Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque HSE  (Read 10510 times)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque HSE
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 06:37:07 pm »
This thing has a nice new name, instead to use Freelander - the worse product this company ever have made. Well, at least it was a more reasonably priced, aside from the terrible reliability...But being overpriced, Evoque has a Ford derived engine with a very disappointing fuel efficiency. Anyway, the tradition will be preserved - these are the most catastrophically depreciated vehicles on the market!

so the obvious question: who shall be the first hero to throw a winch and snorkel package on their 2nd-hand evoque?  ;D

:hello:

Quietly waves left hand while petting purse dog with right.  ;)  lol

In all seriousness, I like the 4 door Evoque.  Not that I would buy one, ever, but I have sat in a few and they are nice little CUV.  The interior is really nice IMO.

Now the 2 door Evoque...  Eww...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 07:25:13 pm »
This thing has a nice new name, instead to use Freelander - the worse product this company ever have made. Well, at least it was a more reasonably priced, aside from the terrible reliability...But being overpriced, Evoque has a Ford derived engine with a very disappointing fuel efficiency. Anyway, the tradition will be preserved - these are the most catastrophically depreciated vehicles on the market!

so the obvious question: who shall be the first hero to throw a winch and snorkel package on their 2nd-hand evoque?  ;D

I like it too! - Especially the Justin Beaber's custom made one...But I don't pay the asking price for this offering. End of story!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 08:14:22 pm »
YO LK....dinnt Madonna do the whole egg Vouegge thang..........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 10:30:02 pm »
Agreed. The biggest weakness is definitely the uncompetitive powertrain. I cannot understand who is buying a $66k 4-cyl Evoque when they can get a V6 turbo Porsche Macan for the same money. Even if you spend another $10k on options for the Macan, you'll still be way ahead since they hold their value incredibly well.

Needs a new engine asap...this engine is weak for this application vs cost.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 10:47:56 pm »
Agreed. The biggest weakness is definitely the uncompetitive powertrain. I cannot understand who is buying a $66k 4-cyl Evoque when they can get a V6 turbo Porsche Macan for the same money. Even if you spend another $10k on options for the Macan, you'll still be way ahead since they hold their value incredibly well.

Good point about the Macan's powertrain, but I don't think it's a huge factor for this vehicle.  The type of people who are buying it aren't car buffs, they're just average joes who couldn't care less what's under the hood.  Telling them the Evoque is turbocharged is enough of a wow factor to impress them.

People who shop the Macan, on the other hand, are more likely to be car people, at least in my imagination anyways.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 11:51:55 pm »

here's another perspective: you can buy a Ford Escape with the same engine! I really like the Evoque, the design appeals to me...but it's heavier than a Escape by a good 400lbs?!

LR is supposed to come out with their own-made-in-house 2.0T - rumours put power at 270hp. The first vehicle to use it will be the new Jaguar XE...let's see what happens.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 08:17:08 am »
The base Macan has (or is going to) a 4 pot... Yes, at least a twin turbo V6 is an option, but at Germanic price increases.

Most poor souls who buy the Evoque don't care where the engine is sourced from..."it has a turbo!"

On a related note, the term "turbocharger" was incredible marketing back in the day of its inception.  Turning "turbine" into turbo... Classic.

The old boss with the Tesla was going to buy an Evoque while he waited for the S-class cabrio to come out, but after diving it he said the Evoque was a piece of :censor:. He did not mention the lack of power, the size of the engine, or reliability.... He said "it's a :censor: Ford Escape that you can't see out of".

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:58 am »
The base Macan has (or is going to) a 4 pot... Yes, at least a twin turbo V6 is an option, but at Germanic price increases.

Most poor souls who buy the Evoque don't care where the engine is sourced from..."it has a turbo!"

On a related note, the term "turbocharger" was incredible marketing back in the day of its inception.  Turning "turbine" into turbo... Classic.

The old boss with the Tesla was going to buy an Evoque while he waited for the S-class cabrio to come out, but after diving it he said the Evoque was a piece of :censor:. He did not mention the lack of power, the size of the engine, or reliability.... He said "it's a :censor: Ford Escape that you can't see out of".

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 10:07:03 am »

HAHAHHAHA  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2016, 10:43:29 am »
I'd consider this only in the diesel 180PS variant with the 6MT to avoid the 9-speed automatic.

(But really, I would never consider buying this)
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 10:53:56 am »
I'd consider this only in the diesel 180PS variant with the 6MT to avoid the 9-speed automatic.

that diesel would make the Evoque even slower...what's the point?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 11:18:56 am »

that diesel would make the Evoque even slower...what's the point?
More midrange for daily driving, lower CO² emissions, lower fuel costs, lower insurance and tax band (for applicable jurisdictions), lower fuel consumption.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 02:52:30 pm »

Good point about the Macan's powertrain, but I don't think it's a huge factor for this vehicle.  The type of people who are buying it aren't car buffs, they're just average joes who couldn't care less what's under the hood.  Telling them the Evoque is turbocharged is enough of a wow factor to impress them.

People who shop the Macan, on the other hand, are more likely to be car people, at least in my imagination anyways.

In my area, I see just as many Macans as Evoque on the road.  Macan came out a few years after Evoque, so I'm sure Macan will catch up and take over.
My logic is offspring of affluent parents who don't know much about cars will ask their car-buff friends on which car to get among the luxury CUVs, and the answer will be Macan (Base or S) 90% of the time.  Almost all of Macan drivers I see around North York are young Chinese females.  Their male friends drive QP, Astons, C63, GT-R, M4, etc.