, entertainment and comedy programming, and the most comprehensive sports coverage available, 24/7.

I have yet to find that commercial-free music channel. ;)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2015, 09:01:01 am »
I politely asked my number to be taken off their calling list and haven't heard back since, although I still get irritating mail from them ("Your subscription has expired, but we can reactivate for 65$....."). Then again, laws are different in the US in regards to the whole Do Not Call list.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2015, 09:14:02 am »
Most press cars have XM and I've grown rather accustomed to it, so I do miss it when I drive one of my own vehicles and don't have it. Two big reasons for me though; firstly I spend a lot of time in the car (3ish hours a day), secondly mrs.firm and I are big country music fans and the local FM country stations are crap...XM has 5 country stations, 3 of which I really like. Unlike some here, I haven't noticed any excessive advertising, one of my favorite stations (56- The Highway) has DJs that talk frequently, but they're interesting enough that I don't mind listening to them. The other country stations have very little interuptions to the music.
Another factor for me is that some of these stations (The Highway in particular) do a very good job of discovering new music/artists that I would never otherwise hear.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2015, 09:16:26 am »

I'm actually looking forward to the conversation....Seriously. I can't wait to have a polite conversation about how they lie about their service.

Subscribers have access to commercial-free music, the best in talk, entertainment and comedy programming, and the most comprehensive sports coverage available, 24/7.

I have yet to find that commercial-free music channel. ;)

Odd, most of the channels I listened to were commercial free.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2015, 09:31:48 am »

ALL of the stations should be commercial free. I listen to 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, Classic rock (2 different ones), Coffee House, Rap and a couple others and they all have ads.

Which music station doesn't have any ads? And advertising their other stations still count IMO.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2015, 10:35:30 am »

ALL of the stations should be commercial free. I listen to 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, Classic rock (2 different ones), Coffee House, Rap and a couple others and they all have ads.

Which music station doesn't have any ads? And advertising their other stations still count IMO.

:iagree:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2015, 10:53:43 am »

:iagree:

Don't know, I haven't listened in a while...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2015, 07:26:36 am »
There were fast to cut of my service last week (rightfully so of course). Today they have already given me a month free to entice me to come back. Isn't going to work but I'll use it anyway. No harassing phone calls yet.

We're sorry to see you go and would like a chance to change your mind, so we are giving you one month of FREE SiriusXM, ending on May 14, 2015.
Should you wish to reactivate your service, please contact Customer Care at 1-877-438-9677 before your bonus month ends to avoid a reactivation fee.
We hope that you enjoy your free month of listening, our compliments for being a valued SiriusXM customer, and look forward to hearing from you again soon!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2015, 08:24:20 am »
I wish they'd stop sending me mail asking me to renew.

Do these marketing techniques ever work? "Harass the customer until he/she re-subscribes"  ???

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2015, 12:11:35 pm »
Over a year ago I was out of town and forgot to renew my Sirius subscription. Got endless messages on my answering machine and letters asking me to renew, but I never bothered. I still kind of miss the service, but it's just not worth it. I've got 4 CBC stations punched into the FM radio in the car, which works pretty good on the road.

I kept XM in the Yukon, but am not going to renew that either. I just drove back from BC and the stupid radio couldn't get a signal for nearly half the trip, Very annoying!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2015, 02:42:28 pm »
It's a great service for $10 mth/ plus tax and ridiculous "royalty fee". 

It's lousy @ $20 mth .... plus

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2015, 08:50:42 pm »
It's a great service for $10 mth/ plus tax and ridiculous "royalty fee". 

It's lousy @ $20 mth .... plus

I listened more online than in the car during my free preview.  Now they want an extra $4/mo to listen online?  Feck you.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2015, 11:28:04 pm »
I listened more online than in the car during my free preview.  Now they want an extra $4/mo to listen online?  Feck you.

Never understood why they charged extra for online as there are many equally or better services already available for free.