Author Topic: Cleaning bug guts.  (Read 10875 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning bug guts.
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 10:23:42 pm »
^^Poorboys stuff is all top notch!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-432
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 10:58:32 am »
3M wraps work wonders.  They protect the exposed portions of your vehicle from rock chips, bugs, etc.  A decade or more they weren't all that great as they would tend to yellow over time.  Today's films you won't have that issue. 

As far as bug removers go, I really recommend this product.  It works and its SAFE for your paint.

http://www.eshine.ca/poorboys_bug_squash_16oz-1804.php

That was sort of my point. Are all these products safe for the 3M wrap?  The bugs accumulate on the grill/fake chrome plastic and the 3M covering. The PO of my LR$ was OCD and has wrapped the entire front end of the Rover with 3M. The complete hood, all leading edges (front and back wheel arches etc). Must have cost a fortune. He was only a few panels short of a complete wrap. Anyhow Just wondering what is best to clean this stuff.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 01:12:49 pm »
Full frontal 3M file is in the $1500 range.
Ours was 'free', thrown in with the car, though I'm not sure if that's considered "full frontal" like snowman's was.  IIRC, Northtown Lexus in Buffalo charged $300 for the film, and installation would be about $85.  It was put on in July of 2007, and I don't see it as yelled at all, personally.  You can see that it's there, but it's held up exceptionally well and I would honestly recommend it to everyone. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 03:56:26 pm »
i recommend the 3m stuff for customers all the time... i usually quote 399. does the front of the hood, front of quarters and the mirrors (if painted)... i can get them to do a little extra sometimes as well... had a few people who get the entire front done. some work, some don't... a ram front end (sport) worked decently, but the occasional fold or edge would bug me. had a customer recently do the leading edge on the roof as well... hadn't seen that done before, but makes sense... i've seen a few cars with chips right above the windshield...

anyway, bugs... i'd try the dryer sheet on my patriot maybe... thanks for the tip ( i like all tips, even if i don't use em!)...

but i'm a spray, leave it, then spray, leave it then a good mf cloth to finish... you don't want to use too much elbow grease... too much and you are probably close to putting some light scratches in the paint...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 12:06:16 am »
It might be a great way to remove bug if you don't mind marring your paint.  No way in heck I'd take a dryer sheet to my paint.........but I'm more anal than most regarding my vehicles.  For mine and my customer vehicles, I use Poorboys Bug Squash and an MF towel.  Simple as heck and safe for your paint.
Never marred my paint.

Did you put it under a halogen lamp?
Umm, no. It's a hunk of plastic and metal, not my body. I used to be like you. Cleaning my cars every weekend, pulling out the detail brushes, doing the clay bar and wax and polish. Had cars that I never drove in the rain. Learned many years ago there are more important things in life. Sending time with my family, getting into volunteering, walking my dogs, preparing their meals[raw diet, no kibble for my dogs] spending time at the lake with good friends. My dad just passed away this past April. I learned more about him in the last 7 months, then I did in my last 52 years. I take care of my vehicles. Clean them when needed, park so they don't get door dings, but the bottom line, they are just vehicles. They don't love me, I can't take them with me when I kick the bucket.

I don't spend countless hours cleaning my vehicles.......I simply don't have the time.  I was simply pointing out that using a dryer sheet to clean bugs off is harmful to your paint.  An MF towel and a product like PB's Bug Squash takes no more time than a dryer sheet and is safe for your paint.
How do you know it damages the paint? You said yourself you would never use take on your paint. It worked fine for me. My paint looks as good as new. After I was done, I used a quick detailer and MF cloth. I was simply posting a method that I used and it worked fine AND did not damage my paint.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline CanuckS2K

• Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 10:43:32 pm »
It might be a great way to remove bug if you don't mind marring your paint.  No way in heck I'd take a dryer sheet to my paint.........but I'm more anal than most regarding my vehicles.  For mine and my customer vehicles, I use Poorboys Bug Squash and an MF towel.  Simple as heck and safe for your paint.
Never marred my paint.

Did you put it under a halogen lamp?
Umm, no. It's a hunk of plastic and metal, not my body. I used to be like you. Cleaning my cars every weekend, pulling out the detail brushes, doing the clay bar and wax and polish. Had cars that I never drove in the rain. Learned many years ago there are more important things in life. Sending time with my family, getting into volunteering, walking my dogs, preparing their meals[raw diet, no kibble for my dogs] spending time at the lake with good friends. My dad just passed away this past April. I learned more about him in the last 7 months, then I did in my last 52 years. I take care of my vehicles. Clean them when needed, park so they don't get door dings, but the bottom line, they are just vehicles. They don't love me, I can't take them with me when I kick the bucket.

I don't spend countless hours cleaning my vehicles.......I simply don't have the time.  I was simply pointing out that using a dryer sheet to clean bugs off is harmful to your paint.  An MF towel and a product like PB's Bug Squash takes no more time than a dryer sheet and is safe for your paint.
How do you know it damages the paint? You said yourself you would never use take on your paint. It worked fine for me. My paint looks as good as new. After I was done, I used a quick detailer and MF cloth. I was simply posting a method that I used and it worked fine AND did not damage my paint.

You're right, I have't tried that method.  I like to think that I have enough experience in the field to know what works and what doesn't.  And this is the detailing section, so folks, both experienced and not, will always give their opinions.  Also, the reason I asked you earlier if you used a halogen lamp is simply because you mentioned that it didn't cause marring to your paint.  If you want to know for sure that it marred your paint, you should really use a halogen lamp as it shows a lot more than the naked eye.....that's all.  Cheers. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
Cleaning bug guts.
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 05:21:54 am »
Although I've never tried it, I'm guessing it may not scratch. Our 2 newest laptops came with what feels identical to dryer sheets. The purpose? To prevent scratches on the screen.