Author Topic: Comparison Test: All-Wheel Drive Compact Cars  (Read 5744 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: All-Wheel Drive Compact Cars
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:05:24 am »

Can Mitsubishi beat Subaru at its own game?

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Comparison Test: All-Wheel Drive Compact Cars
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:06:25 am »
I really think the "new" smaller engined,CVT equipped Impreza is a step backwards for Subaru. I sure hope the ever increasing quest for fuel economy at all costs doesn't do to performance in today's cars what pollution controls did to cars in the 70's. Unfortunately, it looks like things might be moving that way. :(
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:53:52 am »
Subaru goes the fuel-efficiency route with a 2.0L inline-four

This, from a hardcore Subie guy!  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:19:03 am by Mike »
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:19:21 am »

I swear I had it different before.  I need to go change that  :-[

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:59:11 am »
What I really liked about the Subaru of old was the stiffer body handling and the low end torque the 2.5 delivered. Maybe all this car needs is Toyota's D-4S injection system which uses both direct and port injection in the the BR-Z / FR-S ?
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 02:02:42 pm »
When these two could be compared as functionality, they are distantly away in terms reliability and quality. Subi is the winner with highes resale value and the nest reliability in long term altough Mitsu is better interms afordability as is available for financing with 0% for 84 months!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 02:12:05 pm »
I really think the "new" smaller engined,CVT equipped Impreza is a step backwards for Subaru. I sure hope the ever increasing quest for fuel economy at all costs doesn't do to performance in today's cars what pollution controls did to cars in the 70's. Unfortunately, it looks like things might be moving that way. :(

IMO, they reduced fuel consumption the easy way. Anyone can reduce fuel consumption by putting in a smaller engine, with less power.

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:41 pm »
Great comparison review.

Personally, I'd still get the Impreza hatch back though.  But that's just my presonal preference.  :)
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »
Good on Mitsu for swapping out the winter rubber.  Would have loved to have heard that conversation " You don't know what these people on the forum are like!"  :rofl:

I agree that even though it is long in the tooth, the Mitsu is still the better looker.

I'll take my sporty compact sedan sans CVT.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 10:18:51 pm »
Good on Mitsu for swapping out the winter rubber.  Would have loved to have heard that conversation " You don't know what these people on the forum are like!"  :rofl:

I agree that even though it is long in the tooth, the Mitsu is still the better looker.

Jaeger

You can't.  The Lancer AWD only comes with CVT whereas the impreza can still be had with a manual transmission.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 10:24:50 pm »

I swear I had it different before.  I need to go change that  :-[

I thought it was a V-4??? :rofl2:

your editor is asleep on the job...  :sleep: :run:
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 12:43:34 pm »
Thanks for an interesting comparison. The Lancer did better than I expected. In HP/LB the much more fuel efficient Subaru trails the more powerful Mitsubishi by a only 0.6 hp/lb (20.05 vs. 19.45. Maybe a worthwhile tradeoff as it looks like the Lancer would be using about two litres more gas per hundred km than the Impreza in AWD. Too bad about the CVT's, but otherwise a useful and informative comparison.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 04:47:15 pm »

Jaeger

You can't.  The Lancer AWD only comes with CVT whereas the impreza can still be had with a manual transmission.

Sure I can.  I just buy something without a CVT.  Easy peasy.  Never said I would buy the Lancer - I said it looked better.

Jaeger

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 09:00:42 pm »
I slag on Subaru for their lousy dealers, but around here they seem amazing compared to the Mitsu dealers. I think Subaru is on the right path with the Impreza, as it needed to have better fuel economy but I worry that each new product has less character and more Toyota-ness to it. But, if the BRZ is any indication, maybe that is a good thing.

I'd love to see an Impreza Sport that notches way under the WRX and uses the new 200hp engine. If they can bring the BRZ to us for 27K, why not an existing platform hatch with that engine for the same or less?

I'd buy a 200hp awd Impreza for $25k way ahead of anything in the upper Civic/etc crowd.

Offline nbtoab

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 01:04:22 am »
A couple of years ago I decided to stick to posted speed limits when driving, crazy notion eh! But I have 15 and 18 yr old sons and wanted to impress upon them that driving the speed limit is not such a bad thing, especially since the new graduated license system in AB is harsh on young speedy drivers. But after a couple of years of this, I've noticed a few changes, a certain calmness prevails over my driving time even as driver after driver franticallly whizzes by me. And now, I'm considering a new vehicle, one offering the opportunity for my wife to use on occasion after 10 yrs of driving a manual trans, something she could never quite grasp. I've driven a couple of CVT equipped cars during my "posted speed limit phase" and found them decent enough. As most are installed in the name of fuel efficiency, no doubt they are here to stay. Maybe what you should have is a giant CVT equipped vehicle comparision and let us all know what's good out there and what to avoid.