Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS  (Read 33246 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:02:55 am »

Redesigned for 2011, the Hyundai Sonata comes with exclusively with a four-cylinder engine, but you probably won't miss the V6, says Assistant Editor, Jil McIntosh. It's a lot of car for the money, but the ride can be rough, she says.

Read More...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:50:53 am »
I can't help it - I just don't like the style of the new Sonata. Am I the only one??

Nope.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:10:25 am »
Nothing wrong with not liking the style of a car... There's plenty of vehicle out there that I just don't like how they look.

With that said, Hyundai's decision to design the new Sonata as aggressively is certainly paying dividends right now as it's now right there with the best sellers in the class.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:17:58 am »
Then there are the newer Jetta and Passat, being decried as being possibly the only vehicles that make Toyota's 'beige' theme look racy.

I find the front a little overwrought design wise on the Sonata (esp all that chrome in the grill), but overall a cohensive and distinctive design relative to it's peers. 
Fortune favours the bold!

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12351
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 08:34:57 am »
I think it looks fantastic - and I am starting to see them pretty much everywhere, so I know I'm not alone.  But hey, people like what they like and don't what they don't.  It's not shocking to me in the least that some won't care for the looks - which is the case with any car.  Some of the same people who hate the Sonata's styling will tell you the Malibu is a thing of exceptional beauty.  With a staight face, and everything.

Now, shall we estimate how long it takes for our local Hyundai-hating troll to make an appearance and tell us all what an overrated pos this car is?

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

pro/zack

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:31:21 am »
Hey people, new to this. I am currently shopping for wheels and looked at the Sonata and thought it was well put together. I recently had/sold a Toyota FJ, a great, tough little truck but a pig on gas. I think this trend toward high output 4 cyl's is great (MS3, WRX,etc.) I don't believe anyone needs a V6 anymore, you can have the power and driving fun with somewhat descent gas mileage. Up here in NW (no where) Ontario we only have one major highway and police are really diligent and we are currently at $1.20/liter so not necessary to be going more than 90 klicks. With that said I thought the Sonata was a great car and looks great, I wish CD would take Db readings in the cabins, I found the FJ really loud and that was tiring on long drives,(sucks to get old, eh? )

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:38:18 am »
I'm partial to the styling of the car. I really like the rear-end design and the profile, but there is something about the front-end I don't quite like (not ugly I don't like though).
I think a production version of the hybrid concept, something like the new Elantra front end, would make the car even more appealing in my eyes.

The new design language works best on this car versus the new Tucson which I find too “bubbly” from the side (I still like the front clip and especially rear-end as "stand-alone" pieces).

This is a perhaps the most important car in Hyundai's line-up, and IMO it's the first car that really puts Hyundai on the top-shelf for the vast majority of buyers (I still don't think it is the best in class or the benchmark as some people call it). It's a complete car, offering perhaps the best bang for the buck in the segment and certainly can sell on its own merits. I hope Hyundai continues to refine the Sonata and other new products now that they got all the bases covered. On the styling front, they seem to be close to having their own cohesive design language, which is also good for a change.

What's up with that gooseneck hinges in the trunk though? At least they could've had them go through an enclosure inside the trunk like other manufacturers do. Is the trunk lid lined? I think it is, but I can't remember for sure.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 11:01:33 am »
What's up with that gooseneck hinges in the trunk though? At least they could've had them go through an enclosure inside the trunk like other manufacturers do. Is the trunk lid lined? I think it is, but I can't remember for sure.

I have to say that I'm also disappointed with the step-back regarding the trunk hinges... there's no way those would've worked for us when we went on vacation this summer... our trunk was filled to capacity (you literally couldn't fit something as big as a softball) and those hinges would have been a huge problem for us. At least the power wires seem to be properly tied and aren't dangling like they are in other vehicles (Fusion comes to mind).

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 11:43:55 am »
I have yet to see a privatelly owned Sonata on the roads here.  However I see 2-3 rental units per day.  Hugely popular with the fleet buyers already!

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 12:10:35 pm »
I have yet to see a privatelly owned Sonata on the roads here.  However I see 2-3 rental units per day.  Hugely popular with the fleet buyers already!
Where is that? I live in the Hamilton area and I've seen quite a few new Sonatas driving around. A couple popped up in the neighborhood even.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 12:26:49 pm »
Calgary.  Tons of new rental Sonatas running around.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 12:33:21 pm »
I'm in a rented Sonata right now (GL) in Vancouver.  I am quite impressed with it.  It looks nice in white.

The steering feel is far better then I expected in a entry level family sedan, it is very quite inside too.

SJP

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 01:08:01 pm »
I would never buy one of these because I find the front a little too much, and from there on back it does nothing for me. However, I give Hyundai credit for being bold, and for those who can live with or even like the looks, it seems like a great car.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:52:52 pm by SJP »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 01:10:29 pm »
Exterior styling wise, I think it's the best looking car in it's class.  I am starting to see quite a few here on the roads as well.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »
This car is selling well to both retail and fleet customers. I'm in a 2011 Sonata rental as well and have put a few thousand kms on it. Oddly, it has equipment somewhere between GL and GLS... based on what I've seen it's a GLS minus the fog lights, sunroof, and leather wrapped wheel. Am thankful for the freebie XM radio preview.

Have to say I quite like the thing and could live with it.

Steering feel is the biggest negative in my book. It's not bad, but not good - you get used to it. After sampling a few rentals (Civic, Outlander, Sonata) I didn't realize how much steering feel differed in vehicles, and how good my car was/is (IMO). The recent steering recall further reinforced my concern. And sometimes the suspension sounds hollow over bumps, especially at low speeds. Also find the trip computer logic is not as user friendly or thoughtful as the VW (have to reset each value individually - time, fuel economy, etc whereas VW resets trip 1 and stores trip 2 info automatically), but they're well on their way. Interior materials aren't the greatest but perfectly acceptable, their fit is good, and the design is pleasant.

Otherwise I think the car is great. Very classy design, roomy and comfy, great equipment (bluetooth, heated seats, steering wheel controls, etc), powerful, reasonably fuel efficient, and value priced. I like the suspension's ride/handling balance, but think the tires must be cruddy because when the road turns wet cornering abilities are low - or the tires were abused by the previous renter, but think they're just geared toward fuel efficiency.

Speaking of fuel economy, on my 240km commute I'm netting between 6.3-6.9L/100K (typically 6.7) and get around 940K per 70L tank. This compares to my Golf Wagon which gets 4.5-5.2L/100K (typically 4.9) and closer to 1100k per 55L tank. Short trips and city driving are far less efficient than the diesel, but the difference in highway driving narrows - especially around 90km/h. Still, not half bad for the size of the car.

I've had a lot of positive experience with Hyundais and would recommend the car.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:39:52 pm by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 02:16:42 pm »
Good write-up sirAqua... just wondering, how come you're commuting with a rental? Did you have to bring in the Golf in for repairs or what?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 02:47:49 pm »
Good write-up sirAqua... just wondering, how come you're commuting with a rental? Did you have to bring in the Golf in for repairs or what?
I guess you miss deer vs Golf thread

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12351
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 03:07:03 pm »
This car is selling well to both retail and fleet customers. I'm in a 2011 Sonata rental as well and have put a few thousand kms on it. Oddly, it has equipment somewhere between GL and GLS... based on what I've seen it's a GLS minus the fog lights, sunroof, and leather wrapped wheel. Am thankful for the freebie XM radio preview.

Have to say I quite like the thing and could live with it.

Steering feel is the biggest negative in my book. It's not bad, but not good - you get used to it. After sampling a few rentals (Civic, Outlander, Sonata) I didn't realize how much steering feel differed in vehicles, and how good my car was/is (IMO). The recent steering recall further reinforced my concern. And sometimes the suspension sounds hollow over bumps, especially at low speeds. Also find the trip computer logic is not as user friendly or thoughtful as the VW (have to reset each value individually - time, fuel economy, etc whereas VW resets trip 1 and stores trip 2 info automatically), but they're well on their way. Interior materials aren't the greatest but perfectly acceptable, their fit is good, and the design is pleasant.

Otherwise I think the car is great. Very classy design, roomy and comfy, great equipment (bluetooth, heated seats, steering wheel controls, etc), powerful, reasonably fuel efficient, and value priced. I like the suspension's ride/handling balance, but think the tires must be cruddy because when the road turns wet cornering abilities are low - or the tires were abused by the previous renter, but think they're just geared toward fuel efficiency.

Speaking of fuel economy, on my 240km commute I'm netting between 6.3-6.9L/100K (typically 6.7) and get around 940K per 70L tank. This compares to my Golf Wagon which gets 4.5-5.2L/100K (typically 4.9) and closer to 1100k per 55L tank. Short trips and city driving are far less efficient than the diesel, but the difference in highway driving narrows - especially around 90km/h. Still, not half bad for the size of the car.

I've had a lot of positive experience with Hyundais and would recommend the car.

Always good to get hands-on feedback from a fellow forumite. Standard satellite radio is a real plus in my books.  Having had it for nearly 4 yers in my Altima, there's no way I could go back to regular commercial radio ever again.

Jaeger

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 03:13:59 pm »
This is a perhaps the most important car in Hyundai's line-up, and IMO it's the first car that really puts Hyundai on the top-shelf for the vast majority of buyers (I still don't think it is the best in class or the benchmark as some people call it). It's a complete car, offering perhaps the best bang for the buck in the segment and certainly can sell on its own merits. I hope Hyundai continues to refine the Sonata and other new products now that they got all the bases covered. On the styling front, they seem to be close to having their own cohesive design language, which is also good for a change.
i am not sure if you mean me, when you say "some people"...i think the car does very well, and the numerous reviewers would agree (which is essentially where i get my opinion from, as i have only driven one once)...that said, i totally agree with your comment about it being a complete car...even if it isn't "class leading", it is certainly near the top in so many categories, that as a whole, it is a great vehicle.

meh...enclosed areas for the "gooseneck" hinges would simply remove that space from available trunk space anyway, so the only difference is you won't "see them"...that is money spent on something that really isn't important, as you never look at your hinges when the trunk is closed...yes, struts are probably ideal in terms of not getting in the way, but struts cost more money and may fail years down the road...i think Hyundai chose to keep it simple to keep costs down, and one less thing to replace in several years...i wouldn't fault them for that.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 03:25:13 pm »
Always good to get hands-on feedback from a fellow forumite. Standard satellite radio is a real plus in my books.  Having had it for nearly 4 yers in my Altima, there's no way I could go back to regular commercial radio ever again.

Jaeger
i hear that a fair amount...i too am looking forward to trying it...i have a good 1.5 hours of driving a day to/from work so having some decent radio stations would be a plus.