Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Lexus ES, 2007'2012  (Read 15402 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Lexus ES, 2007'2012
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:29:34 am »

Last-generation ES looks like a solid bet in a used luxury sedan.

Read More...

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Lexus ES, 2007'2012
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:18:17 am »
Motor, transmission, and paint issues, what happened to the relentless pursuit of perfection?
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:53:15 am »
The relentless pursuit of higher sales volume and profits got in the way. Kind of amusing that a tarted up Camry could ever be considered the pursuit of perfection.

Motor, transmission, and paint issues, what happened to the relentless pursuit of perfection?

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:33:43 am »
ES wasn't front-drive luxury sedan, IT IS! Toyota took the Buick concept for a car and made it better, taking away tons of potential (and previous) Buick customers.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:15:23 am »
Weird that a rebadged Camry would be that problematic, just shows, if youre gonna buy a Lexus/Inifinity/Acura, make sure its a bespoke model, not a tarted model of the lesser brand.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:25:12 am »
Reading about the ES on Consumer Reports and reliability is at the top and owner satisfaction is up there as well. I disagree that the ES is problematic and see no real evidence of that.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:37:57 am »
Everyone harps on it about being a "re-badged Camry." Have you peanut gallery critics actually driven one? I drove a 2009 as my DD for 3.5 months last year. While it may be based on the Camry it's much more than a "tarted up Camry." It's floaty and luxurious and big and FWD. It's great at what it was built for and I'd agree that it's the Japanese Deville.

I see these everywhere, driven by our grey-haired friends, so they've found their niche. I think it's just about the perfect Grandpa car.

Actually I drove one from the late 90's in the early 2000's.....its a Camry, with some nicer interior bits. At least back then thats all it was.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:12 am »
My personal experience with ES shows me that the 07-12 is probably the most distinct rebadged car, comparing with the donor! Period.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 10:50:46 am »
Everyone harps on it about being a "re-badged Camry." Have you peanut gallery critics actually driven one? I drove a 2009 as my DD for 3.5 months last year. While it may be based on the Camry it's much more than a "tarted up Camry." It's floaty and luxurious and big and FWD. It's great at what it was built for and I'd agree that it's the Japanese Deville.

I see these everywhere, driven by our grey-haired friends, so they've found their niche. I think it's just about the perfect Grandpa car.

Actually I drove one from the late 90's in the early 2000's.....its a Camry, with some nicer interior bits. At least back then thats all it was.

Right, and this article and discussion is about the 2007-2012 run.....not the cars from over a decade ago.

Im not gonna argue wether its a Camry in drag or an actual luxury car, we both know what camps we are in. What baffles me is a Camry in a evening gown is being called unreliable, thats what I dont get. What did they do to the Camry to make it breakdown.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:04 am »

Im not gonna argue wether its a Camry in drag or an actual luxury car, we both know what camps we are in. What baffles me is a Camry in a evening gown is being called unreliable, thats what I dont get. What did they do to the Camry to make it breakdown.

For facks sake, are you doing it on purpose? Where in the article did you read that it's not reliable?
Especially for you:
"...
The Verdict: The most common issues with the last-generation ES are fairly easy to identify, diagnose and fix. If the model you’re considering checks out, you’ll likely enjoy a comfortable, reliable luxury motoring experience for years to come. Opt for a model familiar to a selling Lexus dealer to maximize confidence.
..."

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 11:06:40 am »
My issue with Lexus is not the reliability but lack of distinctiveness that most Lexus products lack when compared to the Toyota line.
There are some products that merely cosmetically different between high end versions of their Toyota products line. This vehicle is a prime example.
That being said if the L is enough to stroke one's ego...so be it. 
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 11:13:22 am »
My issue with Lexus is not the reliability but lack of distinctiveness that most Lexus products lack when compared to the Toyota line.
There are some products that merely cosmetically different between high end versions of their Toyota products line. This vehicle is a prime example.

??? Obviously you have never been in one if you can't identify the difference between a Camry.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 11:20:02 am »

??? Obviously you have never been in one if you can't identify the difference between a Camry.

Ya only sold them for two years at a local dearlership and worked 5 at a local Toyota dealership. Try again.

I was there when the Toyota manufacture reps tried to point out the differences but some cosmetics and sound insulation simply were not enough to convince me from what I felt and saw.

Like I said this did not apply to all Lexus products.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:23:52 am by redman »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 11:23:35 am »

Ya only sold them for two years at a local dearlership and worked 5 at a local Toyota dealership. Try again.

Then of all people you should know the differences between the Camry and the ES - quality materials, suspension, sound deadening, etc. Don't want to call you a liar or a hater but something doesn't jive here.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 11:24:43 am »

Right, and this article and discussion is about the 2007-2012 run.....not the cars from over a decade ago.

It's true. Just about the only thing I've ever disagreed with you on is your perspective on platform sharing - not being able to get over it. Everybody does it as just because an MDX shares a platform with a Pilot (or Odyssey and you like to dumb it down to) doesn't mean it's a bad thing - or even similar to those vehicles. We're not talking about Cavlier/Sunfire, here.

Im not saying platform sharing is a bad thing, the Camry is one hell of platform to build on, reliable and solid, but I dont see the ES as a Lexus. Its a Camry Limited, Eddie Bauer, Brougham, 5th Avenue, but a full blown Lexus badge....naaahh. Kind of like that Honda Civic with an Acura badge, my feelings for that are the same.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 11:27:31 am »
If I was shopping for a used Lexus ES I'd make sure to also test drive an Avalon. I think it looks better (inside and out), offers nearly the same refinement and features, and would most certainly be cheaper to buy.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 11:28:48 am »

Then of all people you should know the differences between the Camry and the ES - quality materials, suspension, sound deadening, etc. Don't want to call you a liar or a hater but something doesn't jive here.

I'm not a Toy/Lex hater and granted it's been a while but I was there when Toyota dumped down their products while only to rebadge some as Lexus products the next year.
So call me skeptical I'll accept that.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 11:32:13 am »
If I was shopping for a used Lexus ES I'd make sure to also test drive an Avalon. I think it looks better (inside and out), offers nearly the same refinement and features, and would most certainly be cheaper to buy.

:o :o but what will the neighbors think when you have a Toyota instead of a fancy Toyota in your driveway  ;)  ;D

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 11:36:05 am »

:o :o but what will the neighbors think when you have a Toyota instead of a fancy Toyota in your driveway  ;)  ;D

Exactly...how much are you willing to pay for a logo? I think that whole thing is asenine, but whatever. Keeping up with the Jones' I guess.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 11:37:14 am »

I'm not a Toy/Lex hater and granted it's been a while but I was there when Toyota dumped down their products while only to rebadge some as Lexus products the next year.
So call me skeptical I'll accept that.

So Redman, what are the differences between the Camry and ES of that generation and why don't you think it is worth it to move "up"?

I think Aaronk summed it best on the prior page regarding the new Avalon vs ES. I could not sum it up better.

My question to you is "do you have a vested interest in Lexus" ? Your defense of the line leads me to believe that you may be more than just an enthusiast. Please be honest.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:39:28 am by redman »