Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Honda Insight LX  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Honda Insight LX
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:06:05 am »

Peter Bleakney warns that the Insight won't thrill drivers, but it delivers on its mission of affordable efficient driving.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Honda Insight LX
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 07:25:10 am »
"it pushes like Kirsty Alley at an all-you-can-eat buffet."

That isn't a push, it's a one woman stampede.  The handling can't be that bad.

So the Insight is now aligned dead against the Prius C.  I've been amazed that the Honda system does not allow fully electric operation at speed.  A huge disadvantage.

The C is very slick in its operation and you forget instantly that the ICE is cutting in and out.  I haven't driven the Insight but the C would seem to be the clear choice here from the reviews published on the Insight. 

However, if the Insight can deliver on its mileage targets and since the driving experience can be adjusted to, I guess it is not a bad choice.

A great opportunity for a hybrid comparo.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:45:56 am »
The reason why the Insight has failed worldwide is that it is a bad car. European models were facelifted after one year to address concerns about interior quality and the ride/handling (sound similar to another Honda?!) - but they left the North American version alone. It's noisy, uncomfortable, jerky, it feels cheap and it's woefully underpowered compared to the Prius with the 1.8.

Honda has lost its way - the only car in the range I'd buy without hesitation is the Fit, the refreshed Odessey doesn't seem too bad. The new civic, cr-v, current accord, cross-tour etc are very disappointing to me given how Honda used to achieve as a company.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:12:11 am »
I too am a Honda fan and to your list of (two) worthy models would have to be added the CRV and the Civic SI. 

It's not as though they have started making bad cars but they aren't the clear leaders they used to be and certainly Toyota is leaving them and everyone else in the dust when it comes to hybrids.

The CRZ is probably a pretty nice execution of its design targets but it has fallen between market niches.

Crosstour??  MISTAKE.

John M.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:18:39 am »
"it pushes like Kirsty Alley at an all-you-can-eat buffet."

That isn't a push, it's a one woman stampede.  The handling can't be that bad.

If it pushes anything like the i-MiEV, this may not be an exaggeration.  Eco tires, skinny tread width and a focus on fuel mileage has it compromises in other areas.  I guess it all depends on a driver/purchaser's priorities.

I'd also like to thank Peter for driving this car two weeks before I was to pick it up (which was this week) so I did not have to split review time between it and the EVO ;D

too am a Honda fan and to your list of (two) worthy models would have to be added the CRV and the Civic SI.

I think I have no driven every Honda minus the big guys - Odyssey, pilot and the ridgeline.  I agree, the Civic Si, CR-V and Fit are my standouts.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:30:17 am »
I'm Honda guy too and I'm disproportionately disappointed by this newest edition of Insight. This one is a product where Honda must show example of leading engineering - not just because Honda have begun the hybrid game before Prius and it's the biggest manufacturer of engines in the whole world, but because Honda was established before all with brilliant automotive engineering...This car is a focus of all wrong Honda's attempts in recent years. It's sad to say that Honda fall down from automotive leader to mediocre manufacturer...

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:20:46 am »
 I'm wondering that if this car with just the tiny 1.3 litre engine might not achieve similar mileage results, without all the electric crapola..
  That, and the horrendous design, in and out being changed, might render this thing palatable..Otherwise...(geez...check out the plastic hubcaps)  Jack