Author Topic: First Drive: 2017 Maserati Quattroporte  (Read 46091 times)

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Alfa 164, BMW 325, Fiat 500, Mercury Grand M, Accord Coupe, Alfa Milano
Re: First Drive: 2017 Maserati Quattroporte
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 07:01:29 pm »

Thats Italian fanboi speak for "so what if it doesn't run, catches on fire and nothing works....look how pretty it is sitting on that tow truck/hoist"  ;D

Oh c'mon...when stuff like that happens, it's because the car has CHARACTER and SOUL  :rofl2: :rofl:

:rofl2: :rofl2: Sorry, I'm not fluent in Italian car characteristics

Someone is stuck in the 70s :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 07:44:32 pm »

Thats Italian fanboi speak for "so what if it doesn't run, catches on fire and nothing works....look how pretty it is sitting on that tow truck/hoist"  ;D

Oh c'mon...when stuff like that happens, it's because the car has CHARACTER and SOUL  :rofl2: :rofl:

Hahahahahaha....yeah, because the Italians are almost Lexus-esque when it comes to reliability. Please....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2016, 08:03:43 pm »

Yes...most Italian car company's build quality.... :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 08:06:19 pm »

Hahahahahaha....yeah, because the Italians are almost Lexus-esque when it comes to reliability. Please....

And I'm guessing such wisdom comes from your various maserati and alfas?

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2016, 08:07:03 pm »

^ I mean who could've imagined a guy with "Fonz164" in his forum name would be somewhat biased towards Italian cars  :rofl2:

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 08:07:46 pm »

Yes...most Italian car company's build quality.... :rofl2:

Said the genius with a PhD in mechanical engineering:)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2016, 08:09:21 pm »

Nope, any reliability survey, car magazines and owners forums....no thank you. Great looking cars, but no.

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2016, 08:09:33 pm »

^ I mean who could've imagined a guy with "Fonz164" in his forum name would be somewhat biased towards Italian cars 

Based on ownership of all major car producing nations ;)

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2016, 08:11:25 pm »

Nope, any reliability survey, car magazines and owners forums....no thank you. Great looking cars, but no.

Then grow some coJones  and try before you speak, clearly you're limited by what others think.....

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2016, 08:13:32 pm »

^ I mean who could've imagined a guy with "Fonz164" in his forum name would be somewhat biased towards Italian cars 

Sincerely, I didn't follow: you're saying you've tried cars from other countries and you like Italian stuff the best? If so, fair play. We're all allowed our biases. Just own it, dude.

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2016, 08:19:12 pm »

Sincerely, I didn't follow: you're saying you've tried cars from other countries and you like Italian stuff the best? If so, fair play. We're all allowed our biases. Just own it, dude.

I've owned  Japanese, American, German and Italian cars. They all offer something different.

Once you try a proper Italian car it's hard to go back

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 08:20:00 pm »

What's proper?  I don't see any in your sig.....

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2016, 08:23:57 pm »

Alfa Milano, Alfa 164 LS, Auto Bianchi A112 Abarth...:)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2016, 08:24:58 pm »
When I belonged to PCA, many of the members also owned Pasta Rockets - and wow, ownership was difficult and expensive.  A 911 was a veritable Toyota Yaris in comparison in terms of problems.

But, those folks knew that going in.  A "proper" Italian car?  Fast.  Really fooking fast.  Gorgeous.  Really fooking gorgeous.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2016, 08:30:53 pm »

Well I'd disagree with the Milano and 164LS.  To me (and you're obviously different) a "proper" italian sports car sets your heart aflutter with it's beautiful styling.  Neither of those will do that...particularly with the Milano looking like a poor cross between an old Jetta and a Saab 9000.

The Abarths styling is dull too.  But (to me), it's cool in the same way that an old Datsun 510 is cool.  Not stylish.  But cool...and fun to drive as most old go-kart sized cars are.

But hey...we're all glad you enjoy driving your italian iron.  Different strokes for different folks.....

And maybe put some pics of your cars in Show and Shine if you haven't done so already.  Plenty of people here (me included) would like to see them even if they aren't our cup of tea.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:33:34 pm by rrocket »

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2016, 08:33:08 pm »
When I belonged to PCA, many of the members also owned Pasta Rockets - and wow, ownership was difficult and expensive.  A 911 was a veritable Toyota Yaris in comparison in terms of problems.

But, those folks knew that going in.  A "proper" Italian car?  Fast.  Really fooking fast.  Gorgeous.  Really fooking gorgeous.

Some of the most memorable and epic pasta rockets are also maintenance intensive no doubt, 355 comes to mind and some other exotics.....while some othersort weren't so bad

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2016, 08:36:24 pm »

Some of the most memorable and epic pasta rockets are also maintenance intensive no doubt, 355 comes to mind and some other exotics.....while some othersort weren't so bad

The guys I used to roll with all owned expensive cars.  Ferraris, R8s, NSX, SL65 AMG, modded 911 TTs etc.  I was the "poor" guy with my Supra.

Without question, the cars that were in the shop the most often were the Ferraris.  It wasn't even close.  And the worst offender in the group of these unreliable supercars was a 550 Maranello.  It was ALWAYS in the shop.  And not for a week...but WEEKS.  And parts always seemed to be....impossible to get.

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2016, 08:37:00 pm »

Well I'd disagree with the Milano and 164LS.  To me (and you're obviously different) a "proper" italian sports car sets your heart aflutter with it's beautiful styling.  Neither of those will do that...particularly with the Milano looking like a poor cross between an old Jetta and a Saab 9000.

The Abarths styling is dull too.  But (to me), it's cool in the same way that an old Datsun 510 is cool.  Not stylish.  But cool...and fun to drive as most old go-kart sized cars are.

But hey...we're all glad you enjoy driving your italian iron.  Different strokes for different folks.....

And maybe put some pics of your cars in Show and Shine if you haven't done so already.  Plenty of people here (me included) would like to see them even if they aren't our cup of tea.

Then Milanos beauty wasn't it's styling but it's epic engine and handling it also raced well and was identical mechanically to the successful gtvv6 and sz.

Theven I64 had that wonderful busso and Pininfarina lineso....but I can understand your preference for a camry or maxima.....different strokes

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2016, 08:39:59 pm »

Then Milanos beauty wasn't it's styling but it's epicertainly engine and handling it also raced well and was identical mechanically to the successful gtvv6 and sz.

Theven I64 had that wonderful busso and Pininfarina lineso....but I can understand your preference for a camry or maxima.....different strokes

The sad part is, a modern Camry would likely blow those cars into the weeds.  It would be so far ahead after the 1st straight, none of those cars would catch it on a track.   :rofl2:

But again...to me...a "proper" Italian cars has ALL the elements.  Lovely powerplant and handling AND lust worthy good looks.  There's a reason most people never had posters of Milano's and 164s on their wall...instead having 308s and Countachs and Daytonas along with 911/930s.

Offline davefonz164

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2016, 08:43:36 pm »

The guys I used to roll with all owned expensive cars.  Ferraris, R8s, NSX, SL65 AMG, modded 911 TTs etc.  I was the "poor" guy with my Supra.

Without question, the cars that were in the shop the most often were the Ferraris.  It wasn't even close.  And the worst offender in the group of these unreliable supercars was a 550 Maranello.  It was ALWAYS in the shop.  And not for a week...but WEEKS.  And parts always seemed to be....impossible to get.

Nobody can touch Toyota and Honda for low maintenance high performance sports cars.

HaVing been close to many Ferrari owners and other pasta rockets ...their dependability was hugely proportional to the way they were driven or maintained. The Supra or NSX were in a different league when it came to cost of ownership, but ahhh the sound and drive of those 355...

Things have changed dramatically.....Ferrari or maserati  no longer have belt driven engines and Ferrari offers a 7 year cpo program with maintenence  included..

Go figure