Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Mazda MPV, 2000-2006  (Read 13831 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Mazda MPV, 2000-2006
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:09:44 am »

Smaller than most minivans, the Mazda MPV is more fun to drive, says Contributing Editor, Chris Chase.  But despite Mazda’s generally good reputation for dependability, the MPV is “decidedly average in the reliability department,” he says.

Read More...

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Mazda MPV, 2000-2006
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 09:30:04 am »
Hmm...I wonder if an MPV could be a viable low cost replacement for the wife's rust bucket Caravan?  Does the third row fold into the cavity at the rear?

unctuous

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:16:58 am »
The back folds in but the middle must be removed.  I would another Dodge over a MPV.  My dad has a 2004 MPV and it has been nothing but problems and is not built very touch for all the abuse a van usually gets.  His old Dodge's and Plymouth's looked much better after 6 years.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:23:57 am »
Hmm...I wonder if an MPV could be a viable low cost replacement for the wife's rust bucket Caravan?  Does the third row fold into the cavity at the rear?

I have a 2006 MPV (GT) and the third row does fold flat into the cavity.  The second row has a 'sliding' feature where, from the passenger-side sliding door, you can push the two seats together as a two person bench or pull them apart for two captains chairs.  Surprised no one else picked up on that.  Both second row seats are very easy to remove and replace, albeit heavy.

The GT has an option of a sunroof that almost reaches into the second row - it's HUGE.  Also somes with a transmission cooler as part of the trailering package which was standard on the GT package.

We love the van although it has some foibles (small water leak up near the high mounted brake light and a poor weld on the waterpump that leaked) but otherwise 48,000 kms of regular maintenance.
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:12:35 am »
More fun to drive?? Your idea of fun must be a stimulating day touring Ikea. ;D.  Smaller than the competition yes,  but fun?

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:13:44 am »
...says the Volvo owner.  :rofl:

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:07:08 pm »
More fun to drive?? Your idea of fun must be a stimulating day touring Ikea. ;D.  Smaller than the competition yes,  but fun?

I have a friend that has a current verions of the Caravan and also the most recently past version of the Caravan.  She much prefers the handling and ride of our 'old' MPV over the floating disconnected feel of either Caravan. 

Granted, I've never tried a four-wheel drift in the MPV, like Toyota did with the Sienna in their ads a few years back.   ;)

to_gundam

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 12:12:50 pm »
I am currently owning a 2002 MPV with GFX (ground effect package), no major issues (touch wood) yet...electrical parts are stable in our van even we got power sliding doors and sunroof, etc....we are happy owner of this van with just 145K KM city driving usually.   ;D

Love this van very much and want to keep it for 2 more yrs to celebrate 10th anniversary... hope Ford/Mazda rethink to join the mini-van competition, since the competitors are going NOT mini-Van already, too big and eat too much gas other brands on the road, since most van owners did not fully occupy 7 seats all the time... we just need a van could handle daily travel with 4 individual captain seats for all the passengers seat in the car comfortly... that is it.  Rethink true "mini"-Van market, Mazda 5 is good though, but not he best, an in-Line 4 Turbo Charge mini-Van is on my wish list, borrow it from CX-7 and bring a new mini-van to the market.   Power on demand is what customer need from true mini-van owners...

;)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 12:52:58 pm »
We owned a 2004 MPV GS-GFX for a little less than 4 years.  Although quite attractive in Titanium, well packaged and fun to drive (for the category), our van aged at an alarming rate.  Both front doors were replaced on warranty for rust perforation, rear fenders were also repaired for the same reason.  Rear hatch was repainted because of significant rusting on its lower lip.  A 3 y.o. car making rust stains in your driveway ?  >:(  There's also the IAC valve issue that makes the engine stall whenever.

I had a coil failed during a business trip, brittle wiper arms broke off.

The van has some very real qualities, but build quality / endurance is at Russian levels.

Need I say more ?  I have over 1000 posts on MPVClub.com ... great site, still keeping up with the guys.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 12:55:41 pm »
I demand a pic of the reviewer drifting said vehicle to back up the fun claim.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 01:23:20 pm »

The MPV had a real handbrake, operating by hand and located on the floor between the seats as God intended all handbrakes to be.  Turns out it only came with a stick outside of NA.

In the snow, you could get some seriously fun power drifting by locking the rears.  In the dry, the 3.0 trashed the oem crappy Dunlops quite easily ... move from a light, van gets into 2nd gear, floor it, drops to 1st and spins tires like crazy despite already being in motion at 10-20 km/h.

But I can't, like, take pics of myself while doing these things...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 03:18:55 pm »

The MPV had a real handbrake, operating by hand and located on the floor between the seats as God intended all handbrakes to be.  Turns out it only came with a stick outside of NA.

In the snow, you could get some seriously fun power drifting by locking the rears.  In the dry, the 3.0 trashed the oem crappy Dunlops quite easily ... move from a light, van gets into 2nd gear, floor it, drops to 1st and spins tires like crazy despite already being in motion at 10-20 km/h.

But I can't, like, take pics of myself while doing these things...

Nice. Now that is what I am talking about. Hoon driving in a minivan. ;D

Offline Pleem

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Equinox
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 04:18:20 pm »
We owned a 2004 MPV GS-GFX for a little less than 4 years.  Although quite attractive in Titanium, well packaged and fun to drive (for the category), our van aged at an alarming rate.  Both front doors were replaced on warranty for rust perforation, rear fenders were also repaired for the same reason.  Rear hatch was repainted because of significant rusting on its lower lip.  A 3 y.o. car making rust stains in your driveway ?  Angry  There's also the IAC valve issue that makes the engine stall whenever.

I had a coil failed during a business trip, brittle wiper arms broke off.

The van has some very real qualities, but build quality / endurance is at Russian levels.

Need I say more ?  I have over 1000 posts on MPVClub.com ... great site, still keeping up with the guys.

We have a 2004 MPV; bought new.  Ours has been somewhat troublesome but not as bad as yours was.  No engine/tranny problems other than a bad oxygen sensor, disconnected rear exhaust manifold (broken bolts, $750 to fix) and rusted-out lines between tranny and rad.  Power window motor in drivers door has been replaced and rear brakes were wearing much faster than the those at the front until they were completed replaced.  Then there was a persistent rattle from something underneath.  As much as we generally like the MPV the long list of issues has left us disillusioned.  Very unlikely we'd buy Mazda again.   

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 06:20:22 pm »
It seems another Mazda product with premature rust.  Interesting.  Hopefully they have rectified this.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 10:27:23 am »
Although it may have some "issues", I think the main problem with the MPV is it's size.  It's noticeably smaller than it's comp. and it's engines are smaller than most of it's comp. which means it'll be working harder when you use it like a minivan (loaded with people and gear). The older MPV was a much better van than this one.

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 05:11:46 pm »
Although it may have some "issues", I think the main problem with the MPV is it's size.  It's noticeably smaller than it's comp. and it's engines are smaller than most of it's comp. which means it'll be working harder when you use it like a minivan (loaded with people and gear). The older MPV was a much better van than this one.

Comparable Caravans had 180 horse V6's is I recall, and it matched similar short-wheelbase minivans of the era.  We had three adults and three kids on a round trip 3,000 km venture into Northern Ontario, and it was great especially with the 5 speed auto (which, again, most of it's competion didn't have). 

The only accomodation we made was switching to higher octane gas from regular unleaded. 

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 11:05:28 pm »

Comparable Caravans had 180 horse V6's is I recall, and it matched similar short-wheelbase minivans of the era.  We had three adults and three kids on a round trip 3,000 km venture into Northern Ontario, and it was great especially with the 5 speed auto (which, again, most of it's competion didn't have). 

The only accomodation we made was switching to higher octane gas from regular unleaded. 

Yes but any Caravan had a pushrod engine which means it makes over 200 lb/ft of torque at low rpm, which will handle weight easier than a OHC engine that needs to rev to make power.  Especially a smaller engine like the Mazda's.  Plus the Caravan had the option of 2 sizes and more than 1 engine.  This didn't.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 09:13:06 am »

Yes but any Caravan had a pushrod engine which means it makes over 200 lb/ft of torque at low rpm, which will handle weight easier than a OHC engine that needs to rev to make power.  Especially a smaller engine like the Mazda's.  Plus the Caravan had the option of 2 sizes and more than 1 engine.  This didn't.

Could  you explain how having pushrods means you'll have more torque?  Or for that matter, why an OHC engine needs to rev to make more power?
Mr Pickypants

Andy H

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 01:19:53 pm »
The Caravan with the 3.3L engine:
HP: 180hp @ 5000RPM
Torque: 210 lb/ft. @ 4000RPM.

The MPV:
HP: 200hp @ 6200RPM
Torque: 200 lb/ft. @ 3000RPM

They both seem like they are similar in the end, with the Caravan losing out in the upper end (HP) and the MPV losing out in torque. BUT it does come at a lower 3000RPM vs 4000RPM so it actually doesn't need to rev as much as the OHV engine in the Caravan. Also, don't forget that the Caravan weighs 200lbs. more than the MPV.
:)

We had a 2002 MPV for about 6 years and finally this month traded it in for a 2010 Mazda5. The MPV was a very nice change from other minivans in that it really was a sporty drive (well, relatively speaking). Turns were very sharp and crisp, it was a breeze to park in tight spaces, and with the 3.0L engine it was peppy when you were carrying just a few people. I drove both the Odyssey and Sienna and while they do have more power, you could also feel that they weighed significantly more. We had to trade it in though because it was at over 200,000km, and the ignition coils were starting to go and a ton of rust started to develop all over the place. :(

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 04:50:45 pm »
A 2002 with rust all over the place? Is this the mid eighties again?  What is with Mazda and rust?