Author Topic: Long-Term Test Wrap-Up: 2016 Honda Civic Touring  (Read 10407 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Long-Term Test Wrap-Up: 2016 Honda Civic Touring
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 07:32:09 pm »
I want to dispute the Civic as an appliance.

The Corolla is an appliance, but any car that you can get with a VTEC surely can't qualify; Honda is too quirky / ambitious to really produce appliances.

The 1996 did start them down the bland fork in the road, leading to the boring exterior of the 2000 and the midling driving experience of the 2005. But Honda were always trying to the car better some how - room, comfort, cost, ... .

I would say the Civic is an honest car. Usually light on accoutrements, but mostly fun to drive.

errr....other than Toyota, and possibly Nissan, Honda is the most "appliance"-ish of any of the car companies. In no way are they quirky and ambitious [until very, very recently].

Even though the Ridgeline wasn't the success Honda wanted it too be, I think they did a good job of doing something different.  Along with the Honda Element.  The Crosstour was a good idea, but the styling wasn't the most desirable.  And we are still waiting for the Civic hatch, after all these years.

Offline hoodlum

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Acura Integra
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 10:44:11 pm »
Based on the Hatchback leak in the US today, it will be available in LX, Sport, EX and Sport Touring.  And only available with the Turbo.  The Sport trim looks interesting as this is unique to the Hatchback.  If the Accord Sport is any indication we could expect upgraded exhaust system, larger wheels, larger brakes, different seats, leather steering wheel, aluminum pedals, moonroof and exterior cosmetic upgrades.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:49:46 pm by hoodlum »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 12:17:28 pm »
interesting to hear the foibles with the infotainment. even if it CAN be switched to be a bit more friendly, if an auto journalist who drives 50+ cars a year can't figure it out, that is just not intuitive...

great little car though. definitely a car worthy of a look for anyone thinking of this segment.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 12:04:18 am »
I've already made my position known on the Honda Civic many times. 

One comment:  Why can't all carmakers just license FCA's UConnect system?  It's almost universally lauded as the best infotainment system out there.  Car makers should just license it and install in all new vehicles, then at least there would be some degree of commonality between vehicles.  You wouldn't need to spend 3 weeks learning the infotainment system of your car.  Or a rental.  Or a friend's car.

I've had my Genesis Sedan 3 MONTHS, and haven't even begun to figure out all the tech like voice commands other than Bluetooth calling. I'm probably typical of many 50-60 year old buyers who just figure how to use the stuff they really need. My music is on a USB stick and I can fairly reliably scroll through the search options. Someday I'll sit down with the dedicated audio/nav manual to figure out some of the rest. The typical Civic buyer is much younger and, being brought up with tech devices, can probably figure out 90% of the tech without ever opening the manual (they'd just find the answers online anyways). Jacob is likely a bit of a "tweener", young enough to want to figure the tech stuff out , but a bit old to grasp it intuitively.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 12:05:59 am »
I've already made my position known on the Honda Civic many times. 

One comment:  Why can't all carmakers just license FCA's UConnect system?  It's almost universally lauded as the best infotainment system out there.  Car makers should just license it and install in all new vehicles, then at least there would be some degree of commonality between vehicles.  You wouldn't need to spend 3 weeks learning the infotainment system of your car.  Or a rental.  Or a friend's car.

I've had my Genesis Sedan 3 MONTHS, and haven't even begun to figure out all the tech like voice commands other than Bluetooth calling. I'm probably typical of many 50-60 year old buyers who just figure how to use the stuff they really need. My music is on a USB stick and I can fairly reliably scroll through the search options. Someday (maybe) I'll sit down with the dedicated audio/nav manual to figure out some of the rest. The typical Civic buyer is much younger and, being brought up with tech devices, can probably figure out 90% of the tech without ever opening the manual (they'd just find the answers online anyways). Jacob is likely a bit of a "tweener", young enough to want to figure the tech stuff out , but a bit old to grasp it intuitively.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2016, 06:31:15 am »
I want to dispute the Civic as an appliance.

The Corolla is an appliance, but any car that you can get with a VTEC surely can't qualify; Honda is too quirky / ambitious to really produce appliances.

The 1996 did start them down the bland fork in the road, leading to the boring exterior of the 2000 and the midling driving experience of the 2005. But Honda were always trying to the car better some how - room, comfort, cost, ... .

I would say the Civic is an honest car. Usually light on accoutrements, but mostly fun to drive.

I believe you meant the civic from the 80's and 90's when Honda was hip with NSX, integra, S2000, prelude, civic SiR in their fleet with real VTEC not the new crappy iVTEC...also since they ditched the double wishbone it has gone downhill...
What's so crappy about iVTEC?  From my understanding, the latter actually helps with low to midrange torque as it can advance the intake cam phasing, which is where traditionally VTEC suffered.