Author Topic: Six vehicles get TOP SAFETY PICK and PICK+ awards from IIHS  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Six vehicles get TOP SAFETY PICK and PICK+ awards from IIHS
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:06:05 pm »

IIHS doles out awards to 2013, 2014 models. Civic first small car ever to get PICK+ award.

Read More...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: Six vehicles get TOP SAFETY PICK and PICK+ awards from IIHS
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:46:29 am »
I only count 5...

Forester
Civic
XC60
MKZ
Mazda 6

Where's the 6th?

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 05:31:38 am »
I only count 5...

Forester
Civic
XC60
MKZ
Mazda 6

Where's the 6th?

2-door and 4-door Civic are two different cars in the eyes of IIHS.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:39:54 am »
I only count 5...

Forester
Civic
XC60
MKZ
Mazda 6

Where's the 6th?

Lincoln MKZ

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:51:57 pm »
I only count 5...

Forester
Civic
XC60
MKZ
Mazda 6

Where's the 6th?

Lincoln MKZ

*facepalm*

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:52:49 pm »
they talk about it as if these are the only cars to get it.... http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr122012_TSP.html

13 other ones got it back in december....
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:03:16 am »
they talk about it as if these are the only cars to get it....

IIHS performs tests throughout the year, every year. They can't just test all cars at the same time and release the results in one large chunk. Also, it doesn't make sense to report all the vehicles in the current model year which have garnered the above mentioned accolades. The press releases would be huge and not contain enough info to make an informed decision. Their database is good for that, though.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:30:20 am »
Skeptical ME thinks by releasing the "WEINERS" every month or so you give BRAGGING RIGHTS to damn near everyone..............they do have to pass the test though.......anyone know last years total winning cars??????
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:15 am »
Skeptical ME thinks by releasing the "WEINERS" every month or so you give BRAGGING RIGHTS to damn near everyone..............they do have to pass the test though.......anyone know last years total winning cars??????

Not hard to find: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/tsp_2012.aspx

Also, PICK+ seems to be a new thing this year. The current vehicles awarded PICK and PICK+ can be found here: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/tsp_current.aspx

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 02:15:29 pm »

IIHS performs tests throughout the year, every year. They can't just test all cars at the same time and release the results in one large chunk. Also, it doesn't make sense to report all the vehicles in the current model year which have garnered the above mentioned accolades. The press releases would be huge and not contain enough info to make an informed decision. Their database is good for that, though.

thanks for that link mark. that's exactly what people should look for.

and my issue was that they mention these 6 with no link, tie-in, or mention of the previous "winners" of the pick+... yet i'm pretty sure the only new pick+ is the civic... so why mention the others in this article, but not all the ones to get a pick+

just seems odd to pick and choose like that. also, the link that you posted showing the cars that have been awarded something... there is no mention of the ones who get a top safety pick, but have yet to be tested for the pick plus... all that would take is an asterisk or something. some people i'm sure will think a civic is safer than all other cars in its class.....

but the truth?...

its the ONLY car that has been tested in its class for the minor offset.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 08:26:23 am »

and my issue was that they mention these 6 with no link, tie-in, or mention of the previous "winners" of the pick+... yet i'm pretty sure the only new pick+ is the civic... so why mention the others in this article, but not all the ones to get a pick+

just seems odd to pick and choose like that. also, the link that you posted showing the cars that have been awarded something... there is no mention of the ones who get a top safety pick, but have yet to be tested for the pick plus... all that would take is an asterisk or something. some people i'm sure will think a civic is safer than all other cars in its class.....

but the truth?...

Good catch!

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:20:50 am »

but the truth?...

Good catch!

So if they  tested the civic last year it would have won last year as well. It's the same damn car,except for the chrome.  :o
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:23:18 am by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:32 am »
true. if they tested the s60 in the 90's, it would have passed too. volvo has been doing minor offset testing sine the 80's.