Author Topic: MK 7 GTI vs MK 6 Golf R : and one of the worst sales guys i met so far  (Read 8834 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: MK 7 GTI vs MK 6 Golf R : and one of the worst sales guys i met so far
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 11:00:45 pm »
The GTI is a great FWD car - no doubt about it.  And if the R was stupidly expensive (like I thought it was going to be) then the GTI would be the choice.  But, it's a much tougher call thanks to VW bringing the R in with very aggressive pricing.

Part of that is because VW only offers the five door GTI in Autobahn trim in Canada starting at $33k. Meanwhile in the U.S. you can get a base S with PP for something like $28k.

Which is why I was very sure that they'd be only offering us a $45K+ Golf R.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 11:18:30 pm »
If I were shopping a hot hatch, I'd hope that my budget would allow a Golf R with an APR Stage 1, and even though the manual won't launch like the DSG, I'd still go DIY shifting just 'cause.  Then I'd try to sort out some de-badging.  A plain-looking Golf that appears maybe to have had some wheels installed that is similar in performance to a TT-RS?  What's not to LOVE about that?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 11:27:31 pm »
Just from what I've read, seems that for the MKVI the GTI is the way to go. MKVI R was kind of blunt and dull, and probably not worth the extra coin over the GTI.

But for MKVII, VW really stepped up the R's game, making it a compelling buy, even over the already-great GTI.

(Just my Coles-Notes perception. Some reviewers obviously differ, like that video posted elsewhere.)

I would agree except that the tests of the GTI are always with the performance pack.  In Canada, that offering comes with the DCC as well.  The difference in pricing between the GTI with the PP, leather and Navigation  and the Golf R is $3K, the latter of which gives you slightly different seats, 72hp more, AWD, and larger tires apart from some visual differences.  The Golf R is a steal in comparison, unless one goes for the base GTI, where there is a significant price difference.

Yes, just looking at the Canadian site now and if I were shopping today I'd have to go with the 5-door Autobahn Performance GTI for $35,200. I'd be stuck with a bunch of stuff I don't want, but at least I could get cloth. R would be $39,995, so almost $5k more, but possibly worth it.

In a perfect world, I'd be able to get a 5-door spec'd just like the base 3-door for $27,995. Add say $3k for the performance pack, and I'd have my perfect GTI for around $31k. Not available now, but not impossible that something like that would be offered in a year or two. At $9k less than an R, and without all the stuff I don't want anyway (leather/sunroof/nav/giant rims), that would probably be my choice over the R.

But, as long as I'm dreaming, imagine if VW offered a stripped-down, performance-focused R for like $35-37k?  :drool:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 11:47:40 pm »

But, as long as I'm dreaming, imagine if VW offered a stripped-down, performance-focused R for like $35-37k?  :drool:

Unless they start taking lessons from Porsche and charge more for deleting stuff...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 06:49:58 am »
Gawd....I'm dying here waiting for our my wife's Golf R to arrive from the fatherland.

:rofl2:

:rofl2: ;D