Author Topic: Long-Term Test Uodate 1: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring  (Read 15345 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Long-Term Test Uodate 1: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 06:16:00 pm »
GM Fanboy's are a pathetic bunch.

Nothing approaches the Subaru Slappies. :)

Subaru does not require bailouts from several levels of government to survive. If it weren't for tax dollars GM would not exist today  :)

HA HA , big thumbs up. Now toyota will destroy all that's good with Subaru :'(

...GM used to own a sizeable share of Subaru, which it had to sell under the terms of the bailout (or maybe just for milk money). Toyota picked those shares up quickly.

So Subie fans owe a bit to GM for the fact that Subaru is still here  :stick:

Well, step one of the collaboration is the BRZ.  I would call that a great start

Agreed, GM's idea of collaboration was to take an Impreza and put a SAAB logo on it. That took real smarts!  ::)

Still not as bad as a Trailblazer  :hurl: with a Saab grille......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 09:33:44 pm »
So far Toyota has recognized that Subaru has a certain something that has created a pretty loyal following, and they've left well alone in most respects.  I understand that a lot has been going on behind the scenes, with Toyota providing advice on how to get production costs down and other areas of efficiency.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 12:44:01 am »
I love how every thread is now dominated by some GM versus whatever fight... *sigh*

Anyways... although the XV is not for me, I know a couple of people who might appreciate this. It's not a big crossover but it may be just right sized for someone with very light offroad requirements and the need to install a bike hitch. See anything wrong with doing either of those on this? What about a regular Impreza?

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 08:04:31 am »
GM Fanboy's are a pathetic bunch.

Nothing approaches the Subaru Slappies. :)

Subaru does not require bailouts from several levels of government to survive. If it weren't for tax dollars GM would not exist today  :)

HA HA , big thumbs up. Now toyota will destroy all that's good with Subaru :'(

...GM used to own a sizeable share of Subaru, which it had to sell under the terms of the bailout (or maybe just for milk money). Toyota picked those shares up quickly.

So Subie fans owe a bit to GM for the fact that Subaru is still here  :stick:

Well, step one of the collaboration is the BRZ.  I would call that a great start

Agreed, GM's idea of collaboration was to take an Impreza and put a SAAB logo on it. That took real smarts!  ::)

Still not as bad as a Trailblazer  :hurl: with a Saab grille......

Yes, unfortunately the wicked ways of the old GM are sometimes hard to forgive.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 08:59:51 am »
It's not a big crossover but it may be just right sized for someone with very light offroad requirements and the need to install a bike hitch. See anything wrong with doing either of those on this? What about a regular Impreza?

The XV would do those things just fine. See the article about the XV vs Impeza but for the two things you note the XV has higher clearance. Although you can put a hitch on the Impreza apparently the hitch isn't for towing in Canada ;)

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Long-Term Arrival: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 09:01:28 am »
"But, the XV also has equipment that the Impreza Sport 5-Door doesn’t have...and of course the ability to tow."

Can you elaborate on that? The Impreza Sport can't tow or has a lower tow rating compared to the XV even when properly equipped?

Impreza is not rated to tow in Canada

Any chance you could find out why this is the case? Like it was an oversight in not providing a rating or Subaru Canada consciously decided to declare it can't tow at all, not even a landscape trailer loaded with balloons?

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »
"For those unfamiliar with the Subaru XV Crosstrek, it is a new crossover vehicle that is slotted below the Forester in Subaru’s hierarchy of utility vehicles.  Many have written it off as an Impreza on stilts due to the bodies looking basically the same.  Although I can see why the assumption is made, it isn’t exactly accurate."

Actually the original review said that it replaces the Impreza Outback in the lineup. As such, it really is a Impreza with enhancements. The first one I saw was driving beside an Impreza 5 door and my first thought was that they borrowed so much hardware including taillights from that car for a new CUV.Then I realized it was essentially the same. I do like the look, but the lack of highway power would be a problem in the foothills here in Calgary...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 07:53:28 pm »
i've liked this car since i first saw it in "coming soon" previews online...i have seen a couple in person, and i think it is "right sized" for many people...while i like the Impreza as well, it felt like i was sitting on the ground when i was in...reminded me of being in a Honda Prelude.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline blork

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: TL
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:30 pm »

I'm hoping to see more cars like this. Many people would like a commuter for 1 or 2, would like AWD and a comfortable seating position, but don't need or want a larger car and the associated extra fuel. Apart from this, the mini countryman, and the nissan Juke ( that latter two which unfortunately sucks premium gas faster than even larger options) there's not a lot out there. I understand Honda will be coming out with a mini SUV based on the fit, but that is a few years away minimum.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 12:23:55 pm »
i took a Juke for a drive when they first came out...i love it...however, it is small inside...seriously...small.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 03:33:46 pm »
Starting to look for new wheels for the Mrs.  Probably won't be buying anything for a while, but was in Kitchener yesterday & took a detour to the Subaru dealer.

Had a good look at the Sport (mid-trim level).  Had a seat behind the wheel, visibility is fantastic, best of anything i've experienced in a long while.  The seats are height adjustable and tilt/telescoping wheel meant I could quickly find a good driving position.  Heated seats are standard, even with the cloth - which I liked, a grippy material that looked good and felt durable.

Looked to be pretty good room in back for two.  Three would definitely be squeezy.  60/40 seats fold perfectly flat & flip down easily with a lift of a button on the seatback.  Good  amount of room with those backs down, and again perfectly flat.  Brochure shows a mountain bike easily inside.  Back hatch area has a few hooks scattered about for grocery bags, etc.  Every car should have these.

The Mrs. then tried out the drivers seat.  No power seats, but a few cranks on the height adjuster, she's sitting high & happy.  She in particular likes the expansive view.  So, thumbs up from the boss.

Was asked if I'd like to take it for a drive, so why would I say no?.  A dark cherry red Sport was summoned from back lot, and was a bit surprised we were sent off by ourselves.

A few months ago, had some seat time in an Impreza, so remembering my impressions with that (I liked it) was anxious to compare with the XV.
The one thing I distinctly remember in the Impreza was the hair-trigger throttle.  I suppose you would get used to it, but was annoying in stop 'n go and in parking garages.  That was thankfully absent in the XV, or at least definitely muted.  Only went out for a short 10-15 minute drive.  I like the little 2L boxer & the trademark growl.  The CVT works just fine, no issues from me.  Asked the Mrs if she'd be OK with the CVT - said she didn't notice any difference than a regular automatic... so I guess that means, yeah - she's OK.
Didn't get onto the highway, but around town is lively enough.  It does handle well - planted with no body roll I could sense...dare I say it's even a bit fun to drive ...

So, both of us came away liking it & is definitely a strong contender. 

Before we (well, she since it will mainly be her car) make a decision, want to take out a Civic - had one for 10 years & was a great trouble free car,  so want to give it a chance, and also a Fiat 500.  Bit of an odd trio, eh?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2013, 04:26:32 pm »
She in particular likes the expansive view.  So, thumbs up from the boss.

Before we (well, she since it will mainly be her car) make a decision, want to take out a Civic - had one for 10 years & was a great trouble free car,  so want to give it a chance, and also a Fiat 500.  Bit of an odd trio, eh?

If you like/value the expansive view in the XV, stay far, FAR away from the Fiat 500 - the B pillar on the driver's side measures over 8" wide and sits exactly where your eyes would go to check your blind spot.  I want that car banned from North America for its poor outward sight lines, but needless to say, if you care about being able to see outside, stay away from the Fiat 500.

As for Civic vs XV reliability?  I wouldn't fret in the least about having any problems with the XV.  Subaru reliability is pretty darn good.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2013, 09:07:58 am »
Only went out for a short 10-15 minute drive.  I like the little 2L boxer & the trademark growl.  The CVT works just fine, no issues from me.  Asked the Mrs if she'd be OK with the CVT - said she didn't notice any difference than a regular automatic... so I guess that means, yeah - she's OK.
Didn't get onto the highway, but around town is lively enough.  It does handle well - planted with no body roll I could sense...dare I say it's even a bit fun to drive ...

So, both of us came away liking it & is definitely a strong contender. 

Next time you test-drive vehicles, don't medicate yourselves so heavily beforehand, lest you miss the buzzy engine, the NVH in the interior, and the crude driving experience.  :)
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2013, 09:40:53 am »
Next time you test-drive vehicles, don't medicate yourselves so heavily beforehand, lest you miss the buzzy engine, the NVH in the interior, and the crude driving experience.  :)
of course, nothing compares to your beloved Oldsmobiles...the benchmark for smooth, quiet riding cars with fantastic driving dynamics. ::)

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2013, 02:35:58 pm »
of course, nothing compares to your beloved Oldsmobiles...the benchmark for smooth, quiet riding cars with fantastic driving dynamics. ::)

That's right, now you're getting it...  nothing else comes close. As the immortal Tom McCahill described it, "like riding in a wheelchair upholstered in cream puffs..." :)