Author Topic: Anyone else surprised the new Ford F-150 didn't win MTs Truck of The Year  (Read 5949 times)

Offline DFraser

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ram1500
I have to admit I was more than a little surprised when the newly designed mid-size Chevrolet Colorado beat out the new Ford F-150 for Motor Trend's Truck of the Year award.

True, the Colorado was gone for a bit, but the Ford was a TRUE innovation. Am I wrong to be so surprised?

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else surprised the new Ford F-150 didn't win MTs Truck of The Year
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 04:04:56 pm »
I am surprised.   Although maybe they figured they needed to throw GM a bone after giving the RAM the award two years in a row and snubbing the new 1500 for 2014.  Knowing Ford will be a shoe-in for the 2016 TOTY with the due HD.  Unless the Titan is awesome....

The F-150, true innovation, I wouldn't go that far.  Extensive use of aluminum is new for a truck, but not new.  More innovative than sticking a diesel in a 1/2 ton, but not mind blowing.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 04:31:19 pm »
the turbo 2.7 (or whatever it is) is a pretty groundbreaking engine to throw in a truck though... so that combined with the new metal and i can see it as a favourite...

i didn't read it, did MT get the diesel option to test? then i'd understand... otherwise, i don't really get it.. not sure how ajac came up with the mid-sized boys as the winner either.. especially when the truck MT said won for '14 was still in the mix there...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 01:15:22 am »
It's overhyped imo. The thing weighs within a few hundred lbs of it's competitors. Ford had such an overweight truck with it's last gen model, the beer can 150 really isn't light enough for all the hype over its new panels. The 2.7 is impressive from a HP/TQ standpoint, really want to see what owners are getting for real world fuel economy.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice truck. I really do think GM's Canyon/Colorado bring much needed competitiveness in the segment.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:09:46 am »

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice truck. I really do think GM's Canyon/Colorado bring much needed competitiveness in the segment.

IMO, the GM twins are Onion Gum.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:09:46 pm »
The F150 is really innovative. The GM twins are really conventional. I'm not entirely sure the made the right choice, but with MotorTrend, that's not a rarity.

In the greater scheme of things it's no big deal either way.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »
The F150 is really innovative. The GM twins are really conventional. I'm not entirely sure the made the right choice, but with MotorTrend, that's not a rarity.

In the greater scheme of things it's no big deal either way.

You can say that again...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:45:11 am »
What's the general opinion around here regarding ranking the US automags (C&D, MT, R&T, Automobile) in terms of quality?  When it comes to the two major glossies from the UK,  I feel that Car is way more serious than Top Gear...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 01:36:18 am »
And now Autoweek picks the GM vomit twins to win, too?  :think:  It's just not a truck I think I could look at everyday...much like their full size offerings.  Occasionally see one that has the right wheels and looks ok, then see an F150 or RAM and go, "Why?*" 

*wonders if one day he will eat his words...

Styling is subjective. I don't mind the old f150, the new one gets a "yuck" That front end is way too ugly imo. Both Ram and GM are better looking outside.

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:13:12 am »
No question that the new F150 is very significant and easily could have won. Still, the little GM twins are important and a legit effort to reenergize a whole segment.

I think the value in these contests is usually in the discussion of the finalists rather than the actual top pick.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 11:20:18 am »
When it comes to truck comparisons, I take any car mag with a Honda Fit sized grain of salt. Ill wait till Four Wheelin, Diesel Performance or a proper publication puts out a truck comparison. When it comes to truck tests, a lap of Willow Springs is not on my agenda, however seeing how it will take a pallet of laminate flooring or bricks is more important to me.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 12:07:31 pm »
When it comes to truck comparisons, I take any car mag with a Honda Fit sized grain of salt. Ill wait till Four Wheelin, Diesel Performance or a proper publication puts out a truck comparison. When it comes to truck tests, a lap of Willow Springs is not on my agenda, however seeing how it will take a pallet of laminate flooring or bricks is more important to me.

This one was not bad for Canadian Auto Jurno types:

http://www.autos.ca/trucks/feature-2014-canadian-truck-king-challenge/?all=1

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 12:21:42 pm »

This one was not bad for Canadian Auto Jurno types:

http://www.autos.ca/trucks/feature-2014-canadian-truck-king-challenge/?all=1

No, not at all. That to me is truck test.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 03:30:20 pm »
I was a bit surprised by the result.  While it may be the case that Ford is correcting for the comparatively higher weight of the F150s, the use of aluminum and now even smaller displacement V6 is pretty significant for the segment.

Car and Driver dot com has a F-150 Platinum full Zoot test on the main page today,

it only undercut an all-steel Silverado High Country 4x4 crew cab we tested last winter by a mere 95 pounds,