Author Topic: B.C.'s left-lane hogs to face tougher rules, transportation minister promises  (Read 18456 times)

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
 :popo:
Just hope that this will work as for one I am sick of the left lane bandits. What I started doing is stay behind the slow guy in the left lane and flash my lights and signal left and hope that they get the message. I do this three times and then I pass on the right if they don't move over. Don't know what else can be done or how we can educate drivers. Maybe I am wrong.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-s-left-lane-hogs-to-face-tougher-rules-transportation-minister-promises-1.2979684

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
A public shaming campaign and huge fines would work quite well. Good on you BC, just went to Calgary this weekend and the amount of degenerates napping in the passing lane was aggravating.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
A public shaming campaign and huge fines would work quite well. Good on you BC, just went to Calgary this weekend and the amount of degenerates napping in the passing lane was aggravating.

QE2 is a dream compared to the complete lack of lane discipline in the lower mainland.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

QE2 is a dream compared to the complete lack of lane discipline in the lower mainland.

Thats a whole 'nother subject......when you buy your licence you can't be expected to know anything about driving.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Ontario PLEASE follow suit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
I just drive in the right lane it's always empty anyways

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
We have an interesting phenomena here on three lane roads.  The middle lane is the most used lane, and the left most lane is the "fast" lane - leaving the right most lane almost empty.  I drive on the freeway most days and call it "my personal lane" as I'm usually in it all alone.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Exactly

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
First they raise the speed limit, now this... What's wrong with BC? Why is their government taking reasonable decisions?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
There are not enough police on the roads to enforce this so I pass on the right like Wing does, I just don't care anymore.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
I kind of understand the gravitation towards the middle lane... avoids lane changes every time someone tries to merge. That being said, definitely not appropriate behaviour on 2-3 lane highways.

In the 401/403, there are so many lanes and so much entry/exit that it makes sense the second lane from the right is not frequently used for travel, during peak hours.

However, the leftmost lane should be kept clear unless you're passing. The HOV lanes on the 400 highways kind of make that harder, however, but it's not like traffic ever moves that fast on them during peak hours anyways.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
I kind of understand the gravitation towards the middle lane... avoids lane changes every time someone tries to merge.

People also need to learn how to merge correctly. So many times I have somebody pull up right beside me when there are NO cars behind me.

I've noticed more often that big trucks think its fine to drive in the middle of three lanes even when there is no need.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Zipper merging means no need to move over.  Just stagger properly in the right lane and the merging lane, and it works.  Who f-cks it up?  Morons that figure that they win the F1 championship if they get ahead by one friggin car.  Or doofuses that sit in the center lane until they need to exit.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Absolutely. People just need to learn that zipper merging is more efficient regardless of where you are in the line.

However there are definitely cases where it doesn't matter what lane you're in. 401/403/QEW at rush hour comes to mind. In those cases leaving the right lane relatively empty may be a good thing.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Zipper merging means no need to move over.  Just stagger properly in the right lane and the merging lane, and it works.  Who f-cks it up?  Morons that figure that they win the F1 championship if they get ahead by one friggin car.  Or doofuses that sit in the center lane until they need to exit.

Yep and just had that happen to me in the city. There is a car in front of me but nobody behind me but this idiot thinks he should floor it (lane ending merge) to get past me and squeeze in front of me where there is no room. After finding out that I wasn't going to brake just for him he almost went into the snowbank. Once behind me he had to put on his high beams to prove he is still an idiot.

The 'funniest' part is where he was turning left up ahead he still would have been no further ahead because he had to wait for the traffic to clear before turning.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
^^ not sure if it's the same in Ontario, but here drivers have a 50/50 responsibility to merge safely. So even if the guy trying to merge is being a douchebag, the driver in the traffic lane still has a responsibility to brake or move over in order to let him in.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Thought of an incident that happened to me a few years ago:

I was driving and had a coworker (older fellow) along as a passenger. We were doing about the speed limit in the right lane of a four-lane, divided roadway.

As we came up to a merge lane on the right, a car came onto the on-ramp at a pretty good clip, then gunned it to merge in front of me.

I'm thinking "Wow. Someone who actually knows how to merge. He saw a gap, didn't screw around and just went for it. I never had to adjust my speed or even wonder for a moment what he was going to do or whether I'd have to adjust for him. Nice."

Meanwhile, coworker in the passenger seat says "What an a$$hole! Gunning it like that just to race in front of us. Idiot needs to learn how to drive!"

Can't please everyone, I guess. ;)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
^^ not sure if it's the same in Ontario, but here drivers have a 50/50 responsibility to merge safely. So even if the guy trying to merge is being a douchebag, the driver in the traffic lane still has a responsibility to brake or move over in order to let him in.

Don't know if it is or not but when a car comes from 6 cars back going 20-30 over the limit to squeeze in between the only two cars in the lane....they get no respect from me. There is a reason I check my right mirror when the lane is ending.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
First they raise the speed limit, now this... What's wrong with BC? Why is their government taking reasonable decisions?

Well, they did announce this at the same time as the new speed limits and I have seen no evidence of enforcement yet.  As Snowman says, not enough resources.  Apparently the police agree with him too: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/left-lane-drivers-not-a-priority-say-b-c-police-chiefs-1.2983991

....Although police chiefs support the legislation, keeping drivers safe is the association's top priorities with police chiefs wanting more focus on reducing accidents caused by drug-impaired driving and distracted driving.....

2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Citizen Patrol!! Move Over or else!! Have that RIGHT and freedom to tailgate those left land-hugger and honk.